Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I'm gonna stand up a new embedded project at work pretty soon. I have a reasonable amount of embedded experience but one thing I've never gone deep on is static analysis. What static analysis tools do you consider essential? Haven't decided whether to use C or C++ (leaning towards C though). The only difference that "being embedded" makes to me is
- Probably don't care about malloc/free usage checking
- Need to be able to bound what the analysis checks below and above or at least make selective carveouts so you can isolate all the "writing to random hardcoded addresses" and "this function doesn't look like it's ever called (because it's an ISR)" stuff
- Ideally is, or can be made to be, rtos aware with freertos or something but this is a big ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Sweeper posted:

are you look for free software only? obviously there is clang-tidy which does some cool stuff, tracks use-after-free in some cases, different modernizations, etc. I've found it pretty good overall. I've used sonarqube a bit and I don't get much out of it vs. clang-tidy. The code I work with most was written without so there are about a million warnings that we aren't going to clean up at this point so it is just noise. Costs money, fancy (if slow) UI. Run your test suite under valgrind to see if you are borking up memory somewhere?

afaik the really serious stuff is all paid for, interested to see what other people recommend

Open source software is better for us not just because of the cost element but because we're an open source company so it's nice to use open source tooling where possible. WRT to clang/llvm, I definitely had defaulted to gcc (or arm-gcc or whatever their spin on it was) but apparently llvm is basically fully mature on cortex-m at this point so hell yeah full speed ahead, probably clang and its static analysis family just straight up answers my questions.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

A nice lil guy that does some heating and some medium complex motion control stuff (mostly in a library) and some serial-ish communication on some cortex m4, using an rtos. Nice and standard stuff. Sweeper, why do you run builds with gcc and a separate clang-tidy pass? Don't trust clang-tidy, or it's just been compiled on gcc from the beginning and you don't feel like requalifying it, or what?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

When you say “part of it is kernel and part of it is user space”, is this an architecture like this:

- kernel module compiled from c source tree that does some coprocessor integration or special comms bus bullshit. Defines either a chardev and a bunch of poorly thought out ioctls or a bunch of poorly thought out sysfs paths. May have always been better off as a userspace program running eg spidev
- user mode program that has parts that are normal and do domain specific stuff or general purpose stuff, but also parts whose job is to talk to the kernel module(s) above and are thus tightly implicitly bound to them and also maybe tightly explicitly bound through shared headers to establish ioctl magics

Because i think the post above mine is true for the second item there; for the user mode thing, replace the interaction functions with mocks either through change-the-code dependency injection or LD_PRELOAD fuckery. For the kernel module itself though, I do think you need to use kunit, but if youre concerned about the time it takes you should look into qemu. I think you could get a qemu precompiled and a kernel precompiled, then spin up qemu and inject the compiled module as needed for kunit. I’ve definitely used slower unit tests.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The dry explanation of the flag isn't enough for me to understand why I would need to run make -C dir1 from dir2 when I ultimately want the output from dir2's Makefile. These two paths are not directly referencing each other so I don't get how that even works. Alternately, it doesn't work and I am getting fooled into thinking it does due to previous behavior. My problem after all is that it complains it has nothing to make the rule I am issuing that is sitting in dir2's Makefile.

Yeah you can run make -C from anywhere, it just runs in the directory you specify. So either
- Specifically being in dir2 is a shibboleth that doesn't actually do anything that was encoded in layers and layers of onboarding documents, or
- dir1's makefile is doing something very gross and wants to include dir2's Makefile and is doing this for some reason by parsing the invocation directory of the call to make rather than encoding a relative directory traverse

If it straight up does not work if you run make -C dir1 from some other random directory (including some directory outside of the tree with the absolute path to dir1) then it's probably doing the second thing. In dir1's makefile, look for include statements or submake invocations (i.e. calling make whatever if they're very dumb/confused or $MAKE whatever if they're a normal level of dumb/confused) and figure out where the hell that path is coming from.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Dren posted:

Once you figure it out, never tell anyone. You don’t want to become the make guy.

This is the single best piece of advice anybody has given on this whole saga. I cannot agree with it enough. Do whatever you must do to avoid being the make guy. Do not minimize it. Do not think "ehh it wasn't that bad this time". Do not think "how often do we really change them anyway". Do the bare minimum to fix it now (or possibly move it to cmake or something) and try and immediately forget what you learned.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I think at that point you might as well run it in qemu or something. Probably a similar amount of work to get set up and no worrying about whether you mocked things right.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Can somebody direct me towards best practices for C project organization? I keep just seeing a ton of .c and .h files in a flat directory, and thinking there must be a better way to do this.

Honestly just do the same poo poo as you would in any other language. Separate your functionality logically into separatable modules that hold contracts with each other, separate the files along the same lines, etc. Just like you would in python or anything else. Could do worse than looking at big c projects like the linux kernel or systemd or something.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Another c++ on baremetal rtos person here. It’s really nice. There’s even more and more of the stl you can actually use in modern standards. For instance, std::array doesn’t allocate and lets you get range and span. std::variant is great for message passing architectures. from_chars and to_chars provide non-allocating parse/emit for the kinds of things you actually parse/emit on micros, right in the standard. There’s a ton of stuff you get for free.

Even with stl containers that normally allocate, the thing you need to avoid in memory constrained real-time environments is a shared heap with possibly-unbounded allocations - the shared part is where you run into trouble with non deterministic allocation times busting real time needs because you might need a heap scan to compact or find appropriate holes, and the unbounded part is obviously bad. But because those are the specific problems, if you’re comfortable writing and using custom allocators, you can use object containers like deque, list, or map with a per-container object pool allocator of bounded size backed by a static buffer just fine.

There’s some problematic stuff still - formally it’s a really bad idea to turn off exceptions since they provide the only language safe signaling mechanism in places like constructors, and you probably aren’t actually doing as good a job of making everything noexcept as you think, I know I’m not - but it’s a really nice environment particularly if you have the sort of brain worms that like to write c++ that asymptotically approaches rust.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the difference between a SEU that changes a vtable entry, versus one that changes a PLT entry, versus one that changes a jsr instruction for code paged into RAM?

To be fair, most of the micros we're talking about here are XIP nonvolatile code storage, so that last one isn't happening. The first two are fair though.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I mean it very well may be? Like anybody here who's worked in embedded for a while, how many people have you met that still use PICs or only use assembler or don't believe in undefined behavior or don't believe in unit tests. Handwaving is endemic

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

And it's sort of hard to blame people that much for it. It's an environment where every random 3 to 6 month project usually comes with a different programming environment, completely different set of requirements and goals and compute available, different sets of hundred/thousand page pdfs to understand, different levels of abstraction, testability, amount of feedback, math and science requirements, support and documentation, and a lot of it really not actually aimed at being helpful; and in a lot of those environments once code's released it's never touched again. At a certain level it's hard to blame people for falling back on stuff they know, and know works, and don't see a point in changing.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

baby puzzle posted:

I want to do something with dates and times but I don't know where to start.

I want to create yearly "events" for which I can specify a month/day/time that they start. Then I need to be able to tell where those events are in relation to the current time. I might even want to do more advanced things like "the first day of spring."

Which library should I be using? Can std::chrono help me do this? I can't really understand anything in there. I'm using C++17.

I may just wind up manually entering timestamps for the events for the next 10 years or something. But if there's a library out there that can make this easy then I'd like to do things properly.

You might want to check out boost's calendar for this, I think that would work.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

leper khan posted:

Err.. union wouldn't bit pack that way. Not sure it's well represented without macros in C
C code:
typedef union {
    struct sizepacked {
        uint32_t size : 8
        uint32_t str : 24
    };
    struct sizepacked sp;
    char* ptr;
} string_view_smalladdr;
?

you'd have to do some casting but you could put that in helper functions. also not sure if you really get anything out of this "optimization" because either it has to take up the same pace as a pointer-size pair or you always have to pointer-pass it and dynamically cast

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

In theory if you have a MyVariant = variant<Base, Derived1, …, DerivedN> you should be able to write a Base& view(MyVariant mv) { return visit(mv, [](auto& elem) -> Base& { return dynamic_cast<Base&>(elem);}); } or something

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there any easy way that I'm missing in C++ to quickly allocate memory for a vector of vectors? I'm doing a lot of relatively small allocations and it's slow.

I've got a genomics HPC application that I've been tuning to run better, that's what all the posting about vectorization was earlier. After making a pretty big win with massif to decrease peak memory usage, we're chasing better total throughput by launching many processes at the same time now that it uses less memory and we can fit more into a single worker node.

The application has three big phases: preparing a large, read-only data structure that's made up of a vector of 100k-1 million vectors of bytes, each 50k-1m bytes long, then spawning threads to do all its work as a single parser thread throws lines from the input onto a synchronized queue and all the worker threads pull from it, then write to a single output thread via a synchronized queue, and then at the end it sorts the output on a single thread using a fixed amount of memory.

We're running into Ahmdal's law where we have more wasted scheduled CPU time as we use more worker threads, and I've gotten the memory usage down to basically just the single large data structure + less than 100MB other stuff, so I'm trying to request less memory and thread and get a bunch of these packed onto a single worker node at once. The unexpected bottleneck is that the more processes we have in the allocation phase at once, the longer the allocation phase takes for all of them, in a pretty big way! I checked I/O metrics and we are not limited on disk I/O or apparently exhausting memory bandwidth (that I can see via a naiive check), so my question is:

Is there a system-wide memory allocation bottleneck? What could I do to alleviate this with a vector of vectors? Each vector is allocating via a complete copy from an existing vector, then mutating without ever adding more items, which should only allocate once. The set I'm testing this on is only allocating about 100k vectors of 60k bytes each, but having 20 processes sitting there on a single node is taking much longer than forecast on a less-loaded node.

can you split the ingest into
- pass 1: determine the number of datasets and the size of each dataset; heap-allocate a single chunk of memory as a std::array or using array-new that is large enough for both the data index vector and all the data vectors. placement-new the index vector into it at the beginning and reserve the required space. then go placement new all the data vectors in the rest of the space using your own pointer math and put their addresses in the index vector, same deal with reserving space
- pass 2: fill in the data

the benefit to this is it should cost fewer sbrk syscalls/pagefaults/whatever since you're just getting a big slab of memory for everything. there's also probably better ways and libraries to do this but really the core thing you need to do is to try and figure out how much memory you need before you need it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

AgentF posted:

Question: how come this code compiles and works fine with gcc but not msvc?

code:
std::inclusive_scan( input.cbegin(), input.cend(), output.begin(), std::ranges::max );

First I was gonna blame msvc until I noted that they added really good ranges support. Then I was gonna blame the docs on ranges::max saying that it doesn't participate in ADL, which msvc might be using under the hood, so I tried using std::max instead of std::ranges::max and there, while it doesn't have the problems with internal generated functions, it still can't deduce the template arguments, so I have no drat idea

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I cannot imagine trying to self study stuff like that without motivating examples or an actual teacher honestly. Here are some motivating examples:
- what somebody said (phone can’t see previous posts while typing I forgot who it was) about storing yes/no or present/not present results in less space
- in general, storing values that can be fully represented in lengths other than 8, 32, or 64 bits more efficiently. This is valuable for optimization like that poster said but it’s not just high end stuff you’ll never do - some on-the-wire serialization formats use this, or the low level equivalent of IPC in embedded systems, register-model interfaces that look like the next example
- controlling a system where different bits mean different things, which is common in embedded device memory-mapped io (bit N of the byte at 0x8008354 controls pin N of the gpio port)
- walking or accessing a buffer of packed values

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Turns out “this language is Turing complete” is not a sufficient standard for using it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

I'm working on a project that would benefit from having a good function call trace system, after reading up on stuff around the internet it seems like this is a format that can do the job:

well... I think more typically you do this:
code:
#define TRACE(...) do {printf(...);} while (0)
Note the lack of the semicolon after the while(0). This lets you use the macro in a way that makes it feel more naturally like code, e.g. TRACE("oh no!");. And the reason for the do-while is that when you comment it out (or more typically depend on a value from the build system) you don't comment out the entire definition, you do this:
code:
#define TRACE(...) do {/*printf(...);*/} while (0)
so that semicolon still has something to do, and the empty loop gets compiled out. it seems a little annoying to comment it like that, which is true, and is why it's more usually something like this
code:
#ifdef DEBUG
#define __DO_TRACE(...) printf(...);
#else
#define __DO_TRACE(...) 
#endif
#define TRACE(...) do { __DO_TRACE(...) } while (0)
or whatever you build system gives you for debug/release builds, or something like that

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

That's a much better explanation, thanks!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

You can as others have shown, but if this is code that anyone else will ever need to read without talking to you, you'd need to think very carefully about how to document that the entry point is not what they're expecting. Doing something with the preprocessor is a lot more intelligible.

One of arduinos uncountably many crimes is this poo poo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

Thanks for the replys!

OK, that sounds pretty much like what I was doing, just with the extra step of getting the value out of the linker script because I was thinking that that is the place memory architecture should be described. I like the idea of getting the memory address out of the chip header file though, I'll take a look and see if it's defined in there.

That's kind of the setup I started with, but then had the paranoid thought that if future-me ever forgot about the details and allocated another bit of memory in this shared bank to be used by only one processor, that' processors linker might stack things in memory from the base address as (new item, FIFOs) while the second processor's linker would just have (FIFOs) and they wouldn't agree on the FIFOs address.

This makes me think that maybe it would be a good idea to comment out references to the shared memory entirely from the linker scripts while adding a note stating why I did that. Then future me can't would not be able to put anything else there by just giving it an attribute, I'd have to open up the linker script and (hopefully) run across my old warning comments.

if you want to be that paranoid, declare a custom section the size of your fifo in each linker script that doesn't get initialized, then declare the fifo data structure by value in each place with an attribute(section) and take the address of that instead of binding a pointer to a linker symbol. the compiler will treat that memory as used and fail to compile because it doesn't have enough room if you forget and try to put something else there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

But then I saw that if we make this configuration in armadillo's own headers, then CMake can correctly figure out what to link without me having to specify it: https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/FindArmadillo.html. I can't think of a sane step in our build though to set this via editing the file include/armadillo_bits/config.hpp, as recommended. https://arma.sourceforge.net/docs.html#config_hpp

Thoughts?

I think that
- if you’re not controlling the armadillo source (like it’s an open source project and the reader says “install armadillo-dev before building” imo you’re stuck with using a define, and probably you should do what ultrafilter said, and probably you should have a full definition set there not just that one
- if you’re controlling the armadillo source, like downloading it with external_project or a prescript, then sed it in place in the bits header, i guess

Idk I kind of hate configuration like that but if it’s all under my control I’d do the second