Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
:sigh: Janitor question since I had to janitate today...

If I have Cron -> Process A -> rsync running, so I can't see the output of Process A or rsync, is there a way I can get that STDOUT/STDERR to my terminal after it has launched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

You can redirect a process that's already running?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

The real answer is we need a more mature logging framework... Probably STDOUT multiplexed to a file and a database...

The problem was an rsync that was taking too long. Usually it's supposed to be done almost instantly but someone dropped a multi gigabyte file into the sync directory and we took that as one of the servers dying. So we had to kill our main process, slice out the code that it gone hung up on, and run it from the console to stare at it.

So. Ghetto. :downsrim:

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

tee(1)

I've only seen tee work for file descriptors, not completely different output media like e-mail and database. I was thinking more log4j/log4perl.

I find operating a systems group by babysitting e-mails to be an extremely ghetto/inefficient solution.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Depends on the priority of the operators. Usually operators of equality would bind tighter than operators of logic. So... my guess is equivalent, the first one is just being more explicit. It really depends on the language.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

If there's any doubt in your mind whatsoever, always use the more explicit version, the one with parenthesis. One day relying on operator precedence when you're unsure will bite you in the rear end (usually trying to be a :smug: bastard when chaining ANDs and ORs).

Clearly the Perl version is superior :colbert: given the super low precedence and and or.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I've Reddit that Santa uses Oracle and I'm wondering what the schema would be a for his naughty/nice lists, normalized, including gift tracking/delivery, etc.

Plz e-mail the codes, thx.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there a generic name for a system that... Has a model or computes some sort of ideal number/goal... And then as you add/subtract certain constraints, the system adapts and continues to advise or warn you that your constraints make the desired projection improbable...

Expert systems?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

This could apply to any number of spaces like Warcraft specs or poker or more specifically stock portfolios... So if I have a model for the ideal balanced portfolio given no constraints, the system is like fine, do this. But what if we add some parameters like I am unwilling to target large losses, but I want huge returns, and I want to include this in my portfolio because someone gave me a hot tip. So then the computer will go beep bop and spit something else out. Or, it will tell you something like asking for a low-risk high-yield simulation is like 3% likely to happen.

A recommendation engine?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

You'd be better off scoring an unpaid internship. Asking for money in this kinda economy is rough pieces, especially considering you're inexperienced.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Degrees don't mean poo poo in technology (generally). The proof is all in your experience, plain and simple. But if you don't go through CS classes, chances are you won't learn the things you need to do be a successful programmer. You're more than welcome to prove us wrong, but don't be all talk and no action. Being a good programmer is all about experience and doing actual poo poo.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Everyone in school who doesn't know poo poo about how real life works dreams of working on sexy poo poo. Working on sexy poo poo in a very specific industry like video games and being inexperienced... It's just not looking realistic, at all.

But if you're serious, feel free to channel your burning youth into learning and doing all that's absolutely necessary to making it happen. Or scale it back some.

"I want to be an unpaid web production intern." Much more realistic.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Here's a thread on StackOverflow, how do I deter decompilation of my program?. A handful of answers recommend compiling with full optimizations. My question is... What does that mean? How does that prevent one from decompiling a program? (Of course not literally, just making it harder, right?)

I guess I'm not familiar with what side effects optimizations have to code rather than straight up compiling. :confused:

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I don't know if this wasn't clear, that's not my post. I'm merely asking what the effects of optimization are on compiled code.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, they learn hexadecimal. *eyes you meaningfully*

:cry: Stop decoding me with your eyes, pervert!

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

RussianManiac posted:

How would anybody speak hexadecimal?

It's a mix of beep bop boop and the sound a modem makes. Kchhhhhhhaachhhhh uhhhhchhhshhh REEEYAAWWREEEYAAWW wongkshhhhhh *click*

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

ErIog posted:

I'm concerned that since I was not ever trained to be a programmer(have only dabbled for my entire life until recently) that there are probably things I'm missing.

It is beyond fantastic that you're concerned. You should channel that concern into being proactive about learning newer and better programming techniques. The maintenance programmers after you (including you) will thank you.

ErIog posted:

My biggest question right now is about graceful exception handling. Is there some documentation somewhere that goes through good design philosophy for this stuff? I know the basics like checking inputs to make sure data is in the expected format, but it bothers me that I don't know when I should use exception handling.

I learned this from this forum... "Exceptions should be exceptional." If you're working with validation and you know an error case is going to pop up every so often, that's not an exception, that's something you code for. An exception is like if the abstraction falls from beneath you or memory is corrupted or the disk blows up or something crazy like that. Something exceptional. And then deal with it if possible.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there a term for games that scale with hardware? A lot of old games look dated when played on newer hardware. Is there some sort of technique that helps prevent against this so that visually, a game is always as stunning as can be?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Which CMS? They usually have instructions, not really sure what you're asking. Some providers even have one click installs, might wanna double check that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I sort of understand the motivation for a String Builder class, but do all languages have one? I'm thinking of PHP, Perl, Python, and Ruby. I know C# and Java do. If the others don't, why? Do they not suffer from the same implementation problem? Or do they not care?