Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Nifty posted:

Is there a way to view the code or purpose of a .cmd file

Open a text editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm starting a computer science course later this year and I was wondering, since I am wet behind the ears on programming, what stuff I could read up on to begin with?

A list of other general stuff related to the course would be swell.
^^what those guys said for getting better with programming.

If you want a leg up on your course, it probably wouldn't hurt to read up on a few sorting algorithms. Try quick sort and bogo sort and please skip bubble sort.

vvv If you want real-time, free is mutually exclusive to good. Actually free+good basically doesn't exist for market data at all..

leper khan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 29, 2012

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

soapydishwater posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone, it really helps (even Bognar's "word vomit"). That part about the interface driving the logic from Nielsm made a lot of what I already know click into place. To narrow the scope, by the way, I was mostly taking about a desktop, GUI sort of application, since I've been wanting to write my own image editor for a while- but like I said, I wasn't sure where to start. I'm sure there's more specific stuff that applies to image editors, but I can probably figure it out myself.

Start with pen and paper. This may sound strange, but it will lead to better results faster than everything else. At least it has in my experience.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Snak posted:

So basically all my problems with this entire project are caused by the way the files are set up. I don't know how to avoid duplicate definitions because, there are supposed to be four files of source code, which can be assembled in different combinations using a makefile. I can't put my includes in just one of the headers because not all combinations use all the source files. This project is a nightmare.

Please tell us more in the horrors thread.

Also I don't understand why you can't have more than four files? Or why it's desirable that including in different orders changes behavior.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for this. I have a feeling that it is a local app that generates html. The software is something similar to the Epic EMR package. The kicker is that I'm 99% sure that all the application is doing is writing my entry to a database table. I know jack poo poo about databases but that means if someone had write access to the database, then they could simplify all of this by creating a script that would write the results directly to the table? This time-sucking project would be completed pretty drat fast if that was the case. As it is, we are having to touch over 1300 medications by hand. :suicide:

Connecting straight to the DB is probably a bad idea. The application could be altering some data you don't notice at which point you've forced the DB into a bad state.

Boot up wireshark; hopefully it's simple http queries.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I like turtles posted:

I'm on a team looking at building an android application, and I'm hoping to get suggestions on an optimal technology stack.

There will be a centralized server application living somewhere like AWS. Users in the field will submit short reports to the server, which will be aggregated and shown to other users of the app - info like Geotag, notes, etc, simple stuff.

We have a current sever application written by some students in flask/mysql that is not ready for a production environment in terms of security, scalability, etc, so we're willing to rewrite completely if needed.

We need to have an application that properly deals with user management, ideally encrypts the data to be sent, and has a robust offline mode for use in limited data connectivity situations. We generally need a system with more security in mind.

I'm a python developer, as my primary language, so if we're able to reasonably stick with flask as a web framework for the server side application that's fine, but I'm not married to it.

I'm initially thinking about changing the server side to use a mongo backend, since we're already just passing json back and forth, bolting on https and flask-security, and letting the app itself worry about dealing with the offline mode, but I'm open to suggestions. Thoughts?

Why not just make sure your data is in 3nf? I doubt that MySQL is your bottleneck, and it isn't clear why mongo would be better.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Fisticuffs posted:

Cool, then I will definitely look into customizing someone else's base into something that can hopefully offer similar quality to ESPN3. Thanks for this info this is really awesome. Do you know of any open source databases, search engines or basically some site that'll help me locate these programs and start vetting them for my needs or looking into how customize-able they are? Thanks again for the help everyone!

Just to be clear, you're trying to break into a crowded market with absolutely no understanding of the underlying technology. I hope you have a lot of money that you're willing to burn.

If you're really looking into this, it might be better to read the RFCs on streaming web content before looking for half fleshed out services.

If you want something minimal though, you can probably just host full videos and play them on a site with an html5 player. Live-transcoding content can probably be added later.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Kiryen posted:

Thanks!

Only thing I would say in reply is that I have to use the "using namespace std" because I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio since it came free with the book. I know there's more popular tools out there but I haven't really gotten into any of them yet.

You can prepend std:: to anything you're using from std.
std::string, etc.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a text file with lines of data. I want a script that will enter the first line into a text box on a website, hit enter, wait 5 seconds, enter the second line, wait, etc.

What's the best way going about this, and how would I learn to code such a thing? I know basic C++ but am unsure what the best option is.

I've done similar things in C#; it's pretty simple, just look up the API for emulating mouse/keyboard events on the MSDN. You can "type" by passing strings, etc.

Depending on what you're actually doing, it may make more sense to just use curl to directly send web requests though.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Erlang uses =< and >=

I think they're inherited from prolog.

(I use neither of these languages so someone's free to tell me how wrong I am.)

They're inherited from mathematics. :smugbert:

But yes, prolog does that too.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

I was involved with a (much smaller that wow) mmo a few years back, and I'm pretty sure it was some flavor of SQL. The whole game state is loaded on startup and kept in memory, so it's not like you have to be constantly pulling and pushing into the db.

The MMOs I've worked on all used MSSQL. They weren't at WoW's scale, but there's nothing wrong with RDBMS. Especially when you know the form data should have (as with most problems in games).

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

What are your thoughts of using Aerospike for a database vs Cassandra or MongoDB? Aerospike claims to beat them both on all fronts, but I'm afraid they are desperately feeding me propaganda.

If you're reading their marketing material instead of third party analysis on real data then you're being fed propaganda.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

baquerd posted:

Also, don't correct them, they're not going to understand and will take back to the hiring manager that you didn't have a firm grasp on rational databases.

It's also indicative of the type of place where there's an incompetent in a position of minor authority that will "correct" valid terms with whatever nonsense lives in their broken mind.

Guaranteed HR isn't arguing semantics of terms if an engineer tells them it's something other than what they were saying previously. People in recruitment are shockingly good at parroting.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

it is posted:

I wanna write something to scrape manta.com (a directory of local businesses) for work. I started but my rough draft got sniffed out by their security. The site is clearly designed to be crawled, but what are some best practices to make sure I can get the information I'm looking for without getting in trouble?

It depends? Easiest thing to do is ask for their data (they won't give it to you).

Failing that, you can write your crawler to distribute scraping tasks to multiple machines and make sure any given machine doesn't make calls extremely quickly or at precise intervals. Eg, use a bot net.

I don't know what "getting into trouble" means to you. If you don't want to get your bot shut down, try to mimic human actions. If you are worried from a legal/ethical standpoint, maybe don't do a thing.

Basically don't piss off their CJ's and even if they catch you they may not care enough to bother dealing with you. But if you interfere with the operation of their site by DOSing them, they'll very likely blacklist you.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mathematicus posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for advice on creating a LIMS system.

Has anyone modified and used a free, open source LIMS system? If so, any thoughts on the one you used, or ones you wish you had used?
Has anyone ever written a LIMS system from scratch? Any thoughts on what platforms are best or worst for doing so?

My boss won't come out and say it, but he has determined that we must write a new LIMS from scratch, and that, logically, it can only be in Python/Django. I'm not necessarily opposed to that in principle, but I don't know Python/Django, and if I have to learn a new platform anyway, we might as well pick one that's best for the task. I feel like we should at least consider something known more for performance than Django or Rails, in case we end up wanting to support lots of users or large data sets or whatever, but I don't know anything about LIMSes or the relative merits of web frameworks, so I thought I'd ask here before I spout off about it in a meeting.

I'd also like to consider freely available open source LIMS, at least to use as a starting point. Having the schema defined and some basic structure in place could save us a lot of time.

What does LIMS stand for?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
This sounds like the type of thing that will be easier, cheaper, and more functional to license. Why not just use the best off the shelf one?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Humble Bundle is offering a book bundle of coding texts, and I've always wanted to pick up some coding skills (especially in my new job of typing numbers into spreadsheets) but never had a good guide to walk me through stuff. Anything worthwhile here?

The best books listed (namely learn you some erlang) are free on the web. R is probably the most relevant topic for you I see there?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

rt4 posted:

There's a bunch of books in existence on modeling problem domains in the course of designing object oriented software. Does the same sort of reading material exist for functional programming? All the stuff I can find is about languages or algorithms. This seems to leave a very large hole when it comes to building usable software.

It's all just algorithms though..? For erlang there's a bunch of books on structuring things in OTP containers I guess.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

I guessed underscore and google tells me I'm right. It's not anything special in lua, just a convention.

Edit: Beaten!

It's a special thing in Erlang. :eng101:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jsor posted:

Ugh, this is surprisingly difficult to actually do. I have a few dozen graphs, stored as PNGs with identical dimensions. I need to print all of them to bring to a meeting. At first, I figured I'd just use LaTeX, write a quick python script to make an \includegraphics for each, and be done. No, "Too Many Unprocessed Floats". Every attempt to easily fix this has failed.

Is there any decent way to script this? Ideally in a way that can try to fit 4-6 at a time on a landscape page. I'm on Linux, but can boot into Windows if I need to. It doesn't have to be LaTeX, that was just my first attempt. I even tried dragging it into LibreOffice, but apparent it won't batch import. Google Docs will, but I have to resize them manually (they each take up a whole page and run off the side of the page). I'm going to have more pictures in the future so having a script I can just run to generate some printable document every time I need to redo this would help a lot. I really don't want to have to do manual tweaking.

Edit: I can, of course, drag out an image and png library and do this poo poo effectively manually, but I'm really trying to avoid that.

Imagemagick to chain them together then print the png at whatever scale fits the printer?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Guy Innagorillasuit posted:

Can anyone recommend a text editor/IDE to me? I'm writing Nessus audits and need a little help keeping my syntax straight. I'm looking for the following:

1. The ability to write/configure custom syntax highlighting.
2. Highlights/matches open/close tags - while the syntax is fairly XML-like, the opening and closing tags aren't just the same thing with a backslash in the closer, <condition type: "or"> is closed by </condition>
3. Runs on OS X or Windows
4. Free-ish (for use at work)

The real answer would be to use a real configuration management tool, but for now, I'll settle for compliance auditing. I've looked at just doing it in Vim, but it doesn't look like it can pair up tags for me.

Vim handles xml tags natively. I typed up a thing in that syntax and all the verb motion stuff seemed to work; cit and so forth. It's also rainbow colored to hell, so I'm pretty sure that's doing what you would want too.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jsor posted:

I was looking over one of my old wrappers, and I'm wondering how you all would handle something. The library I'm wrapping only has one way to load or save a type: calling a function with a string pointing to a file destination. However, I want my type to be serializable using the language's serialization feature.

I accomplished this by:

1. Giving the library a path to a temporary file (the name is generated with a temp file library, but could use any method for making a quick temp file)
2. Loading the file from my wrapper as a glob of bytes
3. Serializing that (and any other metadata I need) with the provided encoder
4. Deleting the temp file

Loading is then basically doing this in reverse, writing the glob of bytes to a temp file, giving that path to the library, and deleting the temp file.

This works, and is probably the "obvious" workaround, but I don't know if there's a better way to do it.

You almost certainly don't need to write a file, the ease of doing so depends on the language you're using and if you have source access to the underlying type.

What you have is a straightforward workaround for a seemingly bad API. It sounds like the simplest alternative is a memcpy, but I can't know that there aren't hidden types allocated that you would probably need to replicate as well.

e:
You may want to look into how your language handles reflection.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 13, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jsor posted:

Yeah, the problem is that while I have access to the exposed types, the thing is a snake's nest of pointers to structs to pointers (some of which may be null, or irrelevant). Deep copies of the underlying objects are non-trivial.

If you have write access to the exposed types, you could easily add deep copy functions to every viper in the pit.

If there weren't a really strong need for it, I'd probably just :effort:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you were writing a little internal web app that had to (sigh) fetch its data by using a proprietary app accessed only through ssh, what FOSS glue would you use to allow your web app to drive your ssh session?

I spent the last week using my spare time at work hacking on an Expect script. I don't like TCL.

I would probably set up an expect script or the like to run through cron and dump data to a db? Having a web session actually drive ssh sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you did need to do that, I'd probably set up predefined tasks or something.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Minorkos posted:

hi I've recently started studying computer sciences after bumbling around in humanities for a couple of years. I did some research and it turns out that this degree will be largely worthless as well unless I really put some effort into learning programming and stuff at home as well. we've done a bit of programming in C# at my college already but it's all been extremely basic and easy stuff, and I want to really learn a lot of stuff fast. seeing as I'm already in over my head, what would you recommend for a person such as myself? I'd like to do something that starts out somewhat easy but can be built upon from there. I was thinking of making some dumb project in Unity or something like that, but I don't know if that's a silly plan. Maybe go through some C# tutorials? i don't know

edit: oops I missed the FAQ. I guess I'll mess around with python?

other than that, I'm still kinda interested in Unity. would you guys recommend it for someone who doesn't know what they're doing? Or should I sink time into other stuff before I bother with it?

Unity is fine, but be sure to stick to a project that seems far too simple to start with. Minesweeper/Tetris/etc. You'll find a number of people with a similar background to yours in the various game dev threads, but many have strong technical backgrounds as well. Those threads are also generally open to people starting out.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Stinky_Pete posted:

you mean template classes?

Generic programming.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

I work for a marketing agency that creates interactive experiences and sales galleries and have a question about time/pricing. have a client asking for a ballpark timeframe/cost, for something we & they know we'd need to hire a freelancer for.

We pitched an interactive model of a 10 block by 10 block area of proposed real estate which would be viewable on a minority report style piece of glass, controlled by hand gestures in unity. spinning, 3 stages of zoom, pulling up information when you select a property. All that is fine, and we can handle that in house.
The issue is they want it to pull information live from an already existing database as they are worried about it ever being even slightly out of date. They have a database of all the properties within the area and all relevant bits of information (mostly text, some images) and we'd need our unity app to hook into it. Our unity knowledge is limited to basic interactivity with static information so this is a total unknown to us.

Is this a big job? from what I understand we'd need to set up something like smartfox server and have a bunch of scripts and code written so that can act as the middleman between unity and the real estate database. Then also making sure unity can interpret the data properly and bug check etc.
What kind of timeframe would a freelancer be looking at for this, and what level of expertise would it take? (ie daily rate)

Tell your client to provide an API to their database and you're basically done? Smart fox is probably the wrong tool due to both cost and complexity. All you need is a web API with preconfigured queries into the database. If you don't have DB experience in house, you may just want to ask your client for the API, unless you want to get stuck with support contracts you'll continuously feed to random people.

It shouldn't be terribly complicated, but I also don't know what kind of nightmare their schema is. I would expect the contract for that bit to be less than a month at whatever mid level dba's charge in your area. After the API is up, you can just pull things down using unity's WWW class.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

OK update on that stupid text conversion. I'm having trouble grabbing these weird characters. I'll open in wordpad and notepad and sometimes they are different, so what I copy into the code does not work when finding and replacing. Πis killing me right now. Is there a way I can figure out what it actually is? like I copied some ' and it shows up as STX when copying to editor and it works but Πshows up as Πand does not get replaced.

idgi

Read the file raw, tokenize on whatever, format in whatever format from your tokenized input.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

The day where I don't wonder if I'm writing a Daily WTF is the day it's time to find a new career

I stopped wondering and started accepting years ago.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

csammis posted:

Those methods are all about foreground-background subtraction which requires learning or being told what is "background" and what isn't. If you can assume that everything in the foreground that you care about is definitely moving in every set of images you analyze, then this may work for you. If you don't know (or can't determine) what "background" means in your image set then you may want to look into object tracking. In OpenCV this involves selecting a set of points, usually by a feature detection algorithm like FAST, and running it through one of these methods.

Video analysis is the bulk of my work right now so feel free to ask questions jackdonkey!

Are there any libraries other than kinect for grabbing 3d pose information for humans out of an rgbd image? Looked around but couldn't find anything. If not, a short reading list would be appreciated if you're familiar with the domain.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

csammis posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of that area. The data I work with is meh-quality IP camera-style video streams. I wish I had depth information to work with as an additional data stream but I've been told it's "not feasible" to bolt Kinects on top of our cameras :v:

As for a reading list: I've never read any books on the topic. Most of my knowledge has come from OpenCV documentation and reading papers on whatever topics I have questions about. The PDFs I have right now are:

"Performance Metrics for Image Contrast" by Tripathi et al. I use an image contrast metric as a heuristic to determine the threshold I should pass in to feature detection. In an image with overall low contrast the feature detector has to be more sensitive because there are fewer contrasting regions to identify.

"A No Reference Objective Color Image Sharpness Metric" by Maalouf and Larabi. Same idea as the image contrast, plus I want to be able to report on objective metrics for image quality because the "eyeball test" really sucks for doing data-driven development.

"Detecting and Tracking Moving Objects in Video Sequences Using Moving Edge Features" by Karamiani et al.

"An Adaptive Optical Flow Technique for Person Tracking Systems" by Denman et al.

"A Contour-Based Moving Object and Tracking" by Yokoyama and Poggio.

The OpenCV documentation is fairly good about documenting its sources which is how I found Yokoyama and a couple others. It's also really goddamned useless at documenting how certain parameters affect the results of calculation which is why I had to look up the papers in the first place.

Thanks for the links. I'm trying to track people through a headset but don't have any background in image processing and everything is a bit :psyduck:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

huhu posted:

Curious what everyone listens to when they code. My typical stuff is either classical, EDM, or video game soundtracks but I'm starting to get bored of all three. Any suggestions for Spotify playlists or genres to checkout?

Pouring coffee, mechanical typing, and persistent air conditioning.
Occasionally other people's conversations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Peristalsis posted:

You forgot your office-mate's mouth-breathing, buzzing fluorescent light bulbs, and loud conference calls from your boss in the next office (who never shuts his door, not that it matters, because every noise leaches through the walls anyway).

It's like you totally get me. Except I'm the mouth breather occasionally barking at my monitor.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ok, new question. I am trying to create a function that will take the results of 4 check boxes and, depending on which are marked, define a variable as a number. The number will be different depending on which boxes are checked. More than one can be checked at a time. Is there some way to do this without a huge block of if..then statements?

Sure, decompose the math behind each bool and then directly formulate the thing. Or use them as flags into a lookup table.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Looking over my oldest questions on Stack Overflow this morning. I started asking questions on there within months of the site opening in 2008 and it's funny how wet behind the ears I was

Funnily enough one of my highest rated questions is one of those newbie questions from 8 years ago and it still continually racks up votes.

I find myself not asking questions on there nowadays because my questions are usually a little more...specialized? I dunno how to describe the nature of the questions exactly but once I started asking questions that would get zero answers I kind of stopped trying to even ask.

I guess my question is: does this mirror anyone else's experience or did I just get bad at asking questions?

stack overflow is pretty bad for anything that reasonable documentation couldn't answer trivially. forums and user groups have been much better for less trivial or more specialized things in my experience.

though the private clones of it some middleware providers have can be good for questions on their middleware.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

What is a good example of a simple CPU to use if you want to experiment with writing an emulator or assembler or something?

i hear chip8 is popular for doing some of that. there's a thread for it somewhere.

anything from an 80s console was relatively simple, but still might be more complex than what you're looking for. e.g. 6502 or a z80.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Massive oversimplification, but in c# whenever you pass a non-primitive value to a function, you're essentially passing a pointer (the location of the item in memory rather than creating a copy). While c# assumes the pointering, in c++ you have to explicitly declare it.

:eng101:
that's true for 'class'es, but 'struct's are value types in c#

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

<.*(?!>).*< I think.

you can't do paren matching with a regular expression

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jsor posted:

Can't you with the weird not-technically-regular backtracking PERL flavor?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
anyone familiar with the windows device portal api (specifically for hololens) or why it would return 429 on any POST requests i make?