Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

This is really vague/stupid but I'm trying to find an example of some language that has some conceptual way of using the numerators and denominators of fractions to avoid precision errors entirely. Help? Also I mean some sort of code that I can examine, not just a demonstration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

IIS Question:

Say I have two different web services, one at c:\apples, one at c:\bananas, and I want to have them both accessible from the same port. So typing apples.company.com into a web browser will pull up the apples service and the same with bananas and the bananas service.

Can I do this without assigning multiple ports? How about multiple sites?

What If I have one site at c:\fruit and need apples.company.com to point to c:\fruit\apples and bananas.company.com to point to c:\fruit\bananas?

Maybe there's a better thread to ask this in?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Corporate has decided to throw money at me, under the condition that it be spent to educate myself about further language possibilities. If I'm already good with C#/.NET/SQL/JS what other stuff would be good to pick up? What is the popular thing all the kids are hip with these days? I was considering PHP but I hear a lot of horror stories. Same with Ruby.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Any reason why a user@domain login would be required for one site but domain\user for another? Some config somewhere? AD being lovely?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Any reason why a user@domain login would be required for one site but domain\user for another? Some config somewhere? AD being lovely?

So we solved this by keeping the domain in the username. Like if you're setting up a NetworkCredentials in c# you can pass username, password, domain, well we ignored the domain and just used domain\username for the username.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I am currently using an excel sheet to keep track of bugs in a project but it is getting pretty big and the way everything is in a table is getting unmanageable.
Looking for a piece of note entry software that meets these conditions.
- Free
- Able the view the list of entries, ordered based on status, date added/modified, etc.
- Automatically assigns numbers or IDs to the entries (optional)
- Image attachment (optional)
- Would be nice to be able to customize what data is needed for each entry but also optional.
The closest thing I've found is JIRA but I don't want to pay for it or set it up on a local server. I will be the only user, and the more simple/lightweight the better. The goal is something that I open in a browser and either a. type some bugs I found into notes to fix later or b. peruse the list of notes for things to fix now.
Please give me your best suggestions!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Absolutely forever. Its for a personal project. If I ever do end up collaborating with someone, I would be willing to shell out for something like JIRA.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Doghouse posted:

I think you can do that all in bitbucket iirc

Thanks for this, bitbucket is doing great.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Our documentation is poo. It's files in sharepoint.
We're looking at new options and I wanted to see what all your favorite documentation sites are?
Best case scenario is a wiki-like thing where stuff can be linked around and have version & author history.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

lifg posted:

If you're using Jira, you may as well use Confluence for documentation; they work well together.

But who's the documentation for? End users? Developers? Managers? External API developers?

We are no longer using Jira. We're using Azure DevOps, but, this documentation is intended for end users. We're not open source so exposing the DevOps wiki isn't an option AFAIK

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I had a bunch of unsaved editors in Visual Studio Code and just left them unsaved because every time I re-opened the program it would re-open them. It got updated to a new version and now all the unsaved editors are gone. Any way to get them back?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

this wasnt anything super important, just chicken scratch ive accumulated over the months. just wondering if vscode maybe saves those "unsaved" editors somewhere. it must, if it can get them back after a restart, but I'm willing to accept that a version upgrade wiped out wherever they were.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

its still better than JSON

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Which programming language is most closely associated with satan?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

repsnake posted:

So my question is that if I worked on C# in my spare time, what kind of useful things (not unity) could I do in say, a year?

There's money to be made in porting .NET Framework stuff to .NET Core, and also in expanding previously Windows-only code to multi-platform support.
As a more simple straightforward proof-of-concept / resume padding type of thing, all sorts of Azure services have free/cheap pricing tiers you can build fun stuff with. Embedding based searches in AOAI, OCR tech using Document Intelligence, etc. Pretty much everywhere you go will have something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

triggering my libs with dangerous invocations