Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
If someone thinks this warrants its own thread then I will move it...

I finally have the money to replace the shocks on my '94 Wrangler. Any advice on what to get?
I'd like not to spend much more than about $300 for all four. I have no lift kit or any other mods that would affect the suspension. I like to do light trail riding when I can (Speaking of which, does anyone know somewhere good to go in North GA for real beginners?).

I have never bought shocks before in my life so treat me as the newbie that I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
After running on stock shocks for 15 years :cry: I think it's about time to replace them. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's a '94 yj and I'm not running any lifts or anything so I'm not looking for anything super heavy duty since I don't get to go off road very often, but it is my daily driver. My budget is about 3-400 for the four. I haven't been driving it 15 years, I bought it about 5 years ago. It was someone's weekend car with no off roading so the shocks were in pretty good shape until recently.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Old Man Emu.

Those look like they are for lifted only, or am I reading it wrong? Their two sets available for YJ are the N33 and N34, which are specified as 2.5" lift and 3.5" lift. Do those specs mean up to 2.5/3.5 lift?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm pretty sure they have different sizes than what you see in catalogs, I'm pretty sure they have replacements for oem and I think I've seen their shocks on 4-5" lifts.

Failing that Most places now have all Bilstein shocks 4 for 3 now. I think you can get 4 5100s for around your range. The 5100s are a shock many people can't seem to shut up about.

I think I'll get the 5100s. 240 for a set of 4 doesn't seem bad for a shock that people can't shut up about. The OME would be 320 and I can't find anyone with 0" lift.

Thanks for the help.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Argh. So apparently the Bilstein 5100 series doesn't actually come in a no lift version, even though it is listed as such. Looks like my 15 year old shocks will have to last for another week :(

As an aside, 4wd.com is being really awesome about it, although they seem a little upset with Bilstein for giving them a bad listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

jonathan posted:

FYI 2" lift shocks are usually the same as stock height shocks. Rancho 5000's for a 2" lift extend 2" longer than stock, but also compress 2" shorter than stock, so in theory you could even use them on a lowered vehicle.

They are 4" minimum lift unfortunately.