Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

pokeyman posted:

My sql schema is an id column and a text column. The game is an append-only text log of events.

this but a kafka instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

redleader posted:

this but a kafka instance

:hmmyes:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Also I wasn't joking, I'd do what this champion did https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2014-12-08-command-languages-as-game-ui/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pokeyman posted:

My sql schema is an id column and a text column. The game is an append-only text log of events.

Please do not leak my new itch.io horror game

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, that's extremely interesting, thank you for linking it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultrafilter posted:

Ultimately that's a data modeling problem, so it's going to depend on what kind of queries you need to do and what sort of data you need to represent. Do you only need to be able to look up the modifiers for a card, or do you need to be able to find all the cards with a given modifier? Are there a small set of modifiers that won't expand, or are there (e.g.) uncapped multipliers? There are probably other questions that matter, but those are the big two that come to mind right away.

Playing the game I had the same thought as OP, because it's very good at counting things you might miss with strict interpretations. There's a stack of jokers at the top, where order matters, but some joker effects trigger at the start of scoring a hand, some trigger mid-way, some trigger after.

An example: I have a joker that allows Straights and Flushes to be 4 cards. I play these 5 cards:
2c Jc Qc Kd 10(wild suit)

That counts as a Straight Flush. Scoring the hand can involve effects that the player wants to stack (e.g. Face cards add +4m, All Cards count as Face cards).

I definitely would've ended up with a ball-of-twine like Nethack's internals.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The order of the hand matters too, as the playing cards can have order dependent modifiers. Balatro actually needs to explain this better, that cards can be arranged in hand to affect the order played, because it certainly doesn't automatically reorder for anything optimal.

Which suggests to me that it is a big ball of procedural twine for how it only shows base chips and mult until the hand actually plays.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ranzear posted:

The order of the hand matters too, as the playing cards can have order dependent modifiers. Balatro actually needs to explain this better, that cards can be arranged in hand to affect the order played, because it certainly doesn't automatically reorder for anything optimal.

Which suggests to me that it is a big ball of procedural twine for how it only shows base chips and mult until the hand actually plays.
Five factorial is not exactly a big number even if it needed to try every possible hand order. But even if it wanted to automatically choose the optimal hand order, that's not actually possible since cards can have effects aside from the resulting score (there isn't guaranteed to be a single optimal hand order in all cases).

There are also nondeterministic effects that would make it difficult to always show even just the final score resulting from a selected hand (I suppose it could show it the final chips/multiplier in other cases and just show question marks if necessary though)

I think it also just chooses not to make this stuff too obvious/easy so there's more opportunity to figure stuff out on your own.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My gripe isn't about the lack of calculation but the lack of clarity on the order of play, which was mentioned earlier but just about jokers.

But their run seeding is complete enough to tell you the hands definitely aren't non-deterministic.

Yes, of course not precalculating the result is a gameplay aspect. I've had more coffee and remembered that base chips and mult is another variable that gets scaled separately too.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
There's one tarot card that mentions rearranging the hand, but that's a little oblique.

Just trying to enumerate the effect sources, there's Vouchers, Jokers, Tarot, Planet, Spectral, Boss Blind? uhh... Cards in Hand, for steel/gold.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had one joker combo that

1. Would apply effects of face cards in hand (you control, but aren't part of your played hand), to the cards being played

1. All cards are considered face cards (J Q K)

1. Play all cards as if they're face cards

Periodically I'd have a card in my hand with a red seal (play this card twice). This is on top of the cards played and they're effects

Jokers can have stacking effects on other jokers too. One raises the value of each joker each round, one has a mult + for the total value of all jokers. Another combo is joker has mult increased every time you reroll and other jokers that modify reroll e.g. lower reroll cost

My guess for some card logic there's just a function of unique functions that trigger in a particular order to keep the rules from stepping on each other

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

There's one tarot card that mentions rearranging the hand, but that's a little oblique.

I probably went 4 hours before realizing this. That and glass cards are a 2x mult not 2+, so you always want glass cards played last in your hand

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Posting to be part of the page 666 milestone.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

hail CMOS

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
640 should be enough for anybody!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I can't believe I'm the OP of this thread

fake edit: and the last two iterations of it too. I genuinely did not remember that there used to be frequent reboots of this thread :discourse:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are threads that should be rebooted every so often but this one probably doesn't need it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Megathreads used to break the forums so that probably contributed, and CoC used to be part of SH/SC which made it harder to find programming threads, and and and I'm loving old as poo poo

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It is weird to think that threads used to be limited to 25 pages.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Plorkyeran posted:

It is weird to think that threads used to be limited to 25 pages.

1000 posts should be enough for everybody

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Which programming language is most closely associated with satan?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Polio Vax Scene posted:

C.
it has done His work more than any other lang

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Polio Vax Scene posted:

If we're doing tarpits then surely Malbolge.

Anyhow, JavaScript. It has neither principles nor morals, it is impure, and it has clearly tempted Man to fall.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 29, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

csammis posted:

fake edit: and the last two iterations of it too. I genuinely did not remember that there used to be frequent reboots of this thread :discourse:

Time to let it go,?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

csammis posted:

Leaky memory in the programming thread? :thunk:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

working on a personal project - messing around with code to compare a landscape image to a data set of camouflage patterns and have it return which of the camo patterns are most effective. i've currently got a very simple implementation using opencv to get color histograms and compare them, but while the results are neat for a couple of nights of dicking around i'm looking to get better results than what i'm getting now.

some research today pointed me towards content-based image retrieval having shape and texture as parameters for this type of categorization. i'm now deep enough in this rabbit hole that i'm wondering what i need to be reading to more meaningfully understand what i'm looking at in terms of solving this problem and if cbir is a workable solution or if i've got an xy problem and i'm barking up the wrong tree. my computer vision knowledge is incredibly rudimentary so posts suggesting introductions to the field/best sources to learn and understand theory are going to be useful, as well.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

So stick with me here, Satan is typically seen as causing people to move toward sin, but all evidence suggests that people are abject sinners and those who most profess godliness/absence of sin and horror at it (note I didn't say 'enlightenment') are those most frequently found sinning. Ergo, popularity and claims of superiority are the marks of the sinners.

There are only two choices: Java and/or Python.

It seems likely that strongly and weakly typed languages are equally leveraged by the Morningstar.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

So stick with me here, Satan is typically seen as causing people to move toward sin…

If this first part is true, then the most sinful language is Perl, because it encourages people to use regular expressions. And I get it, because they are attractive and seem to solve your immediate problems.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

So stick with me here, Satan is typically seen as causing people to move toward sin, but all evidence suggests that people are abject sinners and those who most profess godliness/absence of sin and horror at it (note I didn't say 'enlightenment') are those most frequently found sinning. Ergo, popularity and claims of superiority are the marks of the sinners.
haskell it is then

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OOP certainly seems like hubris, creating and mutating and destroying things, which is His prerogative.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There are only two choices: Java and/or Python.

It seems likely that strongly and weakly typed languages are equally leveraged by the Morningstar.

I had to check what thread this was, I thought this was a Paradise Lost shitpost.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a quiz that I got a few wrong on and I was curious if ya'll could illuminate me.

quote:

Given:

p = true

q = true

r = false

s = false

Determine the answer to the following:

not((p or q) and (r or s))

Thinking about this question, I'm fairly certain it returns as false. P & Q return true and r or s return false. So true and false = false. Not is a reverse operator so not(false)=true. Am I wrong?

Additional quiz question:

how many red triangles does the following code draw?

0,1,2,3?

quote:

def f(color):
Rect(0,0,100, 100, fill=color)

def g(color, num):
if (num == 7):
f(color)
if (color == "red):
f("black")
else:
f(color)

I'm fairly certain this wouldn't draw any because it has a syntax error. ASSUMING the syntax error was fixed, this still wouldn't draw any triangles because num is never declared before it's used?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I had a quiz that I got a few wrong on and I was curious if ya'll could illuminate me.

Thinking about this question, I'm fairly certain it returns as false. P & Q return true and r or s return false. So true and false = false. Not is a reverse operator so not(false)=true. Am I wrong?

You just gave two different answers - the first wrong and the second correct.

!((P || Q) && (R || S))
!(TRUE && FALSE)
!(FALSE)
TRUE

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Well, first you say it evaluates to false (incorrect) but then after you show your steps you say it evaluates to true (correct), so, there's a correct answer in there somewhere :v:

these sorts of questions are trivial to just check yourself:

$ python3 -q
>>> p, q, r, s = True, True, False, False
>>> not((p or q) and (r or s))
True
>>>

num is never declared before it's used?
num is an argument to the function :confused:

I don't really know what to do with that question because f is never called except via g, and g is never called anywhere

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 13, 2024

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My brain is a random answer generator you see.

I answered true on the quiz and it was marked wrong so I'm not crazy.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Are you sure you transcribed it correctly here?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Dijkstracula posted:

Well, first you say it evaluates to false (incorrect) but then after you show your steps you say it evaluates to true (correct), so, there's a correct answer in there somewhere :v:

these sorts of questions are trivial to just check yourself:

$ python3 -q
>>> p, q, r, s = True, True, False, False
>>> not((p or q) and (r or s))
True
>>>

num is an argument to the function :confused:

I don't really know what to do with that question because f is never called except via g, and g is never called anywhere

Oh, ok. This is an intro class. I'm new to this. fair point, g is never called aaaannd the code has a syntax error. I'ma mail my professor.

Thank you fellas, you're all gorgeous people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My brain is a random answer generator you see.

I answered true on the quiz and it was marked wrong so I'm not crazy.
Are you 100% sure you copied or transcribed it correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Are you sure you transcribed it correctly here?

Maybe not. Let me transcribe it exactly how it's set:

pre:
Given:

p = true

q = true

r = false

s = false

Determine the answer to the following:

not((p or q) and (r or s))

pre:
def f(color):
     Rect(0,0,100, 100, fill=color)