Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Can anyone recommend good tutorials or books that'd cover the basics of C coding, ideally in the context of Arduino programming?

My partner volunteers at an autistic school and is helping a learner there build a cool Arduino project. She's very familiar with electronics but struggling a little with the programming side of things as none of the Arduino tutorials she's read cover the basic coding principles: statements, expressions, declarations vs definitions vs runtime execution, scope, types, etc.

I know she'll quickly thrive with a clear explanation and mental model, but I gained my knowledge of C back in the 80s and don't want to get her a copy of Kernighan & Ritchie and have her suffer from the mismatch of that to the Arduino environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

qsvui posted:

Beginning Arduino Programming seems to be what you're looking for.

Disclaimer: I've never even seen this book before doing a quick Google search just now

Looks to be highly appropriate, thank you!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You could just go whole hog and integrate SQLite?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm about to walk into a forest of rakes on the ground in some code using Boost asio.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ihmemies posted:

performance is not that critical, correct functionality is.

Print this out in huge bold type above your monitor and refer to it regularly while you design this project.

I'm a masochist for lock-free, wait-free, cache coherent multi-threading insanity (still chasing those 0.25ms DSP latency highs) and it is not worth it in any manner unless absolutely necessary or if you enjoy meticulously boring pain.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 21, 2024