Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'm trying to think about cross-platform Windows/Mac compatibility for a the backend of a new project I've been working on. It's not a horribly complex project, since it's just a common C++ backend to a client that will have its own native frontends, but drat it's hard to figure out a good cross-platform way of doing things I'd normally lean on an MS API for.

What's bugging me now is package handling - ideally I need to deal with a zip file with some pictures, binary resources, text, and metadata. My first thought was OpenXML, specifically Open Packaging Convention, which is MADE for this and has a nice API. My second thought was *oh gently caress*, this won't work on the Mac. While it's submitted for standardization it doesn't look like there's a Mac or specific cross-platform C++ approach.

Is there a good, standard way to deal with this kind of problem from non-platform-specific C++? Or hell, some OPC solution for the Mac if we have to break this up? It seems kind of stupid to roll my own implementation for this, I can't believe it hasn't been solved before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Entheogen posted:

how exactly do << and >> work?
I know they are bitwise rotation to the left or right, but I think they eat up a carry that is 1>>1 = 0 instead of - max integer.
You're right. They're what's called a logical shift. If it carried the bit around it would be a rotate.