Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Jeep was a term often used to describe new recruits or unproven vehicles.

Heh, Not trying to thread poo poo but the history student in me just had to correct this.

There are a lot of ideas about where the name "Jeep" came from, but two are the most likely ones. The first comes from the Ford designation of "GP" this is probably the most well known theory although many make the mistake of thinking that "GP" stands for "General Purpose" it actually stands for "G"- Government and "P"- Was the vehicle class of a 4x4 1/4 ton truck.

Also likely and probably my favorite theory is that the vehicle was named after a magical comics character named the "Jeep"

The Jeep was a sidekick in the Popeye comics, a character that would be known to pretty much every G.I. since those books were often part of the materials sent to G.I's during the war. The Jeeps powers included doing anything and going anywhere, its easy to see how American soldiers impressed by the rugged performance of Ford's GP Vehicle would have made the connection and given it the name, Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU