Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Well, add me to the list. Picked up a 18 GC Trailhawk diesel with safety package today. Didn't take any good pics before it got dark.

I haven't bought a new car since 2002 and a used one, my wife's 12 Volvo C70, in 2015. This space tech of adaptive cruise control and parking assist is crazy voodoo magic. I, of course, factored in a Mopar maxcare warranty into the budget as I assume I'll get the "FCA experience" at some point.

E:. I lurked in this thread for a looooonng time (fantasies of buying a Wrangler when I retire) prior to a red light runner crushing my 03 explorer this past June and forcing me to look for a new SUV. Thanks for the wisdom.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Oh, I've always wanted a Wrangler as my fun vehicle. But I'm also a cheap bastard who obsessively saves for retirement so I don't have to work in my late 60's like my parents unless I want to. They collect cars and guns instead of IRA acounts. Things I'll need to sell to pay for their eventual care I assume.

I drove a 18 Rubicon at the Orange county Auto show in October when I was looking for a new road trip & family/dog car after ours got demolished. Wife and I agreed that Wrangler wouldn't fit the bill.

I drove the GC at the show too with the intention of eliminating it from my list of SUVs under consideration.

But we did like the Wrangler. A lot. My daughter may be getting a wrangler when she gets her license. Manual transmission of course....

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Oh gotcha. Less ride comfort and cargo space and my 6' 2" knees rested uncomfortably jammed into the gear shift in the wrangler. I think I must manspread a lot when I drive. The position and design of high center consoles and transmission selectors and legroom matter a lot to my comfort.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 11, 2018

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I'm happy so far with the ecodiesel, but I haven't towed anything. (I'm also loathe to drive it anywhere to get it dirty and banged up. I know it's going to happen; I'm trying to just delay it.)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Just passed the 5k mark in my 2018 GC. Already have a driver mirror intermittent Auto dim problem and my center console driver side plastic trim is out of place. It catches on the seat when it's moved way up.

Looks like that 2k I spent on the extended warranty will probably be put to use.

But I love this truck. I'm in charge of ordering fleet cars for my work and ordered a black 19 Cherokee trailhawk to match my GC. Looks like it comes with a turbo 4.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Well, Jeep closed out Cherokee trailhawk ordering to the federal government last week before I could place an order. Apparently I can place a Wrangler Rubicon order though. I'm sure that my mid 40s year old body would welcome a 80 minute long commute in traffic every day in that...

Guess I'm waiting until next fiscal year.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Why? Your tax dollars pay for the gas and maintenance...

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

Why do you think a Rubicon would be uncomfortable? Coil springs aren't leaf springs.

I drove one at the auto show last year. Didn't seem like I'd enjoy spending almost 3 hours a day every day in it which is why I bought a GC.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry to create so much hate over my thoughts on my government car choice. I can't order a small hybrid because I need a vehicle that has a bit of room and other options I need for my job nor does my agency allow them. I am also limited to full size sedans, compact/midsize SUVs and minivans by mostly traditional American manufacturers (Ford, gm, fca) I could request a pickup if I wanted to.

I don't think a Wrangler would be a good car for me to use over the next four years. My GC is my personal, mostly weekend car.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ok, that makes sense. Sorry, those are the only packages available. Base model mid size SUVs or thawk Cherokee or Rubicon. We can't modify the trim levels within classes.

All about context I guess.

E:. My bad if I came across as wasteful as I meant it tongue in cheek. My intention was to state I wanted a comfortable SUV I could drive and didn't think a Rubicon would fit the bill. The missing piece of my model/class limitations was an oversight.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 21, 2019

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I have a 18 diesel GC. I've only had to fill the DEF once at the oil change around 7k miles. I'm about to rollover to 10k miles, but I'm very happy with the 30 mpg highway miles. It's the 16s and earlier that were part of the settlement.

E: and I've only seen the "keep driving, I'm regenerating" message once.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So how does the 3.8 V6 compare to the 3.6 Pentastar reliability wise?

I know the 3.6 has the casting sand issues so I'm assuming the 3.8 is better in that regard.

Come to the dark side and get a diesel

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

FCA is offering me $1k to take my 18 GC, put 100 miles on it on the dyno and give me an unlimited miles rental while they have it for 2-6 weeks. And they'll do any pending recalls too (I have an EGR reprogram appointment on Wednesday).

Any downside to this? Anyone else get these offers?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, they said they'd return it washed and a full tank of fuel. Jokes on them, I haven't washed it during this heat wave since I made this trip.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I looked at your owner manual. Doesn't say anything about a pcm reflash in the towing section which you figure would be in there for legal reasons.

But there's probably one pcm recall pending for you regardless. I'm on my third iirc.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Oh yeah, I can see that. It's an option that you didn't purchase, so of course they'll charge you to enable it. Frankly I'd drop the money so that it doesn't interfere with the car's electronics. Like it says in the thread, the days of vampire tapping wires are over.

E:. There are many, many more goons in here with far more knowledge than me though.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Got a recall for my EGR that could fail and spray coolant into the engine intake. Oh, sorry! FCA doesn't have the parts yet, but we'll let you know when we do.

E: Well, maybe I'll get a new engine out of it or something.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Had my EGR cooler recall completed this week (4 months after the notice, no parts of course). Now there's a kind of sweet, maple syrup smell from my engine after I shut it off.

I assume it's from coatings on the new parts burning off, but could it be anything else? The intake manifold was not damaged and replaced.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ok, I'll take a look for leaks just in case and see if the smell goes away after a road trip or two. Thanks.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

New thread title. Jeep, hmm, that's a wierd smell.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

mattfl posted:

gently caress you you stupid POS jeep. Time for a new water pump :(

This is why I priced in a long term warranty when I was buying my GC compared to Ford, Toyota, etc.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm thinking of getting a 2015-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Probably the V6, probably a 2017-2018 Trailhawk

2018 diesel thawk owner here. Very happy with it. I take it on forest service trails to 6k foot mountains between orange and riverside counties and it's a good highway driver. But I've also never gone off-road in anything prior to it, so I can't compare. I'm a novice jeep owner and off-roader though, but I did price in a full extended warranty when cost comparing thanks to lurking in this thread. No issues other than a trim repair and 2 or 3 recalls on the diesel.

Used market is loving crazy. My value is 43k with 3 years old and 22k miles. I bought it at 45k. You may do better getting a new one at this point.

You get free wave membership when buying new which covers 4 oil changes for 2 years. Iirc, it's 150 a year after that which includes 2 oil changes. I'm not mechanically inclined unlike most goons in this thread, so I'd rather pay someone or let warranty deal with my inevitable jeep issues.

I also am 6 2, so it was the midsize I was most comfortable in as well.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Tactical burrito storage.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Changing my own oil and draining fuel filters for the first time in 20 years. Thank God for YouTube videos.

Everything went fine until I inspected the drain plug and noticed the absence of a washer. Got a washer on order for next day, but my truck rear end was hanging out of the garage. I kept telling myself over and over not to start the truck, just put it in run to get it into neutral so I can push it into the garage.

Well, I pressed the brake and hit the button and ran it for 1-2 seconds with no oil. gently caress me. Then I went to YouTube and found out how to pull a panel for the neutral cable disconnect.

Someone in a goon discord suggested that I install a fumoto valve, so I'm ordered one and doing that tomorrow.

And thus continues me trying to do my own maintenance.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks for the support. I figured with the rotella there's a thin film still there, so I didn't do too much damage.

Pretty sure there should be a washer there since there's a recessed area for one. See here down the page, I'm missing the red washer that others show in their YT vids.

https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/ecodiesel-oil-change-guide.html

Hopefully the fumoto valve will fit fine inside of the undercarriage plate that covers the oil pan. I ordered the lowest profile one.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Fumoto install is a success. A couple of mm's of the valve housing stick out from the undercarriage armor, but it's in the reverse slope. Should be pretty protected for the most part as I'm only doing babby trails.

Thanks for the moral support, I have almost zero mechanic knowledge and appreciate your inputs.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Hooray, just got a double recall notice. No parts available right now. Apparently the high pressure fuel pump can grenade itself and the abs module freaks out on occasion.

I've only had a couple of minor issues with my jeep in 40k miles, but I think I'm already up to 6 recalls.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm not as worried about the second one as I am about the hpfp. I start it with brake depressed out of muscle memory. Apparently the hpfp are from Bosch who misdesigned them to fail if they're starved of fuel and send metal into the fuel system.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yup, going on month 9 of no parts available for my hp diesel pump recall. Trying to keep my tank full so it doesn't grenade itself.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

See, that's just it. I've had only one problem in 49k miles. I've had the passenger side mirror replaced because it didn't auto dim. That's it.

It's been a pretty good vehicle so far, so I'm guessing I'm due for something catastrophic.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yes, it is whatever new fuel pump they're going to put in.

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/3051/safety-recall-z46-high-pressure-fuel-pump-2014-2020-jeep-grand-cherokee-2014-2019-ram-1500

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

It wasnt designed for lower sulfur US fuel, yes, if that's what you mean by lovely.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Can a non mechanically inclined lurker who does nothing but oil changes ask a really dumb question? What's the cost to rebuild that mess yourself versus getting something new/rebuilt already? Is it scarcity of parts?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Oh gotcha, it's a non-stock upgrade, thanks. Back to lurking!

(I just got my mailed notice today of a second GC recall they can't fix yet.

The magnetic material attached to the reluctor wheel can come off and cause stalls. Just pile it on top of my Bosch hpfp from over a year ago that can possibly grenade itself I guess.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Woohoo, got my first CEL at 65k miles. My high pressure fuel pump recall parts are on order as of 5 weeks ago from my July 2022 recall. I'd love to say they'll come in when I drop it off in a couple of weeks for the CEL.

What's the over/under on my recall parts being there in 2 weeks?

What's babby's first CEL? (No fuel cap, easiest guess is out.)

Stay tuned to find out!