Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Moey posted:

This would be a fun project, if I had a garage and free time.

How were brakes and tune up parts $2K?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone here own a early Pentastar Wrangler that has had problems?

A 2012 JK popped up for sale near me for a pretty good price, but after reading about the head problems and casting sand issues on the Wrangler forums I'm not sure if I want to roll the dice or not.

I had a 2012 Rubi. Had the dealer replace the head under the recall and never had any issues other than that. I would still have it today except I sold it for a down payment for a house. I miss it everyday (2 door, manual)

Btw, I bought it brand new, had it for 6 years, and sold it for $6K less than I bought it.

Edit: oh wait, I had to replace the clock spring after like 4 years :shrug:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

mod sassinator posted:

My XJ has 31's and the stock gearing (something like 3.55 gear ratio) with the 4 liter and it's probably the limit of how far I'd go without more attention to the drivetrain. Around the town power is fine but it gets noticeably sluggish going up mountain passes, long freeway trips, etc. I usually have to take it out of overdrive and just buzz around at a higher RPM for a bit to keep the transmission from downshifting constantly.

Pfft, my XJ has 32” JK takeoffs with the stock drivetrain and I can do 80mph up the pass.

In totally unrelated news, there’s a weird clunking on the front passenger side wheel when turning after it’s been sitting overnight and goes away after I drive it a bit. :iiam:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
My XJ has a case of the front-end clunks, however it goes away once it’s driven a few hundred feet. Seems to be only the passenger side.

4” lift, I’ve replaced the track bar with a RE one with heims, sits on stock JK rims and BFG Mud T/As. 2” hub-centric wheel spacers (which have been checked for wear and torque). I have pushed, pulled, wiggled, kicked everything under the front end and cannot figure out why it’s clunking and why it goes away after a short distance. Only comes back after sitting a while.

U-joints are solid, some play in the front driveline but that seems to be from the backlash, plenty of clean fluid in the diff, bushings are all in good condition. Wheel bearings maybe? I get no horizontal movement on the wheel when jacked up and I push/pull on the top and no signs of fluid leaking.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Definitely not the track bar mount - I drilled it out to install the new RE trackbar and larger mounting bolt. Was clunking before the upgrade and upgrading didn’t fix it.

It’s just weird since it goes away after driving a few hundred feet and doesn’t come back until it’s been sitting a while.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Premature, but what are the top three accessories I just must have?

1. Locking fuel door/cap (I live in Seattle, this matters)
2. ?
3. ?

ps Suggestions from below
vv Onboard air
vv EZ deflator, recovery bag
vv

Do the JLs come with the hood lock from the factory? I installed a Mopar one on my JK (apparently this is stock in Europe) - also in Seattle and didn’t want someone jacking my battery or pulling wires.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Found this tragedy while camping over the weekend. Looked like it was a super cherry 2-door 98-01 XJ before winter crushed it. Paint was in great shape and interior was clean. RIP XJ ☹️

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Gah. XJ has been having issues starting in Park, usually had to jiggle the shifter to get it to turn over. No problem, gotta be the Neutral Safety Switch. Popped it off and cleaned it, put it back on and no dice, same problem. Adjusted it the tiny bit it allows and same thing. So I bought a new one and put that in. Still didn’t fix it. Totally starts in Neutral. Park will start sometimes. Mostly just annoyed at this point. Not sure what else would cause this? Maybe the shift linkage is shot? :iiam:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Gah. Fuel gauge in the XJ started doing funny things like getting fuller as the tank emptied. No problem, probably the float sensor on the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump and … didn’t fix it. Now to see what else it could be. ‘98 XJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Well that was a fun surprise to find

Good news is they weren’t able to steal it.

They also tried to Hotwire it by tapping into the steering wheel controls wiring harness 🤦🏻‍♂️

And I learned it takes less than 2 minutes to drill out the ignition cylinder and start an XJ (or get the hosed up cylinder out to replace it)

I also learned how to re-key a new cylinder by sight. (Good luck reading the wafer numbers on the old cylinder after drilling it out!)

At least it was a cheap fix ($30 for a new ignition cylinder and steering column trim piece)

Fun with Jeeps!