Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In Assembly, I need to print out the string

"The sum of the integers is"

And after hauling rear end doing messed up packed binary addition in Assembly, I can't do this WAAGH HALP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a very general question, more of a discussion topic than a specific question.

In short, I'm looking for a challenge that will help me grow my career. My day job has gotten to be quite routine - client asks for changes, I implement changes, and collect my paycheck. I want to drive towards getting a remote job so I need a way to market myself by programming something available to the public. I've read all the cliche advice "solve a problem you have, something you care about" etc.

One of the pain points in my day job is a dependency on a very not-fun email server: https://www.mailenable.com/. I hate this thing, we only use a miniscule fraction of it's features, and since we're a .NET shop there aren't really any other email servers available. So I was thinking about trying to implement a mail server that speaks IMAP/POP3/SMTP.

But uuuhhhh that seems really loving hard. How the gently caress do you even start something like that. Or alternatively what other things could I do in .NET land for a fresh challenge?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is good advice.

I did something similar years ago where I implemented an HTTP server in python from scratch. At first, it seemed like an insurmountable mountain of difficulty, but then I read the specs and realized its just a matter of sending and receiving text formatted according to the HTTP specs over sockets. Once I grasped that, it was then easy-ish to break the problem down into discrete achievable goals.

Thanks for replying, because I've just spent and hour thinking "gently caress now I gotta actually do this and if I don't everyone will know I'm a punk on the CoC forums". How much time did you spend on your HTTP server? Did you publish it anywhere?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volguus posted:

Here is a SOCKS proxy that i wrote back in 1999 or 2000 or so that i found on my harddrive (yea, my /home folder is that old). As you can see, nothing much to it, just passing bytes around and interpreting them according to the spec.

That's super cool. Its funny to me how your comments describe the protocol and it looks very intimidating (at least to me) but then the implementation below is pretty short. Its a great starting point. Thanks for sharing!

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Wind posted:

Unrelated and just my own personal experience/opinion here, but having come from a strong music/music production background before jumping into programming, I found there to be a ton of crossover in terms of the actual work-flow/process and the abstraction abilities needed. Maybe I'm just weird, but I found it to be almost a seamless transition and there was something about picking up programming that felt strangely familiar when I first started. Iterating over a function until you have it clean and just right is not too different in feel from spending hours cleaning up a snare drum with an EQ, for example.

Anyways, not too derail, but also to help point out to any newbies that I found it surprising how some previous seemingly-unrelated skills bled into programming. But YMMV.

I've noticed the same thing - the faculties for music seem to be closely related to programming. Chad Fowler wrote about it a bit in "The Passionate Programmer" (idk what y'alls opinion of that book is but it helped me a lot when I was starting off out of college).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Destroy all software is free this week and subs are discounted. Has anyone here watched them? Would you recommend watching them?

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/sale