Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
You always want to have a tow vehicle heavier than the sum of what you are towing, so maybe a mid 90s 5.2L Cherokee Laredo with the tow package (better trans cooler, rear end and springs I think) are great and are dead reliable if you remember to fill the trans with the proper dodge ATF. My best friend's 94 GC laredo made it 280K miles and 2 hard teenage drivers on it only with a transmission change at 200K, I think the wrong ATF killed it the second time but the engine was fine, passed smog, and drove great (minus trans) at 280K. Interior short of the seats stayed together pretty well, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Disciple of Pain posted:

Wait... The tow vehicle always needs to be heavier than what you are towing?

Need? Nope, I have towed some insane poo poo with my old 91 Toyota pickup (5500lbs once with that 2600lb truck), but for someone driving a normal height trailer with a car on it (top heavy), likely no active trailer brakes, and likely little experience would definitely benefit from the stability that a heavier tow vehicles with specific towing upgrades.

The Grand Cherokee still got 20mpg with the AWD, 5.2L engine, and A/Ts on the highway if you went 70mph, and I think towing was still 17-ish, which is the same as I got towing 2500lbs with my short bed 1/2 ton 4 cylinder stick toyota pickup.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 24, 2008

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

Looks just like a 2.5"-3.0" screen size rebranded garmin unit. [I'm guessing its based on a older GPS view]

If you want a good off road GPS, go for a Lowrance, they're usually used in aerospace, boating but most off road desert racers use them:

You can get a Baja 540c for 449$ if you look around, really bright 5" color screen, rugged enclosure.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/GlobalMap-Baja-540C/

We have a bunch of these, a few on the hummers, one on the trophy truck and another mounted on our toy hauler. They have a larger models, 8" to 16" screens/touch screens but they run over a grand.

They have topological data and are geared more for trail use as the city/street features are relatively basic on these units.

Honestly after working at the place selling the Lowrance units to all the desert racers, I've never really liked them much. They still are basically marine chart plotters with at-best ultra basic route planning. Also the smallest (540c) is the same as the largest (9200) in everything except raw screen size and $1200, there are no feature or benefit changes. The 9200c has a hard drive (worthless) and dual card slots, but thats it. Lowrances can't stand desert racing, the return levels on the units was pretty high, and the antennas (which are $200 each out of warranty) probably reach 75%. They don't do anything people want from a car GPS, and still break in the desert.

I did really like the Lowrance XOG, its their tiny handheld. Reads the Lowrance maps and does turn-by-turn and plays music. I thought it was a good alternative to the cheapest Garmin Nuvi, but the newer Nuvi models do traffic and stuff, which is pretty neat.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Anyone have a link/info on that turbodiesel swap that someone in AI was doing? Did that ever get finished?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

MrZig posted:

Those people are also retards because waiting until the gas light is on can be horrible for the fuel pump. Not only might it overheat but it can suck in any sediment in the tank.

Since fuel pumps always pull from the bottom of the tank, no. The only thing you could get would be floating stuff, and even then it'd have to get past the pump sock, which is around 30 micron. Water/liquid contamination and finer particles can get through, but those aren't ususally floating on the surface of a tank.

I pulled a 560K mile tank from a Cherokee on its original pump and the sock was only somewhat dirty, but if you fill from billion year old metal Jerry cans or Bubba's Backwater "Gas" Station you might have issues, but there's little the sock won't get.

Overheating isn't that much of an issue, there are plenty of internal pumps converted to external use with no adverse effects. Most pass the fuel around the motor windings and absorb the heat generated, which isn't much.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kastein posted:

I'm not even sure I would replace that line - does it drip a lot? Any mechanical damage or signs of fraying/failing? If it's just weeping, whatever, it'll keep the jeep from rusting as much :v:

Problem is that the crimp either physically failed to hold the hose correctly, or the hose liner failed. Either can spontaneously fail and eject the hose from the crimp.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Interestingly, they appear to be using 2-speed diffs at either end rather than a transfer case.

I wonder if they can be retrofitted to other vehicles "easily", it'd be a fun upgrade for double low range.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I had a car that blew them all the time, and it was something else that was on the O2S heater circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'd say leaking fuel pressure regulator or a stuck injector. Check the regulator's vacuum line and pull your plugs to see if a certain one is wet or really sooted.