Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I have a 96 ZJ I picked up a while ago that I have an issue with. There is a fuel smell in the cab since
I filled the tank more than half for the first time. I think I’ve narrowed the source down to the little lines that
Attach to the top of the fuel pump module. I was able to view this without dropping the tank because a previous owner helpfully hacked a hole above the fuel pump for easy access.

What I’m trying to figure out is what these lines are called so I can replace them. The pump is fine and it runs it’s just smelly.

I’ll post a pic when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Krakkles posted:

According to the XJ FSM (which, configuration is likely the same, but part numbers may not be - lucky there aren't any here!), you're probably looking for the Fuel Supply Tube and/or the Evap Canister Vent Line.

Mine is a different module it has a line in and a line out as well as an electrical connection

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Need some help guys. I replaced the headlight bulbs in my 93 ZJ today and now when I reconnect the neg battery terminal the security system goes nuts and it won’t start. It turns over and starts to catch but then dies right away.

What the gently caress? All I did was disconnect the negative battery cable, remove and replace the bulbs, and reconnect the negative cable. It has been running perfectly since I bought it in July.

This is the first vehicle newer than 1978 that I have ever worked on and I’m at a loss here.

Any ideas?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Durrrrr all I needed to do was use the key to unlock the door while the battery was connected.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
XJ 2 door window regulator hell lol drat what a pain in the rear end

any parts listed online for the 2 door are actually for the 4 door so won't work

have to send mine from here in Vancouver to the states to get rebuilt

great sadness invades my heart

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
did the oil pressure sender in my XJ today. gauge was pinned before, now it's fine and it seems to be running better under acceleration too. 5 minute job.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
starter went in my xj just in time for snow! have the new one here just need enough time to crawl under on the street and get it swapped in.

Haven't done this on mine before; anything to watch out for?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hell yeah

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
slept on swapping in a new starter overwinter and when I fired up the xj the alternator seized and shredded the belt weeee

new alt and battery going in soon weee

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I backed out the long bolt to adjust the belt tensioner too far and it came out of the lower threaded part. Fucker is bent and I'm having a hell of a time getting it back in the hole (I drew some hair around it already).

Any ideas? Trying to guide it with a flatblade is a pain.

Thinking of some kind of funnel device.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

kastein posted:

This is on a 4.0 96 ZJ right? If it's like the XJ one, unbolt the idler pulley completely from the little block that it and the tensioner bolt go through, then thread the tensioner block onto the bolt by hand and get it seated in the right spot, then bolt the idler pulley back onto it. It's way easier without the idler and its bolt constraining the block and tensioner bolt.

If you're feeling like never wanting to gently caress with that stupid bolt again, run a tap through the block on the tensioner bolt hole (IIRC it is m8x1.25) and put some antiseize on it and the bolt before reassembly.

99 xj these days

thanks for the tips will get at it again soon

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
back wrenching on the XJ. snapped the bolt to adjust the tensioner pulley.

Is it better to try and find a replacement bolt or replace the whole assembly?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
ordered the bolt bits should be here tomorrow

previous owner woes, guy at some point did an AC delete so I'm thinking of putting that back in once it's back on the road

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
amazon, we'll see what they actually send thanks for the info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
amazon bits worked fine

so new alternator, starter, belt, battery.

hosed it off and took er for a rip

took a few starts before it would run more than a second or so. I got out and glared at it while having a smoke then when I tried again it was fine

good to have it back on the road