Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

gravypig posted:

Am I reading this right? Electronic Sway Bar Link disconnects? I don't think I've heard of such a thing. I would be interested to see how thats supposed to work.

This thread has a decent description of the JK Wrangler's sway bar based on a disassembly.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367045

I thought I had found a patent covering it, but it was relating to trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Atticus_1354 posted:

It's what I tell people who have no towing experience and want to to something ridiculous with their crappy vehicle. It isn't really true, but if your car isn't set up for towing it is good advice to follow.

It is certainly amazing what people will try to tow with their little cars.

Clearly with a properly set up vehicle towing a trailer weighing more than your vehicle is fine, pretty much any tractor-trailer rig or dual rear wheel pickup towing a large fifth wheel falls in to this category, but those are typically being driven by people who know how to tow, properly load their trailers, and don't drive like idiots.

Compare this to the average person who hitches up a U-Haul trailer to their daily driver...

I've had to explain to many friends why it's not a smart idea to tow much more than a few ATVs behind pretty much anything FWD. They immediately come back saying that's why they got a SUV, then I have to explain how their CR-V or Highlander is a really tall car and if they wanted to tow RWD and a solid rear axle should have been priorities.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wish we had regulations along those lines. Not the thing about maximum laden weight (though I guess that's probably just to make enforcement easy), but not allowing base license holders to tow more than their car weighs would be great.

Of course it would probably put U-Haul out of business (then again they could probably just get exemptions like I believe they have for their larger trailers to still have surge brakes), but meh.

I've been a long time supporter of putting stricter limits on what people can drive with our uselessly stupid basic driving tests. Being able to drive is too important to our economy for the driving test to be made much harder unfortunately, so I figure keeping the average idiot out of the driver's seat of 3+ ton trucks, anything with a large trailer, huge RVs, etc. until they prove they can handle something that large is the next best thing.

This is coming from someone who has quite a lot of seat time in a 38 foot Freightliner-based RV and tows cars every now and then, I'd be first in line to test for the license upgrade.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dingis Khan posted:

Also, it used to be a 4runner.

It still is, it's just better now :D

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The King of Swag posted:

Sadly, I think the increased length will hinder you for more serious off-roading.

There are a few obstacles on some well known trails where the opposite is true as well. I remember seeing one that's regularly shown in Four Wheeler where there are some steps that are almost perfectly aligned with the wheelbase of a standard Wrangler, making it an absolute bitch to climb with those but trivial for most anything else.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ablank posted:

the Vehicross did very well, I was expecting to be winching him all day, but there was only one obstacle he couldn't climb and that was because his approach angle sucks, but everything else, if he got a tire on it, he got up it.

As goofy as it looks, the Vehicross is a real truck underneath. Wiki claims it's based on the Trooper platform, but the size and equipment options point towards a curvy body on an Amigo platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

duep posted:

Which model has replaced the Cherokee ? Please tell me it's not the Liberty.

Unfortunately yes. Anywhere that's not the US, it IS the Cherokee.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/cherokee/

For the US, they made a quick name change post 9/11 :911: