Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I have heard people pronounce lib with a long I, but it’s very uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

VagueRant posted:

Trying to write a Cron schedule expression that triggers on the last Sunday of March (at 00:50).

If I do:
50 00 25-31 3 SUN
it apparently treats the date range as an OR and therefore covers EVERY Sunday in March.

The pre-existing system this plugs into will only take a raw cron expression, I can't do anything fancy and dynamic that you could do in a terminal. Am I right in saying this is impossible?

yeah. usually you'd have access to the thing the cron job is running and have it do the check inside the script or whatever to see if it's really the last sunday.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

For linux at least, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it any other way than rhyming with nib

If you go on youtube and search for libc, all the videos I opened before I got bored pronounced it like nib

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there are places or groups where people pronounce it differently though

one of my professors (a native Russian speaker) pronounced it as the first syllable of Library.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
It’s pronounced like the ‘i’ in ‘linux’

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DoctorTristan posted:

It’s pronounced like the ‘i’ in ‘linux’

I'm case you're joking, that does have one officially correct pronunciation, using i as in Linus as pronounced by a Swedish-speaking Finn. He owns the trademark, and while he didn't name it, it is based on his name; he gets to dictate how it should sound. :)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Computer viking posted:

I'm case you're joking, that does have one officially correct pronunciation, using i as in Linus as pronounced by a Swedish-speaking Finn. He owns the trademark, and while he didn't name it, it is based on his name; he gets to dictate how it should sound. :)

while I am sympathetic to that idea, the preceding discussion demonstrates that even though the common prefix "lib" is based on the word "library", most people take the view that it isn't pronounced as that relationship between words might suggest. So this isn't a dependable principle in general

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

ShoulderDaemon posted:

This is the stupidest aspect of cron.

Per the manpage:
code:
Note: The day of a command's execution can be specified by two fields
— day of month, and day of week. If both fields are restricted (i.e.,
aren't *), the command will be run when either field matches the current
time. For example, “30 4 1,15 * 5” would cause a command to be run at
4:30 am on the 1st and 15th of each month, plus every Friday. One can,
however, achieve the desired result by adding a test to the command
(see the last example in EXAMPLE CRON FILE below).

EXAMPLE CRON FILE

#Execute early the next morning following the first
#Thursday of each month
57 2 * * 5 case $(date +d) in 0[2-8]) echo "After 1st Thursday"; esac
I have no idea why it works that way instead of being a logical and like every other field in a crontab. Everyone gets caught by this, it's never what people expect or want.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

yeah. usually you'd have access to the thing the cron job is running and have it do the check inside the script or whatever to see if it's really the last sunday.
Thanks peeps. Kinda sucks, but at least I can confidently say no!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks for the anecdote on how y'all pronounce lib. I'll keep saying lib like gib in my head.

For the people who pronounce lib like the first syllable of library, how do you say "bin" as in /bin? I've always called it bin as in trash bin but now I'm thinking some people call it bin like the first syllable of binary? For the German speaker upthread I guess this would be "bein" as in bone.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the anecdote on how y'all pronounce lib. I'll keep saying lib like gib in my head.

For the people who pronounce lib like the first syllable of library, how do you say "bin" as in /bin? I've always called it bin as in trash bin but now I'm thinking some people call it bin like the first syllable of binary? For the German speaker upthread I guess this would be "bein" as in bone.

no one calls it "bein". its "bin" as in garbage [ie, what you find in it]

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Same kind of pronunciation as GIF.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Computer viking posted:

:thejoke:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Volmarias posted:

Same kind of pronunciation as GIF.

soft g per specification

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

leper khan posted:

soft g per specification

Uh there's no g in specification

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ah always the most fun teaching Linux courses or pair debugging with people who spend their lives clicking little buttons with a mouse who need to do something from a shell: "Go to /etc"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Ah always the most fun teaching Linux courses or pair debugging with people who spend their lives clicking little buttons with a mouse who need to do something from a shell: "Go to /etc"

One of the joys of working where I do is that while I have to do this, the people involved are usually smart, curious and motivated. It's kind of fun teaching people who actively want to learn. Even if we have to start at "what is a command line" :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

More of a documentation question: What is the process for generating system req's for an app? (minimum). Does anyone have experience with writing these?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

More of a documentation question: What is the process for generating system req's for an app? (minimum). Does anyone have experience with writing these?

what is the lowest spec thing youve tested it with? what is its worst case resource usage?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ask your testers what their machine specs are, and what performance issues they faced. Derive minimum requirements accordingly. Everyone knows that system requirements are bullshit to some extent, so you shouldn't feel like you need to get them "correct".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Of course if you have some hard requirements, do list those. Like if you need some certain GPU features to do anything at all, or you need a significant amount of disk space for working storage.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Everyone knows that system requirements are bullshit to some extent, so you shouldn't feel like you need to get them "correct".

This is kind of how I feel about it too. Even a processor from 15 years ago can run a lot of applications.

leper khan posted:

what is the lowest spec thing youve tested it with? what is its worst case resource usage?

So yeah thats the thing. Having the lowest benchmarked item to test with. Im not even sure how to deduce that without having it in hand

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This is kind of how I feel about it too. Even a processor from 15 years ago can run a lot of applications.

So yeah thats the thing. Having the lowest benchmarked item to test with. Im not even sure how to deduce that without having it in hand

the question isnt what is the lowest benchmark item that could run it. its what is the lowest benchmarked item _that has_

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Basically, ask around for someone who has a really old, lovely laptop, and ask them to play your game and see what happens.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I play games below min spec all the time. Nobody gets it "correct." Even companies with tons of resources won't tell you what the lower bound for being capable of running the game is. They more go for the lowest spec at which they can guarantee a certain experience. And that can include things like "I can't support that hardware because I don't have access to it to test on it."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
games seem pretty dependent on specific hardware features from the GPU so they're hard to test for but for regular software couldn't you just run it in VMs with restricted cpu/ram to see how it goes?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Probably not the right place for this question, but I had a data set from possibly the early 90s. Does anyone recognize some of these extensions? How would you recommend opening these?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Probably not the right place for this question, but I had a data set from possibly the early 90s. Does anyone recognize some of these extensions? How would you recommend opening these?

I have seen .dta used for stata, depending what your data set is that may or may not make sense. .bak is usually a backup of some kind but I've seen it used by many different programs.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
BAK used to (still does) stand for "backup". And from the screenshot they seem to be a backup of the other file with the same name, but different extension. DTA most likely stands for "data". What does it contain ... is application dependent. NDX most likely the same thing. You most likely need the application that created these (or a reader) to be able to see what's inside them.

For now I'd just open them up in a hex editor or just plain notepad to see if there are any strings in there that may make any sense.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Borland DataBase Toolbox (based on https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1369943)

edit: looking at https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_borlandturseToolbox1985_5104586/mode/2up, this seems like a Berkeley DB style key-value store, so you'd have to use or reverse-engineer the original program to interpret the data.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 11, 2024

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Seems like ndx would be the index associated with the data. https://fileinfo.com/extension/ndx

This matches with the lbl being a dbase file, though the .cal may still be readable with existing calendar tools. The ovr was likely Windows proprietary, maybe an SVG like label/drawing format.

Fortunately they are unlikely to be encrypted, possibly some minor compression, probably fairly easy to reverse engineer.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
This is a picture from a blog post in which text that is italicized is adjacent to non-italicized text. Because of a flaw in how the text is rendered (I don't know whether it's the fault of software, web standards, the blog author, or whether the fault lies elsewhere) the ascender on the letter "d" at the end of the word "should" isn't visible; the word looks like "shoula". Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hammerite posted:

This is a picture from a blog post in which text that is italicized is adjacent to non-italicized text. Because of a flaw in how the text is rendered (I don't know whether it's the fault of software, web standards, the blog author, or whether the fault lies elsewhere) the ascender on the letter "d" at the end of the word "should" isn't visible; the word looks like "shoula". Is there a name for this phenomenon?

clipping?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, this sounds like a pretty strange clipping error. Why is the entire italicized segment being rendered separately, rather than onto the canvas everything else would be using? I don't know if there's a term for this because it's a baffling decision, and one that should have been handled already.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, this sounds like a pretty strange clipping error. Why is the entire italicized segment being rendered separately, rather than onto the canvas everything else would be using? I don't know if there's a term for this because it's a baffling decision, and one that should have been handled already.

Looks like the italics tag is overflow:hide, so anything inside it that goes outside the bounding box is getting clipped.

You can do very stupid things with CSS if you want to, and the browser will faithfully render that even when it's dumb.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Typographically, "insufficient leading" (that being pronounced "led", as in Pb) or "excess kerning". Graphically it would translate to an improper/insufficient bounding box, because the (likely vector) ascender position has been miscomputed when the italics/slant variant is in use. Without additional data it's hard to say if it's clipping or overwriting by the subsequent character (though I'd tend to agree with the others that it's being clipped to its bounding box).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This may be more appropriate for the data engineering thread, but what is the best solution to extract tables from pdf files using python? I'm looking at these reports, the tables in them are pretty simple and don't seem like they should be that hard to extract. It's not an image, it's text with formatting

https://www.federalreserve.gov/supervisionreg/dfast-archive.htm

I've tried using pypdf, the built in linux pdftotext, tabula, camelot, none of them do it properly out of the box. Is there anything that does, or is this not really a solved problem? Obviously just copy pasting it would be easy, but I'm doing this out of curiosity

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's definitely not a solved problem in general because a lot of PDF tables are badly formed. Nested column headers like you have there can be particularly nasty, especially if every document is different. I've had the best luck with Parsr, but there's no magic easy button.

https://github.com/axa-group/Parsr

mystes
May 31, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

This may be more appropriate for the data engineering thread, but what is the best solution to extract tables from pdf files using python? I'm looking at these reports, the tables in them are pretty simple and don't seem like they should be that hard to extract. It's not an image, it's text with formatting

https://www.federalreserve.gov/supervisionreg/dfast-archive.htm

I've tried using pypdf, the built in linux pdftotext, tabula, camelot, none of them do it properly out of the box. Is there anything that does, or is this not really a solved problem? Obviously just copy pasting it would be easy, but I'm doing this out of curiosity
Is that table not in the csv files also linked there?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mystes posted:

Is that table not in the csv files also linked there?

It is, but I’m trying to get it from the pdf directly as a challenge

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

It is, but I’m trying to get it from the pdf directly as a challenge

I do this for a living and PDFs are literally the worst. Every document will be different and it will always be a finicky pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Feed it to ChatGPT-4-vision and have it OCR the content and render as a CSV?