Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ethanol posted:

I have a 1999 Wrangler Sport. Last week, I noticed that the gauges were dead. Specifically, the needles all pointed to as if they were off, but the backlight and trip computer was still on. Also, when this happens, the airbag light comes on.

This problem is intermittent, although I would say that 50-70% of the time, the gauges are dead. During a drive, they will come alive randomly and then perhaps die again.

What's going on?

Did you happen to buy my old TJ? :D

Seriously, it used to do that - mostly when it was colder out. If I hit the gauge cluster, it would usually spark the gauges to come back to life. I never did figur out the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Woohoo! Winter has finally hit the Northwest!

Had a little fun in the snow today.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm going to go with the xenon "flat fender flares".

Click here for the full 650x816 image.

But, but... those are plastic!

Now that Poison Spyder stopped manufacturing everything, I was saddened that I couldn't get flat fenders for my JK.

Until I happened upon these:

http://www.riverraider.com/ProductsTubefenders.html

Now I just need to set aside the coin to buy them!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

benzero posted:

What setups do you have, recommend?

Buy a JK? :D

Actually, I don't have any advice for you. My TJ had a lovely stereo which I finally just got used to. I didn't want to put any money into the stereo due to the fact I kept the doors and top off half of the year. Once I traded it in for my JK I'd forgotten how much I missed being able to listen to music in my Jeep! Also, being able to hear the stereo at 70 MPH is awesome.

Although, don't the TJ Rubicons come with a center console sub? Try one from a pick and pull?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

Nice tubes!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

qxz9p posted:

Hey guys I'm in the market to buy a new '08 or '09 Rubicon this upcoming weekend. I went to my local dealership to search and they found 3 within 200 miles that meet my requirements (manual, 2dr). Unfortunately they can only search new inventory, I would have no problem buying a pre-owned. Anyway, a Rubicon has been my dream car for the last 8 or 9 years and I'm finally so close I was wondering if you guys have any warnings about things I need to look out for so I don't get shafted either in the price or features. Also do you guys have any recommendations/knowledge based on experience that I should know about before making such a huge purchase?

Well, the dealers are hurting at the moment so you should be able to get a great deal. My friend just bought an '09 Rubi last month and got the hard-top and soft-top thrown in and drove out about $500 less than I paid for my '08 last year (I only got the hard top). Kinda pissed me off - wouldn't mind having the soft top too!

Just be prepared to walk away if you don't like the terms. I sat for 2 hours negotiating my price and finally said exactly what I'd pay and if they couldn't meet it, then we're done. They said no so I left. They called the next day and gave me my price.

Also, you will love your Rubi. I just rolled over 10K miles on mine and couldn't be happier.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Tremblay posted:

Mind tossing out real numbers?

I was out the door (tax, licence, etc.) for less than MSRP.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Do the '09s really come with a glass breaker?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Couple of pics from this weekend:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Philip J Fry posted:

Is that Manastash/Tripod Flats?

No, that was on 4WD327, a Jeep trail I didn't know existed until I happened upon it while looking for a geocache this weekend. It's on the Teanaway side, near Red Top lookout. Windy as hell up there and cold to boot!

The approach to where I'm parked was long, steep (40 to 50 degree), strewn with some decent sized boulders, and loose dirt. The only line up one patch puts your front right tire down into a divot and then popped it up, aiming you straight for the sky. Fun trail!

I was up at Tripod Memorial Day weekend, still some snow up there and muddy as poo poo. Going back in a few weeks to see how much of the trails are snowfree now.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Goob posted:

Do you have these in a larger size? They would make excellent desktop backgrounds.

Yeah, I can post 'em up when I get home from work.

edit: Oh, here's some info on the trail I was on:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/BakerCreek.htm

Those pics were on the "knowl" [sic] they describe. We came in the short way from the FS road and climbed up the steep part they talk about. Going back down was not nearly as exciting. If you look at the map on that link, it shows the steep part and the camera icon is exactly where I took those pics.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 22, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Ugh, the dilemma. I have the opportunity to pick up a used soft top with all the hardware for my JK tonight for $375. I usually just run the "t-tops" of the hard top and my tonneau cover during the summer, but recently (read: in a torrential thunderstorming downpour) found that the JK "t-tops" tend to channel heavy rain onto one's back and head, regardless if you are moving or not.

So, to pickup a bikini top, header channel to attach it, a wrap around cab-curtain, the soundbar cover (to attach the top of the curtain) and the loving door surrounds, it would run me about $400, so really what the hell am I even debating?

I think I just talked myself into a soft-top.

edit:

Here are the larger versions of the pics as requested. Wallpaper ok, posting anywhere or use for anything else is not.

Click here for the full 1900x1425 image.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 23, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

I could just be a huge puss, but after slapping on a hard top I won't go back to soft top in the winter.

Yeah, my ex had a soft-top TJ when I had my hard top TJ. I also wouldn't want a soft-top in Seattle in the winter. Her's was always damp and drafty. Plus, I'm up in the mountains and snow all the time.

Oh,and I got the soft-top for my JK last night. $350, guy gave me a beer and helped me put it on. Had a nice X too.

Just running it up with the windows out until the forecasted rain goes away.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

I went to eDecals.com and used their creator thingie. $8 a piece, but I wanted them so....

Used to be someone in SAMart who made vinyl for decent prices. If I had thought about it, I would have checked there first.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2856460&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Kitsch is awesome, quick, and does great work. I've ordered a bunch of stickers from her. Plus, she's got great prices.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

autophreak posted:

When you compare the two treks, the Samurai was very heavily modified. The jeep only had a winch, tires, and altimeters added. Its really not a fair comparison.

Both treks are cool. I am impressed how the Jeeps were 99% stock. I knew I loved my Rubicon for a reason!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

though I like the Sahara 18's better. Been thinking about looking for a used set.

More wheel = less sidewall = more scratches.

I like my stock Rubi wheels, but have been thinking about switching them out to the Cragar black steelies. I love the look of those. However, I've already scratched my stock rims to hell so I don't think I could sell them for a whole lot.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DFWlly posted:

:smug: It's 2 wheel drive though....

FAIL.

Jeeps are meant to be 4WD. JK owners get enough head-shakes as it is, what with all the fancy options and creature comforts. Get a 2WD and prepare to be mocked mercilessly.

In other news, here's my Rubi near Mt. St. Helens the day after I climbed it:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Just washed the Rubi and was reminded why I don't do that. Without all the dirt and mud, the scratches are highly visible on my black paint!!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

you found old style goodyear mtrs? or are those bfgs?

Those are BFGs

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

I think a lot of the fear about retreads is perpetuated by those who don't really understand the process and assume that the treads are just glued on or something.

Or the fact you see them littering the highway everywhere. No thanks.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Philip J Fry posted:

I just found your website...wish I had found it Monday before leaving for Mt Baring. My buddies and I were going to climb it and one of them was going to base jump off it but we had no idea where the trail was. loving Honey Buckets! :argh:

Ha ha ha ha! Nice. Yes, that's one hell of climb up there. I would definitely choose to jump off over hiking back down. It is, however, worth the scramble!

edit: Wow, I need to finish adding stuff to that site

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 6, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Went camping again this past weekend and whilst out on one of the trails, we came upon this:

Our Forest Service rocks. I talked with the ranger for a while and found out you can volunteer and ride along on the weekends. So doing that next summer.

Some more pics:

Can you spot the Jeeps?

It's hard to capture the roughness and steepness of trails.

After wheelin' this weekend, my electronic swaybar suffered a malfunction. The light won't stop flashing as if it's in the midst of engaging/disengaging. So it's off to the dealer in the morning. :mad:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

I know you're in WA so where is that? I need to go.

The lake is Gallagher Lake on trail 4W301 - pretty easy trail (I saw a stock Exploder up there last time, although I'm sure it scraped a bunch).

The FS Jeep and trail shots are the Van Epps Pass/Mine trail 4W302/303.

Both are near Cle Elum, down FR 4330, past Salmon La Sac.

Info and free maps of the entire Cle Elum Ranger District's ORV access:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-orv/

Also, FYI: If you head up to Gallagher Lake, bring your fishing pole - I pulled a nice 13 1/2 inch rainbow trout out of there. Delicious!

Another nice resource for Washington is https://www.nwjeepn.com. They have pretty decent trail descriptions and maps.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

upsciLLion posted:

This is almost enough to push me into buying a Wrangler over a Cherokee.

FYI my friend made it up both of those trails last year in his stock Cherokee. Just sayin'.

Also, picked the Rubi up from the dealer. They fixed the swaybar light AND put in a brand new clutch. Apparently there was a service bulletin on it. They didn't detail it tho.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 2, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

That looks great. I've been thinking about doing the Hurculiner to the inside of my JK's top but now I'm thinking carpet is the way to go. Oooh, actually I'll have to see how much of a pain in the rear end it would be with the "t-tops" section.

Regardless, it'll have to wait til next spring when the hardtop comes back off for the season.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Evans Creek scares the crap out of me by reputation alone. I don't like expensive noises.

Naches is a fun trail. However the lower portion on the westside can be treacherous in the rain. The upper portions are a nice scenic drive and not technical at all.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Pitch posted:

My dad has kind of a beater of a Jeep. It's a '97 Wrangler hardtop. Among it's other issues, there's at least one piece missing. I can't seem to find out what this exact part is called to order one, so I was looking for some help.

You can see where it should fit here, between the tailgate and the rear glass:

Is this just a portion of the hardtop that's been lost in whatever wall the PO drove it through?

It's not missing anything. The bracket that goes there is for the soft-top. Or tonneau cover.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

But it's another thing that DC was totally inconsistent with.

Oh yeah, that's right. They used different brackets for different years too! My 99 TJ's wouldn't fit on my mom's 2000. The bar on the window was thicker. Found this out when I gave her my tonneau.

Pitch posted:

And it isn't supposed to have weather stripping or anything to seal the rear glass?

Also, yes in the pic, it does look like it's missing the rubber weather stripping on the bottom of the window bar (in my defense, I upgraded to my JK almost 2 years ago and haven't been studying the intricacies of the TJ since then).

giundy posted:

Hard tops shouldn't need any brackets to attach.

We're you agreeing with me or did you not see that I wrote the "bracket is for the soft-top"?

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2010

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Boomerjinks posted:

Does anyone else really like the JKs with half doors?

I dunno, any day I could run half-doors, I'd rather just run no doors.

Also, I think I've come up with an alternative to installing $200 heated seats in my JK.

A $30 electric blanket + a $20 power inverter = Warm topless, doorless cruising on cool summer nights.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Gavitron posted:

and I'm with braincloud on the doors. I'll probably fab up some cheap tubes to pacify Dudley DoRight this summer, and leave them in the trunk.

Not allowed to run doorless in your parts? I've driven by many local (Seattle Police) and State Patrol with the doors off and a foot hanging out and not had any of them so much as bat an eye at me. Just as long as my seatbelt is on.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ohjoshdarnit posted:

edit: Thanks SNiPER_magnum, I should've thought of that. Went to a Schuck's and it was "P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low."

I've got that same code on my 08 Rubi. It comes on and off sporadically. I haven't taken it in yet.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Anyone in the Seattle area need a stock JK Rubi bumper or know anyone who does?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1636545656.html

I upgraded to a stubby and have no use for this.

edit: VVV poo poo, I hadn't taken any pics of the new bumper. This is the best I have. Sadly, it is lacking a winch.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 16, 2010

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

EightBit posted:

Transmission choice comes down to preference. I wouldn't consider either superior as they both have benefits. Rough terrain will be a bit easier in an auto since you won't get such bad lurching when your foot bounces on the gas pedal; either way, you'll want a hand throttle for driving over uneven terrain so you can avoid unexpected throttle changes.

If you're slipping your clutch like a bitch, use a lower gear or put the transfer case in low; you shouldn't be going fast in that kind of situation anyway.

I agree with all of that except the hand throttle part. You only even need to think about installing one of those if you're doing some seriously hardcore terrain - like boulder crawling in a highly modified rig. Low gear and your foot are just fine for 98% of wheeling.

And yes, transmission choice is personal preference. I have a manual 08 Rubi and my friend has an auto 09 Rubi. Both work just great on the trails here in the PNW. I prefer manuals, although sometimes I do envy him when I'm sitting in traffic and giving the clutch the ol' in&out.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

nubie7357 posted:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I have no idea... It looks like a CJ hosed a frog... (Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know it's a M422 Mighty Mite and it was made that small so it could be carried by helicopters, and yet it could carry 6 Marines!)

lovely rims and Thornbirds. The pinnacle of good taste.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

jonathan posted:

Friend's fake Rubicon.

She's hot though so who cares.

Sure that's a Rubicon? It's got the Sahara running boards and fenders.

And it's way too clean.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Boomerjinks posted:

That picture seems to be missing something...

Ah, there we go

Click here for the full 1024x576 image.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

GENTELMEN PREPARE TO CREAM YOU MANTIES!!!
Yeah, I'm leaving that typo

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91928

If you think it aint poo poo to click.

GODDAMN THIS FUCKER IS HAWT

Manties creamed. That thing is sweet. And has had a LOT of ducats poured into it!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BYOB posted:

2010 Wranglers have a criminally underpowered engine holy poo poo. I can barely break 80 going up an incline on the highway.

Huh, is that in a 4-door? I have no issues doing 80+ up over Snoqualmie Pass here in Washington in my 2dr Rubi. But I have the 6 speed and definitely not in 6th gear.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BYOB posted:

I was specifically referring to a two door Rubi driving up Snoqualmie Pass. :buddy:

Washington is the best place for Jeeps. :hfive:

Ha ha ha, nice! Washington is definitely the best place for Jeeps. :hfive:

But yeah, I'm usually in 5th hauling rear end up the pass. YMMV (mine is about 14mpg whilst doing that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

A.o.D. posted:

Are new Rubicons a bad idea if you want to go offroading?

I had mine on the trails with only 600 miles on the odometer. I also play rough with my toys.

If you don't go offroading, how are you supposed to get to places like this?: