Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

What? 100 thtitcheth? 7 mithing teeth? Eh, I'll just thkate it off.
I hope this hasn't been asked already, I looked for a little on google and the beginning of this thread but didn't find anything.

I was wondering how to turn a C++ file into an actual application. Everything I do now just compiles into an a.out and i can run that through the command line but I was hoping I could actually make something that I could double click and open a little window. It wouldn't even have to look fancy, just a blank white window would be awesome.

PS. I'm using a Mac with Xcode and TextMate but I also have a windows machine at the ready. So suggestions for either would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

drat, I was hoping there would be something a little easier than learning an API but oh well.

I was going to use it cross platform because my main computer is a Mac and all of my friends run windows. I wanted to make an 'application' so that I could make a little program just messing around and send it to them to use/make jokes about/help me improve my programming, stuff like that.

Well, I'll just start checking out some of these sites. Thanks.

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

As long as you're using a cross-platform API, the amount of rewriting you need to do should be minimal. wxWidgets, for instance, uses native controls and supports a wide variety of operating systems.

The first one I looked at was wxWidgets is the first one that I looked at and downloaded. It looks pretty good, I'm just not sure exactly what to do with it. I unziped the file and just kinda looked at the 'install' docs. I'll have to browse their website (and google) later and try to figure exactly what to do.

I have heard a lot about how Java is a lot like C++ and I always considered learning it. But I don't really feel like tackling another language right now. I found a free online course on Ruby and I'm just kinda palin' around with that seeing if I want to try and get good at it.

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

They have a lot of syntactical similarities, and to a total beginner, they're pretty similar, but when you start getting into more advanced things, they can be very different, especially in terms of design philosophy.

Well...I've taken four classes on C++ already. That was about a year ago, and since then I have just been goofing off with it in my spare time. I wouldn't necessarily say that I have moved onto 'more advanced things' but I'd say that I am no longer a beginner.

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

coods posted:

I'm going to also suggest using Qt with C++.

I've been compiling Qt all day :(

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

BraggPxnk posted:

I've been compiling Qt all day :(

Ok, now I'm starting to get worried. I started compiling Qt at around 10 this morning and its still running at 7:30pm. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Is it actually doing anything? Check the command-line output, doing one action shouldn't take more than a minute so make sure lines are scrolling. According to a quick google, 2 hours on a Pentium 2 is considered "slower than normal," and others are reporting ~10 minute compile times.

It is actually been doing something. I've been checking the output a lot and it keeps on doing its think. I did the './configure' and the 'make'. It's doing the makefiles now. I'm using a 1Ghz G4 Mac running leopard.