Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Johnsmithindustries posted:

Haha, YES.

Why the hell would I dump nearly all my money and a significant portion of my free time the last 6 years restoring then dieseling an old Jeep that is uncomfortable, problematic, ugly, loud, slow, too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer?

For that one time I drove into the summer sunset on a winding country road with the top off and the wind in my hair. I will never forget it.

So you finally swapped in a diesel? Why no project thread? I demand more pictures! :argh:

And it's not ugly by the way. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My new toy, a '99 SE 4x4, just a bit over 80k miles so it's barely broken in :)

The fender flares are off getting a Forever Black treatment, which is a black dye that works excellent and makes the flares look new.

4.0 litres of bats in a cave FURY:

This doesn't look good (see fluid on tire) :( leaky inner axle seal. Project thread soon to come on this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have been fine with Chrysler killing the 4.0 if they would have had added a diesel option. :argh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a question for other Jeep owners. What's the correct way to incorporate the spare into rotating the tires? Does anyone even do this?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does anyone know of a decent rear spare tire carrier for Cherokees that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Viking Blood posted:

HOMEMADE! Do it and post the results.

Don't tempt me, my wife will kill me if I don't finish work on the house. No Jeep projects for awhile. :(

This one is cool but it costs over a grand for the carrier+bumper.

There's got to be something similar for less, it's just welded square steel stock for Christ's sake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

miklm posted:

Jeeeeeeep guys, tell me whether or not this is a decent deal.

http://bham.craigslist.org/car/623946092.html

That seems like a good deal, but to give you an idea of what Cherokees are going for, I got my '99 4x4 with 80k on the clock for under 5 grand. The updated interior and air bags are a HUGE plus over the older models. '99's are considered the best year because that was the last year of the "new" body/interior and before they updated the head which has issues. Mine is an SE, so it doesn't have power windows or anything but I like it that way, especially since it seems like a lot of people have issues with the electronics of the power windows. The only option I like is tilt and cruise, so I found a tilt column for $35 at a pick n' pull, and when I can find a wrecked '99 with cruise, it's plug and play.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I finally got to New York and had a chance to put the Cherokee in 4WD, the camp ground I'm working at has some pretty fun dirt roads way back in the sticks, add rain and it's fun in the mud.

I've noticed a "clunking" coming from the front end going over bumps and pot holes, anyone have an idea what it may be?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One single clunk over any significant bump/hole at low speed. I noticed it a bit going in and out of my driveway in Florida (which had basically a curb at the end of it) and didn't think much of it, but on the trail it was much more prominent.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Question. I recently had my 99 Cherokee off road, went to go up steep little hill, and after a little struggling got up the hill and noticed a burning smell. Smelled kind of like burning brakes, my 11 year old nephew said it smelled like food burning. :v:

It lasted just for a bit and then went away, I went up the same hill two more times later, but in 4WD low, and didn't notice it again. Any ideas what the burning was?

Also, after the off road outing with my nephew, he said "holy crap I want a Jeep". :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Braincloud posted:

Is it a manual? Sounds like your clutch was slipping.

Nope, automatic. Should have mentioned that. Funny, because it did smell like a clutch burning. :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Could I get some opinions on all terrain tires? I have a 99 XJ, live in western New York, so I need very good snow traction. I also manage a campground so I'm on dirt/gravel roads a lot and occasionally go off road. So far I'm considering:

1) BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K/O
2) Firestone Destination A/T
3) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

I'm leaning towards the Firestones since they're the highest rated and cheapest out of the three at $81 each compared to the others around $105 each. Also I'm wondering how wide I can go on the stock wheels. It came stock with 215's but currently has 225's. Can I go up to 235's for a wider patch without problems? Or am I just better off with 215's for better MPG and cheaper tire?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Polish posted:

Any tips on buying tires.. cause apparently I am clinicly retarted, and don't know the secret to buying stuff.

http://www.tirerack.com/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, I'm going to go with the BFG's, but what size is more beneficial to a STOCK XJ? 215's or 235's? They aren't available in 225 at least at tirerack.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tiananman posted:

Just bought a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo at Carmax last night. 29k miles and incredibly clean. I know this is a Jeep thread, but carmax is a great way to buy a car.

So how are the new Grand Cherokees rated? Any problems with them at all? I'd like to know how the new motor/drivetrain combo fairs.

I've been interested in them since they seem to be pretty drat cheap, gotta love domestic depreciation. I was originally looking at minivans, but there aren't any worth a poo poo at that price. The New Grands look awesome too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tiananman posted:

I haven't heard anything catastrophic - though I am a little wistful that they replaced the straight 6, but at least they replaced it with something that had more hp and torque. I don't have any illusions that it will be quite as bulletproof, but it's under warranty for another year, which might give me enough time to work through any major problems.

I've been reading the Edmunds reviews and they are not favorable at all. Not worth the risk to me. Too bad, because it looks great and people are saying it drives great. But lovely Chrysler service, transmission and other problems scare me off big time. :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

I don't know, the reaction to the JK puzzles me, I think it's a decent rig, I almost picked one up but decided to wait until I paid off my current truck first. The jeep community on some forums are split, some hate the JK and I think many reviews online will reflect that. My friend custom ordered a short wheel base JK and never had any issues with it.

I was refering to the '05 Grand Cherokee....Although is it close to the JK? Same motor/trans?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Well no one tried to talk me out of it, so heres my new $500 1989 XJ.

Now to get it some new tires and figure out where to take it. (Oh god, what am I getting myself into)

drat what a steal, it looks really clean. What's the mileage? Auto or manual? Also you don't see many with the spare tire mounted on the back, I wish mine had that option.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been having a couple issues with my 99 XJ and was wondering if some of you guys could help me sort them out.

For some reason, whenever the A/C or heat is on, the electric fan turns on then off every 20 seconds or so, non stop and does not stop until I turn off climate control. Is this normal? Because it's it's really loving annoying.

Lately the rear brakes have seemed very touchy, especially when cold, very little pressure on the pedal makes them almost lock up on gravel. I need to sort this out before snow starts falling.

During cold starts, it's been taking longer and longer to get the motor fired, and once it fires, the idle is noticeably rough until the engine warms up, almost like it's missing. I'm thinking a new battery will fix the starting issue (the one in it now is old) but I'm not sure what's up with the rough idle because it hasn't been doing it until recently.

And last, I'm tired of the gauge cluster with idiot lights (SE model) and want to get the cluster with real gauges, probably one off a sport or something. Is it plug and play, and will the digital odometer be showing my Jeep's mileage or the Jeep that I took the gauge from? My Jeep has pretty low mileage, I don't want to magically double it if I don't have to.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 17, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

incredibull posted:

Most cars with AC and electric fan do this. Besides this, many vehicles cycle the compressor at a longer interval in some of the heating positions to remove condensation and keep the system circulating throughout the year. As for the exact positions that will switch on the compressor, it seems random from one manufacturer to another, and I don't have an XJ.

Same with my TJ, and I attribute this to lack of ABS, but I'm interested in trying pads made of different material when I change these. They stop grabbing after the first few applications. Do yours continue to grab? If you do have rear ABS, it may not be doing its job.

I kind of understand it when the A/C is on, but the HEAT? I just don't get it. Any XJ owners get the same thing?

And as far as rear ABS, I don't think I have it, unless it's standard on the SE which I highly doubt. And they do grab at the first few stops, after that it goes back to normal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Donnie Darko posted:

I've been looking at buying a Cherokee recently after driving my friend's '94 Cherokee Sport around for a while. I drove this the other day http://tinyurl.com/4sypmp and it's in pretty good shape. After reading this thread, specifically Leica's comment about the upgraded heads, and reading Edmunds, I'm curious whether I should wait to try and find a 99 for cheaper or whether the 2000s and 01s are still solid choices.

I would still buy one, I don't think the new heads are that much of an issue honestly. That being said, you could get a MUCH better deal through a private seller if you're patient, there are nice XJ's all over the place. I paid just under 5k for my 99 and it had 80k on it. If you can find a 99, grab one, but if not I wouldn't sweat it. I didn't even know 99's were more desireable until after I bought mine, I just wanted an XJ. Got lucky I guess. :)

[edit] Also just wanted to add that I love my Cherokee, I've gone through A LOT of cars and this one stands out as one of the best. I think I'm going to keep this one a long time. :love:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 25, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just had to post a pic of my XJ, it's been the perfect vehicle for managing a campground. I've got a bunch of hiking trails to chose from, and we don't allow motor vehicles on them but I'm the manager and the trails need to be maintained. Needless to say I "maintain" them quite a bit. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

You are so lucky. Looking to hire any help? I have a perfect vehicle for trail work.

Eh, the job has it's drawbacks, I wish I owned the place. It sits on 200+ acres and would be perfect for a wheeling park. When I told the owners they'd make a killing catering to off roaders they looked at me like I had two heads. :(

Today I did some REAL maintenance.

Uh oh what's this.

Fuckin' trees in my way. Nothing a chainsaw can't handle.

Trail clear! Trees ain't got poo poo on me :colbert:

There are some tight squeezes on this trail. Well it is a hiking trail after all. :v:

Yes, the trail goes straight ahead. Both the mirrors got folded in, that's how tight it was.

That was the first time going through that particular trail. I had never attempted it before in my Jeep because I thought it was tight for our Kawasaki Mule....But I said gently caress it and went for it. Today was fun. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

At least you can have some fun on the job. Maybe I will start looking in to a parks service job like I keep telling myself I should. I think I need a job that is outside.

Oh yeah, the actual working part is fun, it's the 24/7 lifestyle of managing a campground that's getting old. I love working outside too, but dealing with the elements sometimes makes me wish I had a cushy job indoors. We've had so much rain here, it's made things a real pain in the rear end. You can see the standing water in the second pic, this whole place is like a swamp.....Makes for some fun wheelin' though. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

What part of the country?

Western New York.

And I know what you mean by being carefull, after I finished cutting up the tree I had a hard time getting out of that spot. But as long as I'm on the grounds I have a safety net in case I get stuck:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aran posted:

Where in WNY? I'm from Jamestown and can't think of where that could be.

Right outside of Angelica.

Ok, I have a question for northern XJ owners. I'm going to be looking at a 97 XJ and I need to know where to look for rust. I just moved here from Florida where there is no such thing as rust, so I have no clue where rust commonly resides on an XJ. The owner has said there's NO RUST but I find it hard to believe.

Also it's a manual, how are they? Any other tips for a 97 XJ would be great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also what are good ways to prevent rust? My current XJ is rust free and I'd like to keep it that way. I've had a few ideas.....Like slathering the entire underside with POR15 and/or buying a pressure washer and spraying off the underside with HOT water every few weeks.....Any ideas?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

incredibull posted:

Sweet jesus. That's why I'm a bit thankful to live in the PNW, and the west coast in general. The only rigs you really ever find rust on are the ones that came from out of state.

It's taking a lot to get used to coming from Florida. I've looked at a few cars for winter and the rust is just horrible. A 97 Subaru I looked at had a head gasket leaking, and if it was a Florida car it would have been worth fixing. This one had enough rust that it just wasn't worth it. Hopefully this 97 XJ I'm going to look at won't be too bad, but for the price they're asking it would have to be awful for me not to buy it.....Looks like I may be the proud owner of two XJ's. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I paid just under 5 grand for my 99 SE (stripped) with 80k. Florida truck, one owner, like new.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Disciple of Pain posted:

Driver's seat frame is busted a bit though and causes some rocking (to be replaced with a junkyard seat frame.

Just have it welded, the seats you get in the junkyard will more than likely have the same problem or will break soon after you install it.

Don't take it to an interior shop, they'll rape you. Take it apart, and take the frame to a local welder, or like in my case a friend that has a welder. I laid down some extra thick welds and reinforced it in a few places, that fucker is going nowhere now. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was told that a good and cheap way to raise my 99 XJ 2-3 inches, is to use front springs from a V8 Grand, and then just put blocks under the rear leafs.

Confirm/deny

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

s10 bastard pack

Please explain, I've never heard of this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

UH OH WHAT DID I DO

I bought another Cherokee, that's what I did. :colbert:

IMMACULATE interior. And notice that little stick in the console? I'm officially cool in AI now.

gently caress what's wrong with the seat how can that possibly happen

It's cool brah, the PO "threw in" this awesome replacement seat from a 92. SWEET.

Not all that bad considering I paid only a grand for it. 1997 with 104k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Nice deal!! I love beaters.

It might be a beater now, but once I'm done with it, it will be a gem. There's NO RUST anywhere besides surface rust underneath, the body is perfect and just needs a good cleaning/waxing, the seat frame will be welded, all seat covers and carpet thoroughly cleaned, fender flares dyed, etc, etc.

Once I get it to where I want it (hopefully by next winter) I may sell the white Cherokee to get a Wrangler :hellyeah:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OK, since the jerks at NAXJA won't help me, I'll put this question here.

I have a brand new set of Bridgestone all terrains, size 235/75/15. I was going to put them on the stock wheels, but i've decided to get a set of Cragar black steelies instead and put my stockers on my beater jeep since the wheels are hosed.

Here's my dilemma. 7 or 8 inch? Are 8 inch too wide or just right?

Also, there's a choice of offset between 4 1/2 and 4 3/4. Which is the correct offset for a 99 XJ?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jack_Handey posted:

Go for the 7 inch unless you plan on getting larger tires in the future, then I'd go with the 8" wide. I ran 33x12.50's on factory 15x7 wheels with no problems though.

As far as offset goes, factory is 5.25" of backspacing for all Wranglers (pre-JK) and Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, 4 1/2 is nice if you want to run bigger tires in the future because you won't rub on the control arms when turning, but they'll stick out a little bit more than stock.

poo poo, I already ordered 8" but I think I'm gonna change it because a friend of mine has 30's on 8 inch wheels and they look stretched out to me.

This offset poo poo confuses me, aren't I risking unnecessary wear on the bearings if the offset is off too much?

[edit] gently caress too late, order already shipped. I'm starting to wonder if I should just send them back and get stock wheels. What a pain in my rear end.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 3, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jack_Handey posted:

What backspacing did you order? 4.5" backspacing on steelies won't look bad, but instead of getting 235's you should get some 30x9.5x15's, they'll fit a stock jeep, especially with those wheels, and it'll look a lot better.

I got 8" with 4" backspace. And I already got the tires from tirerack. If anything I'd send the wheels back because shipping was free so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping twice like i would for the tires. Maybe I'll have one mounted to see how it looks. I'm worried about 4" BS now though because with stock suspension I could have problems with the tires rubbing.

I won't know until I see it, I've had people say 235's on 8" will be fine, and others say 8" is too wide. I'd honestly rather have the tires bulging a bit than stretched out over the wheel ricer style. Like you said, the tire protects the wheel that way....Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about that when I ordered the wheels. Oh well, I'll see how it looks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NAXJA is alright, the main problem with it is threads die REALLY fast so if you can't find what you need in search, starting a thread won't do much better. I've had legitimate questions with tons of views and only a couple replies. I understand that the same poo poo gets asked over and over, but XJ n00bs have to start somewhere. It just seems like there's no interest unless you fabricated a new part or figured out a new way to do something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Has anyone here done the Rock Lizard "home brew budget boost" AAL (add a leaf) with a stock main spring from an XJ?

From what I've been reading, it's better than a bastard pack because you're using another XJ leaf (instead of S-10/Dakota springs) so it's the same spring rate, which means a better ride and 2" lift. I'm thinking of doing it to both my XJ's, but my 97's springs are frowning :( so I'm not sure how much it would help on worn springs.

Here's the tutorial from Rocklizard's website:

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alright, who the hell is RyleyF over in the NAXJA forums. Posting the AI moniker in the HHO thread kind of gave it away. :v:

[edit] And who's mattbred posting speed and class. C'mon owe up. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 7, 2008