Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
*Nerobro wonders: is there a thread about the thing I just did..* YUP.

So about a month ago, I bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Mechanically and structurly sound, electrically mostly sound, and entirely a mess otherwise.

It's legal. It's safe. It has functional A/C. It has a working stereo. The 4wd system works right. But boy, there's a lot to do to it. I'll get photos to share later.

.. I just wish it were snowing so I could really screw around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

I'm gonna have to wait on the A/C repair until my budget is in a better spot later this summer. Feels bad, but I've survived a few summers with no A/C already. Just gotta roll the windows down or drive at night. At this point I am pretty convinced it's the evap core. While I did see that little ring of dye around the bolt before, it hasn't showed up again.

I have a few things to do behind the dash so I'll just pull that and make a bigger project out of it when I have more free time.

Welcome! Hopefully it's not TOO rusted! :v:

I paid $800 to get my AC repaired. If I had done it myself, it would have still been $500. .... I am entirely ok with that exchange.

OH boy, rust. The rear part of both rockers have significant holes. But ~still exist~. Which seems to put mine better than at least half the crowd out there. There's half a dozen serious videos about repairing windshield frame rust, so even that's not "weird" At least it's not leaking. Photos tomorrow, I need to get them up on imgur or something.

kastein posted:

I feel like I know you from somewhere.

At least you got the best year of XJ. What rear axle does it have?

There's a good chance you do. Paintball? Bicycling? Motorcycles? Hackerspaces? Or here on SA?

Well.. I don't know what axle. Got a place I can go look to get clues to what I've got? Should it matter to me?

------------------

So what I know needs to be done: Engine and transmission mounts are shot. The arm rest bracket broke. All the bushings are 23 years old. And the aforementioned rust. It needs a clockspring. And some electrical gremlins chased down. (only the front seat window controls work)

Nothing huge.

So far, I have the engine and transmission mount. The replacement arm rest bracket. A new tailgate to deal with the crunchy/nasty existing tailgate. A non cracked driver side rear view mirror. Wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor. I'll do some of that tomorrow. Most of what I've done is cleaning it, and just.. using it to see what's really the matter with it.

... I'm going to be about $3500-4000 into it when I'm done. I feel pretty good about that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

kastein posted:

Before you spend a dime on it, check the rear frame rails for rust right where the bumpstops mount over the rear axle. Also around the front LCA mounts on the frame rail and in the midsection where the transmission crossmember bolts on. If a screwdriver will go through any of those places you need to either weld frame stiffeners on (which I would argue isn't worth the time or money if it's that rotten) or resign yourself to the fact that its days are very numbered. I'm not trying to say your Jeep is poo poo here, just that I tried to drag one out of the grave with heroic measures with the welder and it absolutely wasn't worth what I put into it because it was dead and in the junkyard a year later.

I bought it knowing it was a pile of poo, you won't be able to make me cry over it. I've already resigned myself to knowing this is gonna be a 5 year or less vehicle. I'll check those points tonight. And find what rear end I have!

quote:

I'm guessing hackerspaces? Especially if it's one in Chicago and my last name seems familiar.
Been a member at PS:1 since.. uh... 2013? Still paying dues, but not actually been there in a year or two. Dan and I built the big square boats a few years back.

quote:

Clockspring part number depends on whether you have cruise control or not so check that before buying.
And the difference between a $50 part, and a $150 part. *shakes fist*

quote:

Window control issue is probably just that the solder joints for the Dutch Oven Button in the driver window control unit have cracked, assuming that you meant only driver window controls not only front window controls, which is the most common failure mode. You can reflow them and put it right back in if that's the case. If it's actually the front left and front right that work, I'm not sure what would cause that, I've never seen it.
I will check that out. I need to get inside the door anyway to fix the door lock linkage anyway....

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

The D35C is a known weak point if you're gonna get any wheelspin going or run much bigger tires.

I looked last night, and now i'm looking at this chart, and i'm doubting myself. I should have taken a photo. I'm pretty sure it's the Ford 8.8.

I don't plan on running bigger tires. Narrower and smaller if anything. I'm looking at 12hole injectors for the fuel economy benefits. If I do that before I drive it across the country, it might pay for itself in the first drive! Hah.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

kastein posted:

Ford 8.8 was never factory, so either it was swapped or it's not that.

Don't bother with the 12 hole injectors. Most of them are counterfeit poo poo with a staggering failure rate (but the defenders note the seller will give you more counterfeit crap if the first ones were junk), and most of them also have the wrong hole pattern designed for 2 intake valve heads and will spray fuel directly at the intake port walls. It also does jack poo poo for fuel economy despite what all the yokels on every Jeep group will tell you, I've gotten 23mpg highway out of a 250k mile 4.0 fully loaded before with factory 1 hole injectors.

Dana 35c. Because. whoops. I need to figure out the clunking noise I hear. EDIT: Now i'm not so sure. hahah. Edit again: It's also leaking, just a little, so this matters now.

Ok, did work on the truck today. Finally fixed the rear hatch latch. The rear hatch works properly now. Also replaced the center console support. The stock one came out in five pieces.

In general, my fuel economy has beaten the EPA rating.

Edit.. again again. The window switches are $19, new on the jungle site. That's better than my time to reflow them. *ordered*

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Lots of fun things happening to my XJ over the past few months:
My rustbucket XJ is doing.. pretty good too. Not that it gets driven much. so far it's just been a loaner car? It's saved several peoples derrieres.