Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008
Teach me about 64-bit integers in C.

In Java, int is four bytes and long is eight bytes. That's not the case in C, where, if I understand correctly, sizeof(long) only has to be at least equal to sizeof(int). So what should I do when I need a 64-bit integer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008
uint64_t and unsigned long long both work as long as I'm using gcc -std=c99. Hooray. Evidently, though, I don't understand what to do next.

For example,
code:
typedef unsigned long long ulong;

ulong x, y, z;
printf("%llu bytes.\n", (ulong) sizeof(ulong));
scanf("%llu %llu %llu", &x, &y, &z);
printf("x = %llu,\ny = %llu,\nz = %llu.\n", x, y, z);
If the input is 314, 31415926535897, and 6469693230, then the output is
code:
8 bytes.
x = 314,
y = 2147303424,
z = 2535732953.
Those numbers are not the same numbers at all. :(

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008

Lexical Unit posted:

You might open up your inttypes.h file and see what's in there. You may not find a perfectly portable solution, unfortunately.

code:
/* 7.8.1 Macros for format specifiers
 * MS runtime does not yet understand C9x standard "ll"
 * length specifier. It appears to treat "ll" as "l".
 * The non-standard I64 length specifier causes warning in GCC,
 * but understood by MS runtime functions.
 */
Oh, okay. Well, it's a good thing that this program's only going to be tested and run on a Linux machine that does understand "ll." Thanks, guys.

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008
I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, because apparently codepad can't.

Here's what's supposed to happen, and what codepad says does happen.
code:
Node at 0x804F438 says 10.000000x^100 and points to 0x0.
When I compile and run the same code, though, well.
code:
:< g++ -o a.exe a.cpp

:< a.exe
Node at 0x324C8 says -0.000000x^16386 and points to 0x64.
So what am I missing?

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008

vanjalolz posted:

I don't like the look of that, you're defining a struct Node then you're typedef'ing over it. You're using g++ so you dont need the type def anyway, change it to
code:
struct Node { ldouble coeff; ulong power; Node* next; }
The reason for the typedef is because this was at one point C code, and I didn't want to have struct nodes all over the place.

vanjalolz posted:

Are you on a 64 bit system? I think the proper way to printf pointers is %p.
I'm not, but you're right.

I don't get it, though. The new codepad output is still correct, but mine is still nonsense.
code:
>: g++ -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o a.exe a.cpp

>: a.exe
Node at 0x000324E8 says -0.000000x^16386 and points to 0x00000064.
Also:

MrVacBob posted:

One of your printf formats is being ignored (probably because it doesn't like "%Lfx") so it's reading the wrong thing off the stack.
I don't see why that would even be true. If I don't use %Lf, the compiler warns about a format-argument mismatch, and using either of "%Lfx" or "%Lf x" makes no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008

TSDK posted:

I think your dev environment is misconfigured. By the looks of it, either there's a mismatch in the calling convention or the long double support between your executable and the library you're linking against.
I guess so. As it turns out, changing long doubles and %Lfs, respectively, to doubles and %fs made everything work as it should've in the first place.