Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Click for big.

Sandusky Ohio here. Got slammed for two days by that big storm, over a foot of snow with drifts 2 or 3 times as high as that. The Jeep was the only thing out of our whole complex that wasnt stuck and was able to deal with the bitch that is mother nature. She never got stuck once and as a reward shes getting a 4 - 6 inch lift with some long arms, and some bigger meats this summer. Cant wait :killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

miklm posted:

That looks miserable. How do you people live like that?!? I'd sell a kidney to move somewhere warm if I lived somewhere that happened...

Its really not too bad, we get one or two big storms a year, this was the big one this year. Its actually a ton of fun, especially in the Jeep. Cant wait till next winter after I get her jacked up a bit, ill be climbin the snow mounds that the plows leave behind :rock:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

ZippySLC posted:

How's your blend doors and blower motor resistor pack?

Still running strong as of right now, although ill probably jinx it by posting this. Im not too worried about when they do go they are both pretty easy fixes.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Blackmage Yapo posted:

So thoughts on my selections? Good and/or bad companies to buy from? Think there is a better product for my application? Think I'm dumb for even attempting this on my budget?

Your not dumb for doing this on your budget. I finally get to start order parts for my GC next week and am super psyched. The procomp kit comes with shocks so you would be good there but there are other options for shocks if you dont want to buy that kit. Check out the MX-6 Adjustable shock if you want a little bit more adjustability. Other sway bar disconnects you could consider would be JKS Quicker Disconnects. Im actually ordering the MX-6 shocks and JKS disconnects next week so I may be a little biased.

The two main places ill be ordering from will probably be http://www.kevinsoffroad.com and http://www.ironrockoffroad.com Kevins is mostly for the Grand Cherokee crown but Iron rock has parts for different jeeps including yours. Check them out

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Tire question!

I have come into posession of a set of BFG AT tires, size is 245/75r16. Ive been planning on lifting but finances have been tight the past few months, I got the tires for extremely cheap and my current tires are dangerously bald. The question I have is has anyone seen someone run these particular tires at this size on a stock WJ? I know there would be a slight amount of rubbing especially at full lock but I have come across a few people running that tire size. But as they say not all tire sizes are equal. If I really have to I will buy a BB kit but id rather not waste the money when I know its just going to get pulled off in the next month or two. Vehicle in question is a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition. Im fairly certain it dosnt have the UC suspension

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 2, 2008

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Elephanthead posted:

So my 2004 WJ grand cherokee makes a sound like something is dragging on the ground when I go over bumps, it is really loud, the oil change monkeys at firestone told me it was the shocks and or sway bar mounts. They are jeep guys whatever that means, so they seemed like they knew what they were talking about, and said this was a common issue. What do I need to do to fix this. Remember I am a jeep moron when answering. Thanks. I am planning new shocks and end links, but the post before me mentions some conversion kit for the shocks?

The conversion for the shocks only applies to your lower front shock mounts. Here is a set of bar pin eleminators, if you read the description it will explain what they do a little bit. http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/jksbpes.html

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

jonathan posted:

XJ headlight wiring harness upgrades, what can I be told about them ? Looking to buy a kit, but have also read about some weird issues if I have the factory foglights option.
?Basically my headlights are dim as poo poo even though im seeing 14+ volts from the alternator.

If you feel like getting your hands dirty heres a decent write up on how to make one yourself, dosnt seem to hard.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

WIth that you can run some decent lights without melting your harness. I dont know of any off the shelf kits tho

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 29, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

DILLIGAF posted:

Oh, and I got my new stickers in the mail yesterday... :zombie:

Just so you know, I am so ordering this from Kitsch and slapping it on my jeep. :D

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Ok time to post pics.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE

2"BB 245/75/16 BFG AT/KO tread pattern re-treads

Images fixed and resized

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 7, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Anything else I can use besides Waffleimages and photobucket?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
^^^^ everything should be fixed up there ^^^^

For anyone who has a WJ and is interested. TeraFlex 4" lift springs are on closeout from $114.99 to $35.00

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/spring-4-frt-wj.html
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/spring-4-rr-wj.html

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 7, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

w1ntermute posted:

BEEP BEEP I have a jeep today. Welcome to the winter beater project.

Yes I went for an 80s Cherokee, but it has an automatic and under 200k miles.

Winter beater project eh? What do you have planned?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Grater posted:

We should form a club. I was just thinking that I need to start decorating my Jeep. I love this sticker!

Its a fun sticker and her customer service is fantastic! I had an issue with one of the letters and she promptly sent out what I needed to fix it. Really top notch.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I've been looking for new tires for a while now. I'm almost to the wear bars on my goodyear MTRs. They no longer make those and have switched to the new super gently caress you off road kevlar-a-mighty mtr system 5000(tm).

I've agonized over several brands and sizes, then I found this.

http://www.treadwright.com/

I was skeptical at first, and googled the company and found several good reviews. Most of the forum posts had people buying/liking them and people saying retreads were filled with explosives designed to murder your family while they slept. I agonized some more. Finally finding this review:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=504

That sealed it for me. I've ordered four 245 75 16 MTGs from treadwright for $416 shipped. I figure it will cost around 30 bucks to get them mounted locally.
To re-enforce your purchase I've been running the 245/75/r16 ATBs on my GC since December and I will go back to that company next time I buy tires. Seriously amazing service, and an all around good product. Just remember the tires you got are load range E so there going to be heavy as gently caress and have very stiff sidewalls.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Then you should be good :)

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

what brand sidewalls did you get?

Bridgestone

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

I apologize, I suppose the bro's got to me as I was trying to find useful information about lifting a WJ.

Here ya go BRAH

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452634

Everything you need to know about lifting a WJ.

and because I like to whore mine out

2"BB 245/75/r16

Needs more lift and bigger tires

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 31, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

KickStand, thanks for the link, thats awesome.

Feel free to whore your Jeep out as much as possible, I like seeing what everyone does to theres.

I have been curious as to why people seem to enjoy piecing together there lifts from various companies like IRO, JKS, Claytons, etc.

IRO has a 4" kit that includes what seems to me, all of the parts required including the ones found in the spreadsheet that KickStand linked to. I wonder if theres something I just dont know about those all in one packages :iiam:

People like to go to different companies because they can piece it together slowly when things go on sale.
Example being teraflex springs for WJs being on closeout right now http://www.teraflex.biz/products/spring-4-frt-wj.html $35 per spring. Sure why not

With the 4" lift your really pushing the suspension out of wack to the point where you need some new control arms.

I would say anything after 3" go with long arms and all the supporting modifications and just be done with it. Then you dont have to worry about dropping money on lift after lift.

I would have just upgraded once directly to long arms if i hadn't gotten laid off.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

No vibrations. I've run it from BFE to "town" and back at 70+, just like regular tires. The tone is the only weird thing. It's not the regular MT hum/roar. Then again if I air them down to around 35 or 40 that will change or should I leave them at 50?

I run 40 in mine and everything is hunky dory. but if your running ok at 50 I'd say just leave it. Or air down to 45

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just put new rear pads and calipers on the WJ today. I'm lucky that I'm not dead with as far down as everything was wore. I would have addressed this a lot sooner but this layoff is a bitch.

:bang:

I hope to hell nothing else comes up any time soon.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Jeep started losing coolant yesterday. Pulled it into my parents garage and inspected everything and the return line from the radiator cap to the overflow tank came lose and was rubbing on a pulley. Put a hole right in it. Easy $8.00 fix.

Still leaking coolant, running down the front of the engine. I think my water pump went bad. What an awesome coincidence. :(

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Wamsutta posted:

It seems like the combination of a new drivebelt, thermostat, and radiator cap have helped with my Jeep's cooling issues. I've been running my ScanGauge all week and it hasn't gone past 230* or so (which is still hot, but it hasn't overheated once). Temepratures have also been lower which may be the only reason I haven't had a problem. In any case, I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, so if I can run the Jeep as it is until next summer, so be it.

Thats a little warm but I wouldn't fret any. my 04 with the 4.0 has always ran at about 210 after heating up. If you keep running hot just try and flush the entire system using a kit. I am surprise that no one has mentioned your radiator. If you run it through mud or off-road make sure your radiator is clear of debris.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
As far as a harness I am fairly certain this is the one you want if you dont want to DIY: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=584
If you do a search for IPF/ARB Moo-2 Wiring harness youll come across people using them in their XJs

as for your running lights I have no clue.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

Is that a fair way of thinking about it? Does anyone have any insight on what would be the better option considering my few requirements above?

To be completely honest I really haven't seen very much in terms of upgrades for the WK so if you are planning on building up a jeep to wheel and you were picking between the two I would go with a WJ. Sure it has some problems, but I agree it looks a bit nicer then the WK and is completely capable off-road. Especially with a lift and some bigger tires.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Goob posted:

That WJ doesn't appear to be 4WD. I don't see a shifter and the listing mentions it's just RWD, which makes 17k a ridiculous price.

This man is correct in every way. Do not even bother looking at this thing.

And to avoid a double post. I need to replace the dash lights in my WJ. One of the backlights went out and I figured I might as well just change them all out in one go. The bulb number i need is a #103 (part number L00PC121) and I was debating on swapping them out for LEDs instead, however I cannot find a replacement for that bulb number. Does anyone have any websites they could suggest for buying led replacements for my dash? The only place I know of is https://www.superlumination.com

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 27, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

fordham posted:

Where can I get this mystical 08 TD Cherokee??? Do you mean Grand Cherokee? I never heard of an Overland Cherokee either.

In 2008 an export model WK Grand Cherokee had a 3.0l common rail V6. It was available in the Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland models. But they weren't turbocharged as far as I know.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

jonathan posted:

Yup, just doublechecked with him

'08 Grand Cherokee overland CRD
TDC power chip, MSD dashhawk
3.5" lift, 32" goodyear wrangler silent armors

I stand corrected. Thats a nice Jeep

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

Seeing as I may go pick this up this weekend, I figure it was worth annoying you guys one more time for.

http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/used-inventory/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee/f710ccdf0a0a0064003fa87a07fa1651.htm?useHistory=true

CarFax shows clean, price seems to be right. Any objections, concerns, questions worth asking before I drive 2 hours each way, this weekend?

Very clean WJ. Definitely go for it.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I *LOVE* magic!

I've read to not hook up amps/winches to the side terminals. What CAN you hook to them?

Jumper cables

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

Two times a retard.

The other WJ I found is a 6 cylinder...

In other news, CarMax seems to have a few in the 15k range with 50k miles or so, but I know they have a no haggle policy.

There is nothing wrong with the I6. It may not have as much power as the v8 but its super reliable.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Doctor Zero posted:

The I6 is a rock-solid engine. It will last you forever. Unless you absolutely have to get down to the mall 30 seconds faster or are towing a house, there's no reason to discount it.

Even then there is only a 1500 lb difference in towing capacity. Still plenty of grunt to help recover another vehicle or tow a small trailer.

4.0L Power Tech I-6 4-speed automatic 5,000 lb
4.7L Power Tech V8 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb
4.7L Power Tech V8-HO 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Garaphin posted:

I think it's a combination of both things you mentioned. I just had to replace a headlight in my 2000 WJ and went with Silverstars for both. Definitely a nice, brighter white but still not as nice as other vehicles I've driven. I think next step will be some new housings--I've read on wjjeeps.com that the projectors you can find on eBay can be decent and are basically plug-and-play.

What this guy said. I need to change my bulbs as well but I keep putting it off. Silverstar headlights are good replacements, http://hirheadlights.com/ are also very highly recommended on jeepsunlimited.com although they are a bit expensive. The projector housings that you can find on ebay actually produce very good even light with a nice cut off, but for the love of god if you buy them please don't connect the "halo" rings and change out the turn leds for amber leds and not the clear. It makes them look less "ricey".

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

sw0cb posted:

Might wanna spend some more time looking at your new JK then. In the center console, or on the radio itself will be an aux input to plug your ipod into. No fancy poo poo required, except maybe an ipod charger.

Might want to read his original post..

As far as I know there isn't an adapter to do it. You would probably have to go to an after market head unit if you wanted Ipod control.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Lately I have been thinking about selling my WJ and getting a wrangler of some sort.

It is very difficult not to give in to the temptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well if anyone is looking to buy a WJ...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3313509