Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eotnak
Apr 26, 2006
Hey look a Jeep thread! This is my old Jeep before I sold it to buy a house (that same old story)

It was a Christmas gift so I put it on just before I sold it.

converted to 4.3L Chevy v6. Used the Chevy TBI and ECM and worked out PERFECTLY. sm465 4 spd manual transmission with granny 1st gear. I would regularly let out the clutch and crawl up hills using no gas pedal. My plans were to install a black diamond coil over suspension, 38's, and a PTO winch but I sold it with 35's and a measely 6" lift. I even had 10" front and rear full floating diffs that I was about to cut into before I sold it all for $5500

I get more use out of my house, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eotnak
Apr 26, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How hard is it to drop in that 4.3? I always thought behind the 4.0, the 4.3 would be the next runner up, due to good amount torque on the low end, but have the horse power when hauling tail down the interstate.

I was an awesome motor. I think it had about 215k on it when I sold it. Speaking for YJ's At the time, the options were limited. The best was getting an adapter for a 2WD sm465 transmission (chevy 4 speed) this one is nice because it has a PTO option for all kinds of fun stuff. At the time only Advance Adapters was making an adapter to mate to the NP231 transfer case. The second best option was to use the Jeep AX15 (5 spd came with 4.0L or 4.2L) with a special bellhousing that allowed you to bolt up to the Chevy 90º engines. Right after I got done they came out with the NV3500 to NP231 adapter. I don't know if they had PTO but they had that nice overdrive gear for the highway. There was also a TH350 to NP231 adapter for the automatics.

Back then it sounded a lot easier than it was especially when you threw in fuel injection. Nowadays there's at least 3 different companies making countless adapters and wiring harnesses, it just takes some research and general know-how.