Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005

K posted:

Hey Jeep'ers, how do soft tops fair during rough winters? I'll be moving to Chicago this summer. Should I consider an additional, after-market hard top?

My jeep has two knife slashes, one in the passenger window and one by the trunk, I live in BC so the worst it gets here is around -10, but with some duct tape and a heating funnel I ripped out of a scrapped 95 YJ, it gets so hot I have to go around in a t-shirt in my jeep usually. Just make sure your heating system works and you'll be fine. Also if you get any drafts: duct tape.

I'm currently driving a 4 cylinder '90 YJ and I'm wondering is the change to a 6 cylinder really a huge upgrade? Driving on the freeway with it seems so insanely slow and I cringe everytime I have to do it.

Valgarv fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Yes!

I've driven a 4 banger wrangler and it was the most anemic thing. I suppose if you roll around on the stock pizza cutters it'd be somewhat okay, but with any decent sized tire it's a piece of crap.

For a quick comparison, the 4cyl puts out about 100hp while the I6 puts out about anywhere from ~177hp to about ~200hp depending on the year. Also, the I6 has it's bulletproof reputation too.

Yeah, my jeep has 31 or 33 tires, I can't remember. It's really depressing when I'm not just using it around town. I had no idea it was nearly double the horse power. I guess the next question is am I better off selling it and buying a 6cyl or just putting one in myself? Or maybe I could find some poor sucker to trade me.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding engine swaps? I've found a smallblock chevy v8 and a rebuilt sm 465 manual tranny. The engine has all the wiring, the computer, alternator. Jeep currently has a 4Cylinder 2.5L AMC, and an AX5 tranny. Am I missing anything or any advice before I buy it and start taking things apart?

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
As far as I know the axles are stock. I have a np231 transfer case which from what I've read should be able to take the sm 465.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005

This is my rear axle, which looks like Dana 35, the front axle looks the same. So it looks like I need some new axles, any suggestions? I remember reading somewhere that Dana 44's were the way to go, this true?

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
Right now I have 33's on it, I'd like the option down the line to put bigger tires on, maybe after these wear out. How light do I need to be on the gas so I don't rip these things apart? if they do collapse what kind of damage will it cause?

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
I'm thinking of buying a 90 YJ with an inline 6 that has a carb on it, I've never owned a car with a carb and I'm wondering if there's anything I should look out for or to be wary of when owning one.

And if they do suck, how annoying would it be to change it to fuel injection?

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
I bought a 92 YJ with an inline six, it drives like sex. I went and got the fluids topped up because the po had no idea when it was last done. One of the guys said that my valve cover was leaking oil. I went out and bought a Haynes manual and inside it says I can replace the cracks in the pre-cured gasket with RTV sealant after I take off the valve cover. My question is, is this a smart idea? Or should I get a new valve cover? Or new gasket? Or is that a judgement call once I get the cover off and take a look at how badly cracked the gasket is? Will grab some pics later tonight.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
So I was trying to wire in a new stereo into my YJ last night, when I realized that in the original wiring harness, it claims that there is an acc/ignition wire, but in reality there isn't and now I'm wondering what the gently caress?

There was no #5 wire connected to the original wiring harness and I'm pretty sure this is why my stereo won't start up. Although the old stereo worked fine when I turned the key to ON and when driving around, so I'm pretty clueless right now. Tempted to go buy one of those pre-done wiring harnesses. Wtf do I do now?

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Either run an ignition-switched live from elsewhere, or splice the switched and permanent together so it's always on.

Don't suppose you would have any on hand idea where the easiest ignition live wire would be? I can easily see myself forgetting to turn my stereo off.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

Unless Jeep decided to mix it up with the Wranglers, the lighter feed should be switched.

Real easy to check if you've got a car adapter of any kind.

Awesome thanks a ton dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
Just wanted to post an update incase anyone decides to wire a stereo into a YJ, there's a power anntenna wire, and the (atleast my) yj didn't have a power antenna, so I used that for the ignition/accessory wire.

But really, just buy the wiring harness for 10 bucks. saves alot of hassle.