Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
My family has quite literally owned dozens of Jeeps over the years, my dad alone owning multiple generations of CJs (one of which John Wayne himself owned and used in the movie Hatari as a backup Jeep) as well as a Comanche which he is not shy about admitting is the best vehicle he has ever owned, above all the Porsches, Mopar muscle and Jaguars he owned in his younger years.

My family has relied on Jeeps to save their lives in accidents, to get home (used to live on Mt. Baldy; in winter, a Jeep was the only way up or down) and to have fun.

Jeeps are an integral part of my family and hopefully they continue to be for many generations. Of course, I'm the newest generation of my family to own a Jeep and I'm proud to carry on the tradition. :patriot:

98' Wrangler; 4.0L I6, 5-speed manual, D44 rear and all the other good stuff you could get. As I've said before, this thing can make just driving to the store seem like a huge adventure.

Edit: Finally added picture

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Here we go:

98' Wrangler checking in; 4.0L I6, 5-speed manual, D44 rear and all the other good stuff you could get. As I've said before, this thing can make just driving to the store seem like a huge adventure. That is what is so great about Jeeps.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Ziploc posted:

How does the windshield hinge work?

There are a couple torx bolts on both sides of the windshield that lock it into place. To lower the windshield, you simply take those out and disconnect the front part of the roll bar that attaches to the windshield (take the knob out and they pop right out). Then you can fold the windshield down and use the footman loops to keep it tied to the hood.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Pacific Rim Job posted:

Yeah we scratched the interior plastic up already also. Not even doing anything crazy, just from stuff like putting something on the dash to rest momentarily, then taking it off. I want to remove all the carpet and Rhino Line the inside anyway, obviously the aesthetics aren't that important.

I can't understand how Chrysler went from plastic that actually is pretty hard to scratch in the TJs to plastic you can scratch by breathing on in the JKs. Interestingly enough though, in the last one or two "ask the Jeep engineers" chats on Jeepforums, the engineers flat out said that they find the JK interior uninspiring and were strongly hinting at already working towards a redesign of the interior.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Boomerjinks posted:

Recently I have noticed several 6-cylinder engines for sale in my area for about $150 each. To me, this seems like a ridiculously bad idea, as I am used to hearing about decent engines(for any car) costing several thousand dollars. Am I wrong, is this how much reliable 15-year old engines go for?

Generally they go for more than that, but nothing compared to what you would think they would. There are a lot of 4.0L engines out there and that really helps to drive prices down; it is one of the most heavily produced engines ever in various forms.

Boomerjinks posted:

What are the pros and cons of switching out to a bigger engine? I don't plan on doing any hardcore 4-wheeling, but I would like to take the thing on some rather long road trips. Will there be a huge difference in my MPG, or would such a sacrifice be pittance for the extra speed and power?

The 4.0L gets the same mileage as the 2.5L; the only downside is the huge bitch of a task it is to swap as you'll have to also put in the heavier transmission for the 4.0L.

Going off on a tangent

What really amazes me is the extended history of the engine. We are talking about an engine that in its very original form was conceived over 70 years ago and first produced over 60 years ago. Undoubtedly, everything attached to or controlling the engine have changed drastically as time has gone by and even the heads have been overhauled time and time again (despite the overall head design remaining the same), but the bottom end is the same old general design that it has been for longer than any of us have been alive.

Now, in case people are confused, keep in mind that the 4.0L is simply the youngest child of this I6 family, a family that has belonged to Nash, AMC, Chrysler and more; a engine design that has seen many iterations (4.2L, 4.0L, ect) but was always kept around because it did what it did, better than anything that had come before or since.

It is infuriating that the 4.0L is the last of the I6 family as Daimler killed it for no other reason than internal politics. The official response when it was killed off was that it couldn't meet smog, but any half-wit could tell you another redesign on the head would do the engine wonders. For christ sakes, Chrysler in the mid 90s had a working redesign of the head that didn't do much for fuel mileage but severely reduced emissions and boosted the power of the engine.

Like the similar project for the Chrysler 2.2L (which produced a 24v head that reportedly did so well, it would still makes new 4-bangers look like absolute crap), it was killed because of cost.

God drat bean-counters!

Sorry about that, I'm just very passionate about stuff like this because it seems like every car I like had so much wasted potential because the companies that produced them didn't want to spend the money.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 20, 2008

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Want to make a correction; the Chrysler 2.2L head project was 24v not 32v (don't know where I got that from). Chrysler actually had a contest for universities to design a new head for the engine and I can't seem to find the old article on it, but one school developed a 24v head that despite not even having tuned the engine to take advantage of it or properly designed a cam (I remember them saying that they just made a new cam with the stock cam profile for testing purposes). If I remember correctly, engine produced ~260 hp, loads of torque and managed to rev much higher due to elimination of the original Chrysler head. What's more, they were really confident that if given the time and resources to properly tune and refine the design, they were capable of pushing much more power.

I know for a fact that one of the original people involved with the project actually still has the rights to the design, but he's only wiling to sell it for more than its worth to anyone now.

Getting back on track; Chrysler loved the design but turned it down for the cost or producing it; deciding that the old design was still sufficient. Unfortunately, a combination of this same bean counting mentality and internal politics* killed the 4.0L.

* Daimler had complete control of Chrysler; it's no secret that the merger was actually a takeover. I actually have a book that completely follows the whole mess and mentions that for whatever reason, there was a big movement in Daimler to try and dismantle Jeep, that never saw fruition as Jeep was at the time the only part of the company (including Mercedes) that made any profit. The 4.0L was likely slashed as a last blow before Daimler sold their majority of Chrysler.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 20, 2008

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

It looks so cool though.

Since we are on J trucks, my favorite Jeep ever:

That thing screams badass.

I would drat near give a kidney to own one of those trucks. They are ridiculously utilitarian inside, but they are quite possibly the most awesome vehicle ever to tool around in (I've only gotten to drive one once on a ranch).

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Boomerjinks posted:

Obligatory dinojeep, for the megathread:

Moving on now....

Hey Boomer, is that an HDR pic?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

"On rear-wheel or four-wheel drive cars with full-size matching spare, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (Figure G)"

Link

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

easyjo posted:

I was looking at getting a wrangler and it seems I could get a used softtop with about 30k miles for a good price. Any ideas how much a hardtop would cost.. would dealers provide them? (UK)

Both aftermarket and factory hard-tops run about $1k. For just a little bit more, you can get a multi-part hard-top for wheeling, but you'll eventually have to deal with leaks with those since they use gaskets around the section seperations.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Chairon posted:

So where does everyone go offroading? I'm in the middle of CA, and i'm constantly hearing talk of tons of Fire roads and offroad trials, but I can't seem to find any.

Is there anything special I should look for? I'd assume theres not going to be big signs saying "TURN HERE FOR OFFROAD GOODNESS" but the only time I've taken my Jeep(2006 Wrangler Sport) offroad was at a State Vehicular Recreation area, which only had a tiny tiny area for 4WD vehicles. Mostly for Dirtbikes, they get trails snaking up into the hills and everything.

Welcome to my world; I live in LA County and all the wilderness around me is essentially cordoned off. The only way I've found of finding places to wheel is to look for any dirt roads or trails on Google Maps, mark all the locations, and then drive around to those places and see if they are closed off to vehicles or not. Only about 1 in every 50 locations is actually open, but I've yet to find a better method.

To be truthful, it makes me sad, as most of the wilderness that is being cordoned off is completely unused by anyone and everyone and is all just going to waste just sitting there.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

BigKOfJustice posted:

lots o' trails

Oh, I definitely know of all of those, it's just that I like taking the roads less traveled. Believe it or not, when I was a kid driving around with my dad, it was ridiculously easy to just talk to park rangers and let them know you'd be out there and that you'd keep your eye out for anything suspicious (people shooting up stuff, ect) and just try to help them out in general. They would then have no problem letting you drive all over hell, but nowadays, it just doesn't seem that way.

As for tread lightly, I fully subscribe to it, but most people seem to assume that means that you always follow pre-determined trails and never go off the path, when that is not the case at all. Those trails that exist now, wouldn't be there if someone hadn't gone off the beaten path before. I think it all comes down to common sense; will you be crushing lots of little plants and animals or really tearing up the land? Don't go, tread lightly. Will you be doing no real damage? That still falls under tread lightly to me.

I think it's all subjective, and while I don't know who that guy is (seriously I don't, what do you mean?), I try to do as little to no damage as possible, I always try to be courteous to others, I try to help people when I can and if I need to get across someone's property, I drat sure get their permission first.

Of course, rules change a little bit when doing geology work (as that is stuff that has to get done), but when wheeling, that is for pleasure and hell if I'm going to be a jackass when having fun. That not only ruins someone else's day, but my own for feeling like a jackass.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

4cyls are slow, but not that bad.
They put out 123hp and the 4.0 puts out 180hp.
The 4.0 isn't any more bulletproof than the 2.5 seeing as how they are pretty remarkably similar in design.

I'm just going to keep mine until I kill it and put a v8 of some sort in.

The engine in my Wrangler has another 250 thousand in it easy (never had one give trouble under 300k miles), but the day it does need swapping, I'll definitely be going for a 4.6L or larger stroker, possibly supercharged. All the reliability of the 4.0L with the power of a better small-block V8.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Omg50BMG posted:

Woot, i am tradeing my Hardtop for a Soft top tomarrow :D

Unless your hard-top is all beat up and the soft top is brand new, you are getting ripped off. You can sell a half decent hard-top for $1000 or more and get a brand new OEM or Bestop soft-top with all brand new hardware for half that.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Rhyno posted:

So uh...

If, theoretically I were to come into the possession of a Patriot, would you guys kick me out of the club?

Not as long as you didn't actually spend any money on it.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Looks great, although I'd personally drop the bed cover and roof runner lights.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Hobo Camp posted:

Here's my baby (04):

I adore him. It's the only car I've ever really loved but the gas prices are killing me and lately I've been thinking of selling it to get a Prius, which I really don't wanna do, but God, the gas.

Anyway. Maybe someone can help me with an issue I've been having. Someone told me it might be the shock absorbers, but I'm not sure. When I go above 50 in the highway and drive through a pot hole or even a tiny crack on the road, my Jeep starts shaking really bad (feels like the tires are gonna come off or are loose). I have to practically stop in the middle of the highway for it to stop, and then I can start driving again. It's really aggravating and dangerous as hell.

Everyone's been telling me I'm gonna get ripped off if I take it to a mechanic cause I'm a girl. I guess I wanna know if anyone's ever had this issue so I can at least have an idea of what's wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix it. Right now money is a bit tight :(

That's the shake of death and off the top of my head I don't know the suspension component that causes it most often, but it can be caused by any number of worn suspension and/or steering items.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Maybe it does need a recharge. It's the most likely thing for A/C not being cold.

Refrigerant doesn't really go bad, though. If you need a recharge, then you have a leak. Remember to run your A/C every once in a while to keep those seals in shape, even in winter!

You can slowly lose refrigerant over time simply due to the expansion and contraction of seals; many cars will need a recharge after a decade without having an actual leak, and they'll last another decade before needing another recharge, assuming nothing fails before then.

As for temperature; I have to look it up to know the exact temperature, but Chrysler says that a properly functioning AC system should always put out ~36°F out of the vents, regardless of the outside temperature. How cool the cabin as a whole gets is what depends on the outside temperature.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Legitimate posted:

Ok, I went and r/r the hood on the 94' YJ, did a full service, swapped the tires to bigger ones, and I've been having a hell of alot of fun on the sand near my house.

Here is a question: I've noticed that the 4x4 light on the dash stays on no matter what. All of the other electrical is trouble-free. It seems to be shifting from 2H to 4H fine, but the light doesn't go off in 2H. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I haven't run into this problem before.

Edit: Maybe the vacuum switch? Vacuum lines? Disconnect gear?

There's a sensor on the transfer case that detects what gear its in; it would be worth it to look at that.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Sindow posted:

Oh man I am so jealous, that thing is sexy. :swoon:

I've driven around one or two of the new JKs and there is no way I could possibly own one without selling the engine at mile one and replacing it with a 4.0L or a built stroker. The V6 feels exactly like your driving a Grand Caravan and in my experience, I had to rev the piss out of it to get the same performance I get in the 4.0L with just a quarter throttle.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Braincloud posted:

Interesting. I feel like my Rubi has more power than my TJ had (and it had the 4.0L) A lot of people bitch about the new 3.8 being anemic but they don't realize the ECU isn't running everything at 100% for about the first 1000 miles during break in. I don't find it to be lacking in power at all and I bet I'll be even happier once I get to 1000 miles. But whatever, to each their own.

To be fair, these were brand new so that may be it, but I don't think the computer could change anything enough to make it feel like a 4.0L.

I should probably make it more clear what I mean about the V6. I don't think the V6 is actually any slower than the 4.0L and may actually be a little faster, but to get it moving, I had to give it all or nothing. At a quarter throttle, all the vehicles I've driven with the 4.0L will get up to freeway speed in no time at all. At a half throttle they'll drat near sprint and the acceleration is linear to the throttle you give it.

The V6 on the other hand, once it's moving at a good klik, it's easy to keep moving and speed up a bit, but getting started from a stop or a slow speed means burying to pedal just to keep from getting run over by traffic. That said, you floor it and it'll really get up and move. The V6 unfortunately, is also very peaky in torque, and I could feel the moment it went from no power to all power. Although I didn't get to take one off-road, I have a feeling that this would be a hinderance over the 4.0L.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Sindow posted:

Oh man that looks like so much fun.

I have to be honest, when it comes to off-roading, I find much more joy in "expeditions", going far out into the middle of nowhere, around and over rough and inhospitable terrain, than I do in traditional off-roading where you aren't going far (such as an OHV park) but your tackling some pretty serious terrain. Don't get me wrong, I love both, I just find the "expedition" type off-roading more rewarding.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I just wish I could get a few days off to be able to go out and do one of these expeditions. I find it odd that I possibly hate camping more than anything (as in, sleeping in a tent, ect), but love everything else about it. But I think that may just be a developed response to my school geology work, where they work from sunup to sundown, we drink and party all night, and then need to work from sunup to sundown the next day, ad nauseam for several days.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
For some good news, the trans tech at work fixed my trans leak and loosy goosy shifter all at once. Turns out the shifter assembly had unbolted from the trans (bolts worked loose over time) and since the shifter goes straight into the trans, this allowed all the oil to pour out around the assembly. He bolted it back down, filled the trans with fluid (which was apparently empty, although he said it didn't hurt anything) and I was good to go.

Now the leak should be gone and the transmission feels brand new, it's so tight.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Qweezy posted:

From what I've read, taking a Wrangler out stock isn't the greatest idea in the world.

The Wrangler is currently the most factory off-road capable vehicle produced, and one of the most factory capable off-road vehicles ever produced. To be perfectly honest, the capabilities of the vehicle will far exceed your own capabilities, unless you are a top-notch offroader, or you want to do something that requires specialization, such as serious rock-crawling.

I know it rubs against the grain to say it, but a lot of the modifications made by off-roaders are not necessary for the type of off-roading they do. The reason they do it is because they don't have the skills to use the vehicle to its potential and get themselves stuck in situations that would have easily been avoided by a better understand of what to do. I know many of the guys have a gun-ho style, and while there is a time and place that is needed to get through, most of the time, slow and steady is the key.

To give some insight; my father and his friend use to go rock-hunting through some of the roughest terrain out in Anza-Borrego and Death valley, in a combination of nearly stock CJX's (they had several over the years) and VW campers and bugs (the campers and bugs got wider tires; combined with a light weight, makes them great sand and muck cruisers).

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Qweezy posted:

Also, I was wondering what the general consensus here is on the 4-door Wranglers. Part of me loves the idea; it's like the Cherokee/Wrangler hybrid I've always wanted. But part of me just can't help feeling that it's almost too much of a departure. I'd be interested to hear all of your opinions.

Personally, I can't stand them, but I suppose I could see the use for them. Sadly, I think the increased length will hinder you for more serious off-roading.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Jack_Handey posted:

Guess what guys, I killed a 4.0 today. I loving hydrolocked it and threw the #1 rod straight out of the oilpan. Anyone want to buy my Jeep for parts?

You must have completely filled the cylinders with water. Wow.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

The 4.0 head will fit a 4.2 block. You MAY need to fill in some of the water jackets, in fact the 4.0 head on the 4.2 is an awesome upgrade. There is a company on ebay that sells the modified heads for around 400 bucks.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=277013

A 4.2/4.0 hybrid is actually what the 4.6l Stroker is. The reliability of the 4.0L with a lot more power. Supercharge it on top of that and you get into small-block power.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

SIDE DRAFT 4.0

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697805

Pirate makes my pants so wet.

That is about as loving awesome as it could possibly get.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Qweezy posted:

I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Wrangler X, 65k on the clock, black soft-top, manual transmission. I'll post pics in the next couple of days.

Here's my issue: Until today, I have never owned or driven a manaul transmission vehicle. I know, I know, but I have finally decided to man up and learn. Anyway, after spending the day driving in circles in an empty parking lot and on a deserted hill, I'm beginning to question my decision. After lurking AI for some time, I've pretty much figured out that the majority of posters here prefer manual to automatic transmission, so I thought I'd toss this out there and see what the response is. What are your thoughts? Aside from the transmission, this was the perfect Jeep for me, and I figured I'd eventually overcome my inexperience with the manual. Any advice/thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Jeeps are generally regarded as the hardest possible vehicle to learn to drive a standard on, up there with learning on a tractor. Once you get it, you'll be able to drive anything from then on, but it'll take a bit longer than learning on another car.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
A Wrangler is the easiest vehicle to mount a GPS in; just buy a roll-bar mount. I unfortunately can't find it, but it was posted here before; an interchangeable-head roll-bar mount that allows you to mount a GPS to the roll-bar, or a camera if you prefer.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

ManicJason posted:

I can't speak for the nicer Bestops, but the Replace-A-Top is absolutely atrocious. Original hardware plus much shittier cloth. I've gone through three in five years with zippers ripping off and getting random tears and holes.

The Sail-Cloths are always very nice.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
The other day, my valves, rockers or something in the valvetrain started clacking loudly under moderate load (it goes away under heavy and under very light loads) and its been doing it ever since. The oil is fine and it sounds most like a sticking valve to me, which would make sense as every single 4.0L my family has owned has had sticking valves to some degree or another (it never hurts anything, just loud).

It's starting to piss me off though, so what would be the best way to go about trying to get rid of it besides Marvel Mystery (which actually does work for a lot of things, because its essentially ATF with additional additives)?

On an additional note; sometimes when sitting at a light, with either the clutch in or the vehicle in neutral, the engine will start to get rough and buckjump a bit. It doesn't really clack while doing this, but this is usually also characteristic of a sticking valve.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

incredibull posted:

For cheaper solutions, you could try stepping up to a heavier oil weight, or try a higher quality oil if you aren't using a pure synthetic oil already.

I know firsthand how the 4.0L will never die*, my father's Comanche has 300k on it now and the engine still doesn't have any problems. I also know valve-train noise to some degree or another is a guarantee (I haven't seen a 4.0L yet that didn't clack at least a little), but this is particularly loud. Thinking more on it, I think it may be due to carbon buildup in the valve-guides. Does anyone know if seafoam will get that or will I need some other means to get it out, should that be the case?

*An old trick with the old L-Head 4 Jeeps when you had to seat new valves but didn't have the means to; you could pour baking soda into the intake and it would actually cut a rough seating into the valves. Not perfect but it worked. Don't ask me how I know that this still works on the 4.0L (no, it doesn't have to do with my current situation).

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Gavitron posted:

As promised above, here's the first pic of my new JK:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I still can't get over how weird the 4-door model looks compared to the much more traditional looking 2-door. That said, I'd buy either in a heartbeat if only they brought back the I6 and dropped that hideous slanted grill (vertical now and always).

What options did you get by the way?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes it is. I have two welding helmets and I decided to pimp the better one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2856460&pagenumber=10#lastpost

Now you just need to stick a "Always 5x5" sticker over the 4x4 on the Jeep.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
If you're willing to spend the money, a Garmin Colorado is an awesome unit. It's a little small for an in-car unit as it's mainly designed as a hand-held mapping GPS, but loaded with both the topo and street maps, it kicks some serious rear end. It also does full 3d mapping, and has the best interface and controls that I've ever seen on a GPS unit so far.

Well worth the $600.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
For anyone having the gauges acting funny or going dead issue, I used to have that as well. After reading up quite a bit about it on several Jeep forums, I found it is almost always a case of a connection issue. The clusters for whatever reason, don't use a normal electrical connector. Instead the pins are pressed into a plastic connector (like a normal electrical connector), but the connector itself is open and mounted to the metal frame of the dash. The gauge cluster when installed is pressed down over these connectors and the gauge is now connected.

The way I managed to fix it (and is the common fix), is to remove the cluster and thoroughly clean the connections and pins on both the cluster and on the connectors, with swabs and alcohol. Reinstall the cluster and it should work fine from then on.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Here's one for you guys and it has me stumped; my 4.0L TJ burns on average (it varies) about a quart of oil per 1500 miles, but I just spent about 4 days in Big Bear and in total drove the vehicle ~60 miles in sub 10°F weather and chains. In that time it lost 4 quarts of oil and I only realized it because I noticed the oil pressure would drop from ~55 psi to ~45 psi when going around turns; I never smelled burning oil or saw blue smoke (although so much steam comes out when its that cold that it could have been masked) and it certainly didn't leak that much. Now that I'm back home, the oil consumption rate has gone back to normal.

What the gently caress could have happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

fordham posted:

Are you sure you aren't leaking it?

Spot where it spent its time parked was clean as could be and having lost large amounts of oil while going down the highway in the past (another vehicle), I can tell you that it makes one hell of a mess. Beyond the usual coating of grease and all the lovely mud and slush I picked up while in the snow, no real excess amount of oil.