Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titler
Feb 18, 2005
We got a JK (08 Unlimited Rubicon 6spd) last week, took it out this weekend for some tame fun. With no one to pull us out if we got stuck, we didn't do anything that was likely to get us stuck. New front bumper with winch is on the way.

This was before we adorned the brand new paint with pinstripes when the trail narrowed. :D The flares are also scratched to poo poo, and that's how we like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titler
Feb 18, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

If you like scratches, you'll love the interior plastic.:v:

Did you disengage the front swaybar?
Yeah we scratched the interior plastic up already also. Not even doing anything crazy, just from stuff like putting something on the dash to rest momentarily, then taking it off. I want to remove all the carpet and Rhino Line the inside anyway, obviously the aesthetics aren't that important.

I did, yes. Was hoping to get a good flexin' shot. Sadly someone ended up in the picture I took from the front, so that's the only one I got.

sw0cb posted:

Sup Rubicon buddy. I have an 08 two door rubi, it continues to surprise me on where it can go, but some upgrades are definetly on the way.
We haven't found anywhere that even comes close to challenging it yet. Other than the bumper, driving lights, and winch, we haven't planned anything else. What are you going to do to it?

titler
Feb 18, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

Did you disengage the front swaybar?

Since a bunch of people have asked me how hard it is to disconnect the front swaybar, I'll mention it's an electronic disconnect. It's hard to tell what you meant with the question.

titler
Feb 18, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

That was what I was getting at. Our Sierra gets a good workout from time to time and occasionally I would have liked to have that feature. Maybe when you have the time you could take some shots of how the system works?

I'll try to remember to take a video of it while we're out this weekend. It's a little picky about being on even ground to [dis]engage, but it's great to not have to get out and do anything when the weather is inhospitable.

titler
Feb 18, 2005

ZippySLC posted:

Now, reading the JK forum, I've found that people are having issues with the swaybar disco not reconnecting. I haven't tried it on mine yet (oh, yah, I bought an Unlimited Rubicon the other day) but I'm sure it's probably broken on mine as well. It's a Jeep thing... :)
I haven't had any problems. If you're on uneven ground it won't reconnect right away, and the dash light will blink at you until it manages to do so. Moving somewhere flatter always works so far.

I don't see why you WOULDN'T want an electronic disconnect. I put it back while I'm on the dirt access roads and then disconnect it again when I get to another trail or obstacle. Why get out of the vehicle constantly when it's freezing out?

PS this:

Broke a U-joint and yoke this weekend on some rocks. These rocks:

Aran posted:

To be a MAN! RAWR!
That would not apply to me.

titler fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 25, 2008

titler
Feb 18, 2005
I almost forgot: while I was waiting for the portajohn at the offroad course this weekend, some lady with 2 young children walked over to wait. They were with some Hummer dealer group, who had handed out fancy lanyard nametags and was catering in the parkinglot.

The young boy asks his mother why there are so many Jeeps, she replies she does not know. Then this gem: "I thought Jeeps couldn't go off-road like Hummers. Can they, Mommy?" She replies, "I don't know."

Now I'm not anti-Hummer or rabidly pro-Jeep or anything, but I couldn't hold my tongue. I responded to him that yes, Jeeps do work just fine offroad, just like a Hummer.

"Do they go over rocks?" he asked, incredulous.

"They sure do. In fact, they're usually a little better at it because they're smaller." (I didn't want to explain what 'shorter wheelbase' meant to a 5 year old.)

"Do they go in the ocean?"

That was when I left to go pee. I wonder if he thinks Hummers work in the ocean.

titler
Feb 18, 2005

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

I wouldn't want one because it would piss me off a lot when it broke 10 years down the road and a new one was impossible to find because everyone else's had broken as well.

Yeah because it's really hard to get parts for Jeeps. They're all super rare and no one makes aftermarket or anything. You could just remove it and do it the old-fashioned way, or buy an aftermarket electronic disconnect to replace it. I wonder if it's covered under the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Probably not, but you might get them to do it anyway.

titler
Feb 18, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Duct tape.

Only in a Jeep. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titler
Feb 18, 2005
Crawled my JK over some cars on Saturday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KIc4SLNNrI

4" Teraflex longarm kit, 5.13 gearing, 37" MTZs. (Bumpers are on order, waiting for 4mo now).

Bonus pics not including crushing cars...I don't have many super awesome action shots, because I'm the one who likes to take pictures, and I'm also usually the one driving when those things are happening.

flexing at Hollister SVRA

at the top of Signal Peak near Fordyce, CA