Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, just got a 2016 Sport. Very basic, only wanted connectivity, that's all I bought. Has the lovely Wrangler ST tires. I drive on dirt roads, badly paved roads with lots of loose gravel (Evergreen, Colorado), and lots of snow. Not much off road, bought it mostly for the snow. Wrangler Duratracks? Seems like the best overall wet/dry/snow tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Godholio posted:

The guys I knew in Utah that run mountain trails every week swear by Duratracs, unless you roll through a lot of sharp rocks. Those guys wanted the kevlar sidewalls. But Duratracs are supposed to be great in snow.

Those little babby tires will actually do surprisingly well until about halfway through their treadlife. They look awful though.

Thanks. Big snow this weekend, so I'll have a chance to see how they do. The dealer so badly overinflated them, I haven't seen how they feel at proper pressure, so who knows. 43psi, jeez.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, replaced my Wrangler STs and stock wheels with Black Bear Edition wheels and tires (Wrangler SilentArmor). Love the tires. Can't get the tire pressure system to read the sensors. First 5 miles, no problem. Then, disappeared, and now has a hash mark for all four tires, no reading. Any guidance on resetting the sensors monitor?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Godholio posted:

Did you change the overall tire diameter? The computer needs to be reprogrammed, if so. There are a couple of ways to do it, but none are free (unless your tire shop can, which is doubtful). An AEV Procal is probably the easiest, for $150.

Yeah. Ok, we'll see what the dealer says in. a year or so when I do first maintenance. Thanks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Godholio posted:

In the meantime your speedometer and odometer are wrong.

There are some online calculators you can just punch in the old and new tire sizes and it'll tell you how far off, so you can avoid getting a ticket or get it fixed if it's too much (bad odometer readings can potentially bite you in the rear end if it's significant).

Yeah, I have to figure my right tire pressure, my speed and my odometer. Fixing odometer is only one I'm concerned with.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Godholio posted:

Here's my semi-effortpost on JK headlights:

The super cheap way to go is Philips Xtreme 80+. For some reason these are widely considered the best replacement bulb. Apparently they're legitimately brighter even with the JK's low average voltage

I'm thinking about doing this for a quick/cheap upgrade on my 2016 Sport, but can't figure out the part number for the Philips that fits. The one site I found didn't list the Wrangler for a part number.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Krakkles posted:

Why wouldn't they just look on the side of the tire?

That's sadly what a lot of people do.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, I have a 2016 Sport, with just over 3000 miles. Get a postcard from the dealer, "According to our records, your Wrangler may be due for the following service: 3000 mile Maintenance Service."

So, I took a look. I can find no mention in the scheduled maintenance of such a service. Jeep's owner's website shows I have no maintenance scheduled or due before 10000 miles. I plan on first oil change and tire rotation at 5000 miles.

My feeling is this is a money maker scam by the dealership, am I wrong?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Godholio posted:

It absolutely is, and they will never EVER stop.

I still get contacted by the dealership I bought it from in March 2012, despite moving away in June and telling them so every 6 months or so when they call me about service or great trade-in offers.

I hate dealerships. Fortunately, I have a good local mechanic to do my routine work, and will not be gracing the dealership with my presence outside of warranty work.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Captain Apollo posted:

My wife rented me a brand new 2016 Wrangler Sport Unlimited for my birthday.

She is dumb because I LOVED it.

Though a question sticks out: What is the reasoning behind Jeep not including automatic headlights in 2016? I'm thinking there has got to be a logical explanation that involves rock climbing somewhere.

Base model. The automatic lights come higher up the chain, but they do have them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My 2016 Sport S keeps popping out of reverse. Terrible grinding, shifter just pops 3/4 of the way out. Is this a common issue?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

No, take it to the dealership ASAP

Alright then, crap. thanks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McDeth posted:

This is of course bullshit, as before the collision everything was loving fine. What are my options? What type of attorney should I be talking to?

Before you talk to an attorney, make a sworn statement of the condition prior to the accident, and get statements from other folks who can attest the new damage is, well, new. Submit to your insurance, and if they still say no, then go see an attorney.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McDeth posted:

15 inch alloys on 35 inch Goodyear Wrangler MTR's. I wanted steelies but finding a 15 inch steel rim that would fit over the stock brakes was proving to be a PITA.

Hit it pretty much straight on, a little to the drivers side. I hit it with enough speed to actually do a fair bit of damage to the Rock Hard 4x4 front bumper and ride up on to of it a bit, hence the front crossmember damage. Fortunately it didn't go all the way up, otherwise my tie rod would have probably been hosed.

My issue is that the adjuster isn't saying the damage existed prior to the accident, he's saying that as a result of the rock rash and other related dents and scrapes on the undercarriage that naturally comes as a result of rock crawling in the Sierra Nevada's, THAT'S what caused the conditions that allowed the additional damage to the doors and rear quarter panels and therefore, was prior damage and not covered.

Go see an attorney. Their position may be tenable, an attorney who specializes in this can tell you. A mechanic you trust may be able to give you a statement saying that's bullshit, which would also help.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McDeth posted:

Finally met someone who wasn't enthralled with the build quality of pre-buyout Poison Spyder bumpers

My recent photo of my jeep was happier. Not as satisfying, but happier.

Jeep by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Getting the Jeep out in snow? Why yes. Also, taking the trash to the gate.

IMG_20170111_074717_545 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Great. My 2016 Wrangled Unlimited with 18K miles just had the stick shift go completely loose. I can get it in all the gears, but it's crazy. And, apparently, a common issue on the 16. It looks like it's a loving plastic bushing. Taking it in tomorrow and hope they habe the part available since that seems to be a common issue too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Wow. It's subject to a recall. And, the fix makes the throw of the stick much tighter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm waiting a couple years on the JL to let them knock the kinks out. Really interested in the diesel.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

hagie posted:

New to the thread, and high potential Wrangler owner in the near future. I am about a full year out on making the final decision on this (just starting down payment savings after refinancing the house) but I am struggling hard with figuring out the trim specs on a 2018 Sport and Sport S Wrangler.

My initial assumption was that the Sport was bone stock, with no window tint, roll up windows, black wheels and key-unlock doors.

In an email conversation with a dealership that won’t leave me alone thanks to TruCar, I decided to take advantage of their persistence...and I am told that it is not true. I’ve heard something of a “24B Sport” vendor code that half-way makes a Sport into a Sport S with some of the electrical creature comfort features.

I’ve perused some other forums and that poo poo is mostly full is sycophants and repetitive rehashing of the same poo poo. Anyone have a clue? I have very few options I am “requiring” so Sahara and Rubicon’s are full of poo poo I don’t need.

I bought new in late 2015, and just told a local dealer i wanted Sport, unlimited, and the only option i wanted was the bluetooth package, and find the closest fit. One month later, thats exactly what i got.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just replaced my Duratracs, Goodrich inflated them to 45 psi all around. Thanks, that's my Jeep story for today.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, which of you goons owns this?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/us/dorian-myrtle-beach-jeep-owner-trnd/index.html

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Non-mechanical Wrangler issue.

I have the base stereo, the 130. No screen, just lcd for radio station, etc... It now has three ways of working.

1. Turns on, connects to Bluetooth, satellite, no problem, but no sound. In this mode, the volume knob does nothing. Turning it doesn't even change the bars shown for volume.

2. Turns on, connects to Bluetooth, satellite, am/fm, but sound is 3 seconds on, .5 second off. For all inputs. Not a short, not speaker related as far as I can see. 3/.5 cycle, sitting still, driving, nothing changes the cycle.

3. Normal operation in every way.

No way I've found to change between these three modes. Turning the car off for extended periods sometimes changes modes.

I've tried the recommended soft reset of holding VR and phone button for 30 seconds, turning off opening door for 30 seconds, restarting. Does nothing.

Suggestions short of cracking open the whole thing?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mod sassinator posted:

Sounds like some kind of heat related issue, like maybe the audio amp is overheating and going into thermal shutdown. Perhaps something shorted out and is making a lot of heat nearby the amp components.

Ultimately I think you're going to have to start shopping around for a replacement radio.

Heat would make more sense if 1/3 of the time it wasn't perfect for long trips.

But yeah, I think it's replacement time. Now to find a decent unit that fits.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
After hitting a deer last week:

IMG_20191022_153106 by B. B., on Flickr

Now:

IMG_20191022_154914 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, gonna have to just bite the bullet.

Recommendations for a new audio head unit to replace the 130 in my '16 Wrangler? I don't care if it has a disc player. I'd like to keep steering wheel controls, but bluetooth is really the only thing I care about. Android Auto would be nice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Not normally a fan of the color of my jeep, but it worked today.

White almost mono by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moey posted:

This would be a fun project, if I had a garage and free time.

Do it. We can live your pain vicariously.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mod sassinator posted:

I've never seen an AT (or really any kind) tire that's good in ice. Studs, chains, etc. are what you want when it's really icy. The KO's are amazing in fresh snow though.

Duratracs are above average on ice, good siping. Not going to match chains or studs, but I drive them year round at 8000+ elevation in Colorado.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dema posted:

^^^ Nice. My TJ was the same color. Should never have sold it.

I ended up bumping up to the 285/70 R17 Duratracks w/ 1.5" of extra backspacing on the stock suspension and wheels. Looks so much better than the stock MTs. Ride on pavement is also way better.

Yeah, they're a great tire because they're good at everything even if not great at any individual bit.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, developed a leak in the oil filter housing. 2016 Wrangler, I'm just under 60000 miles. Mechanic says this is not unusual in the Jeep. Anyone else with experience?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

beanieson posted:

Didn’t know you could option no A/C that late.

All the A/C vents are just there for show?

Heat.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you wanting to record the interior, or out the rear view? If the latter it seems like you'd need a dashcam that can be mounted to the rear rollbar, which would be unusual since most are meant to just stick on glass in some manner. Wiring-wise it seems like you could easily tuck the wiring from the front cam to the rear (in that scenario) underneath the padding for the rollbar. Wiring from the front camera to the fuse box is pretty trivial, especially since you actually have some interior trim to hide the wire behind.

There are lots of "backup cams" that go on the spare mount, around the brake light. Haven't seen many of the recording cams that way, but haven't really looked, either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I may need to clear the windshield of my Wrangler.

PXL_20210314_140054695 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Costco new tire install making me want to hurt myself and others. That is all.

Edit: is there any reason these Goodyear KO2s are at 45 psi for a wrangler?

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 17, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Digital_Jesus posted:

Because the tech inflated them up to set the bead and never deflated them to the proper psi?

Yeah, I thought that but the slip they give to put in the window listed the tire pressure as 45. Rolling off at 45 isn't a big deal, I get them cold at my altitude and deflate to 35, but every rotation Goodyear inflated to 45 and Costco's sticker seems to indicate they think 45 is the end state.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

giundy posted:

Some guys run these in HD trucks at 70psi. I forgot to fill mine after an adventure and ran them at 25 for a week. KO2s are just tough.

I got my clutch in, gave up and towed it to a shop to get the hydraulics working right. Kinda glad I did, it's been there 3 weeks due to bad replacement parts and getting the system bled. I guess some parts are still in short supply, and gently caress Jeep for putting plastic fittings on a hydraulic line.

Plastic oil filter housing. How much do they save with the.plastic poo poo?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, some problems cropping up. JKU, 82k, manual transmission.

Three times in five miles at the end of a 25 mile trip, car rpms drop to zero. No stall, because it's a manual. First was on a left turn at 5 mph. Second was about a mile later straightaway, 40mph. Third, uphill, 20 mph, about 2 miles later. No engine light, no error codes on the OBD.

Thought crankshaft sensor: hammer tap to sensor does not replicate the error. Camshaft sensor, same. Sitting idle for 15 minutes, doesn't replicate.

Anyone?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cat Hatter posted:

Do you mean the gauge indicates 0rpm but you're still coasting in gear so the engine is still physically spinning? Is it engine braking during these episodes or driving along normally? Does it go back to normal on it's own or do you need to turn the key off and on again? Does it have a physical key or a pushbutton?

Engine shows zero rpm and engine braking occurs. Goes back to normal, and no interruption in Android auto like would occur if engine shut down. No restart needed. Whole thing is a second in duration, the only thing you'd note if you didn't see the tach is that you get that moment of engine brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

kastein posted:

Sounds like it may be a momentary loss of electrical power to the ECU for some reason. If you have a way to view live data stream, do so and see if the data stream drops out simultaneously. If it does start looking at anything that can cut power to the ECU - harness damage, TIPM, bad battery connections, any relays and fuses that still exist, loose connectors etc.

Thanks. I'll start nosing around the electrical tomorrow.