Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

OneOverZero posted:

instead of the ugly-rear end white one I'm stuck with now.
:colbert:

InediblePenguin's '96. Blew the head gasket at just under 200,000 miles.

You can't see it in that picture, but it has no rocker panels. There's the floorpan, the doorsill, and a foot-long hole in the where the gold trim should be under both back doors. Yay New York road salt!

My old SJ:

:cry:

(Ate a Ford Ranger that was doing 70mph. I wasn't hurt.)

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If it was produced by Ford, it's a GPW, not an MB.
That reminds me. The "gently caress with the newbies" question when my dad got into Special Forces in '69 was "How many Jeeps are there on Fort Bragg." The FNGs would go around counting, making lists of bumper numbers to make sure they didn't count any twice, then come back to their CO and give him their count, which was always wrong.

The actual answer was One. The General's staff car was a Willys; all the other quarter-ton utility trucks on base were Fords.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

The Jeep was a sidekick in the Popeye comics
I want to get a CJ and paint it like Popeye's pet. Yellow overall, white rocker panels, pink winch, and a CB antenna in the center of the back bumper.

RexSS345 posted:

I can't find it again, but I've seen a picture of an SJ Cherokee pulling out a high-centered H1. That was pretty funny.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Advent Horizon posted:

That'd only work if there weren't any M-715s. They say 'Jeep' in pretty drat big letters across the tailgate.
Maybe "little Jeeps" was specified. It's been a while since he's told that story.

I want an M715. Body of a Gladiator, engine (and fold-down windshield) of a CJ, but geared low enough to still pull a house down. Fits 44" tires on the stock suspension. Relatively abundant, because they were sold to backwoods VFDs when the Army got rid of them, and the fire departments are finally getting enough money to upgrade. Lots of them you see for sale nowadays have V8s swapped in.

There was one in one of the Tremors movies, but I can't find a picture. It was yellow.

Also available in ambulance form as the M725:

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Do you seriously get 13mpg?
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. My AMC 360-powered Wagoneer got 13mpg. InediblePenguin's 4.0 XJ got around 20mpg, and she drove it like a maniac.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
No pictures on this page yet? Shame on you.

I just remembered these, from when the newspaper sent me out to shoot some offroad meet.

On the trail.

VROOM! gently caress you, hill!

*snap* Oh shi--

Went charging up, broke the driveshaft, and came tumbling back down. Luckily the broken driveshaft stuck in the ground and stopped him before he hit the bottom and flipped over backward.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Disciple of Pain posted:

What the hell is a "nice beather"?
"We got to the carburetor fire in time, so there's only a small nole burned through the hood." :v:

As for your FSJ plans, I've seen a couple of them with the tops cut off. One done really nicely with body filler, a cage, custom aluminum inside door panels, and everything (looked like a Baja truck); and the other with a Sawzall (looked like a beater shortbox pickup with the top cut off, until you noticed the rear door handles). Both had their strengths. The latter was running some ridiculous tire size like 44" without any lift at all -- he just took the Sawzall to the fenders as well. Man, that truck was loving awesome. I can't remember whose they were, but poke around the readers' rides section on ifsja,org or as on the forum and I'm sure you'll find tham (the nicely done Cherokee was red with balck and yellow trim, and the hacked up Wagoneer . . . was red at one point.)

I think 33" is as big as you can go on a stock 4-door FSJ without cutting anything, fyi. Something like 36" on a Widetrac Cherokee.

I miss my Wagoneer. :( Sure, the tailgate window only worked half the time and most of the side window motors were weak at best, and it got 13mpg after I fixed the leaky fuel pump . . . but gas was cheap and it sounded good with dual glasspacks (well, "good" is relative. One of them fell off while offroading, and I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me).

I want a 715, with an AMC V8 (or a big diesel) in place of the tiny six.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MetalClawWolf posted:

It also leaks a little oil, from where I am unsure.

That's the built-in chassis lubrication system. :v: