Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
That'll see like hotcakes off a dealer lot with dealer financing.

I wonder if that's part of the Mopar/4 Wheel Parts deal they got going to get after market kits installed by 4WP as a dealer option with 4WP kicking money back to the dealer to cover warranty costs.

Friend of mine got a really tricked out Jeep JK 4 door with a big lift and 37's and it's covered under factory warranty,but, he paid an assload for it, like 60K+

The math works out that its still much cheaper to buy the parts and do it yourself but they are baking in a profit margin on 2 levels [dealer + 4WP] plus warranty coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Saintfuzzled posted:

That kit is only 6K to buy and ship, it really doesn't take another 5K to install.

Credit's a funny thing, you get guys who want a new tricked out jeep, but don't have the cash on hand or the space to do it themselves but they'll go into the hole a ton of money at a huge markup and interest rate to get one done up from the dealer.

There's a few tricked out AEV equipped JK's at work, completely kitted out with front and rear lockers, 35's and 37's, beadlock wheels, the works, but trying to get them to take those rigs off road is like pulling teeth...

:sigh:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

commissargribb posted:

Seconding the sentiment not to lock. I usually just don't leave anything worth money inside. My stereo is a 50 dollar affair.

I still lock, those jerks never check the doors half the time and smash a window or unzip/cut a window even when they are unlcoked :mad:

I never found having a soft top vs a hard top makes that big of a difference security wise.

I had a guy break into my old Cherokee sport to steal a empty pack of cigarettes from the console that my dad left in it one time. That's pretty sad.

With soft tops I don't leave anything valuable in the truck, I put my tools in surplus tool bags and carry them in and out. After getting sick of doing that, i keep a cheapo box box store generic tool kit in the truck. So basically if someone breaks in they'll get a few maps, 3 road flares, a reflector set, a fire extinguisher. If they dig really deep they may find a hidden iridium phone and the hiding spot for my stereo faceplate.

That being said, I was in Anaheim with the H1 one time parked waiting for a few friends to fill up a cooler for a camping trip. I was sitting in the Hummer with it turned off with the lights off just waiting.

2 sketchy types rolled up in a beat up old toyota van, got out and started poking around my brush guard and looking at how my Lightforce striker 240's were mounted [via a 18mm bolt] and looking around the lot to see if anyone was nearby.

Then they finally looked in the truck and realized I was sitting there in the dark :v:

They got back in the van pretty quick and took off. No harm, but I see crap like this at big desert racing events... bunch of dudes roll up to un-attended rigs and trailers and grab radios, tools and off road lights.

Pismo beach on a busy weekend is bad for things to go walking off.

I wound up tack welding the lights into place. Makes it a pain in the rear end for me, I got to grind them off but it's better then buying a new set of lights.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

dangerz posted:

Fort Worth

So I'm going on my first offroad trip tomorrow. No idea what to expect but I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Here's where we're going: http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/index.aspx?nid=322

Should be fun.

Mind the ATV's/Bikes, etc on Memorial Day weekend... OHV parks tend to get packed and crazy, you'll have kids on bikes not paying attention, folks going the wrong way down one way paths, etc.

I say this because I'm going out to a OHV [Hungry Valley SVRA in Gorman, CA] park this weekend with a few friends, and we're planning to wheel away from the crowds.

Generally speaking most of the madness happens near the campsites, since most folks don't leave eyesight of the campgrounds. That depends if its a big park or not.

If you are with an experienced group you'll be fine.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

You have to pay to play.

No kidding, unless you have a Diesel Liberty, welcome to the world of AWD/4x4 trucks and suv's where high teens is good mileage.

If/when I get back into jeeps again, I'm doing a cummins 4BT conversion or 3200 optimizer diesel from AM general.

That'll get me into the high 20's for sure... plus a ton of torque :clint:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

Why aren't we getting a J8 in America? I really want a modern Scrambler.

I'm guessing 2 reasons:

1. Dodge dealerships don't want to share their pickup sales "within the family".
2. Low unit sales for a diesel J8 model, they would need to certify the platform for emissions/testing/safety most likely and it would push the per unit cost way up vs a normal JK, which.. leads to low unit sales.

If they drop the diesel then you are stuck with problem #1.

If you want to ship entire wheel assemblies with tires, just get a roll of heavy duty plastic wrap, and ship each wheel/tire as a single UPS ground package. There's a weight limit of around 125-150 lbs per package.

I shipped tires and wheels before this way no problem. Cost was around 50-70$ per package last time I did it [37" tires on alloy wheels]

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 31, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I'd probably take some of the trim interior bits off and just wipe things down with a damp cloth when it comes to electrical. I've gotten some nasty stuff on the interior, and it can be a pain to remove [hvac ductwork/vents can be the worse].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Cross posting in here since it'll probably see more eyes.

I got offered to pick up a Jeep JK 2009 X 2 door base truck for pretty cheap. It's currently non-operational [getting the clutch replaced] and my uncle is having problems selling it in Labrador since it's not a desirable configuration for here... 2 door, soft top, some minor rust bubbling along one rear quarter panel around the passenger taillight and around the passenger mirror mount [with a small crack, so I assume something whacked off the mirror on the passenger side in the past, no big eal]. The economy around here took a dump because of the CAD dollar and oil taking a poo poo and everyone is selling their toys. Everyone up in the north wants big diesel pickups.

I crawled underneath it, there's minor surface rust since it's a Canadian truck, but all the bushings are all there, all the splash shields and hangers, no rot, all the suspension mounts/spring mounts, brackets, etc are rock solid. Emissions system is all shiny and new and intact.

It's in a shop to get a new clutch installed [75,000 miles], I'd be buying the truck for cheap, and completing repairs and re-registering it and getting it shipped to the west coast. The plan is to import it back to the US in a few months and I can fix all the cosmetic stuff at my leisure in California or Nevada, wherever I end up.

Anything really to check with the 3.8? It'll past the/MOT inspection certification, all the emissions stuff is there an the truck was serviced regularly. Drivers seat is a mess, but everything else is in good shape, no rot or anything around the door jambs or rockers or under the carpet.. just a few small bubbles over on the passenger door around the mirror and the rear right quarter panel around the tail light.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 1, 2016