Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Let's not talk about what version of gcc the Windows Haskell installer will drop on you either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'd sooner take a clean mysqldump and bring that into SQLite so it can be just as portable as any excel file. Then, again, you can use whatever language you want as long as it has a mysql driver.

Minimum chance for them to gently caress up the export, too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I use ST3 on the daily and have never seen lorem ipsum come up in completion. Just tried with a few different syntaxes and a blank new file and it doesn't come up. What syntax do you have set? You sure it's not some installed package?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Type L then press CTRL+Space

Nope, nothing. Am on Linux though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Type L then press CTRL+Space
Nope, nothing. Am on Linux though.

Remembered to check at home: Yep, Windows only it seems.

It even newlines it at 80 columns. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Websockets son.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Maybe if you catch the handshake and upgrade, but if he's just watching GET/POST it won't see it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Is it uncouth or rude or frowned upon to fork a project if the developer refuses basic changes they don't apparently understand?

I can elaborate or even go so far as to name and shame. I've been ghosted on the discussion for five days now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's MIT licensed. I fully expect a lack of understanding of how that works as well.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They're decent to talk to, but they don't know when they're outside their usual territory or dealing with someone who might know more or better than them.

I just really wanted to develop games instead of develop the engine. Rust is still in need of a decent one, and it turns out that the FOSS coders who actually want to develop game engines never actually try developing any games on those engines to find out what a useless clusterfuck they've created. I'd figure the feedback is just too narrow-banded to cover actual use and being able to render a static object in several examples is a game engine, right?

There's a point where you realize they're throwing buzzwords like 'code smell' and 'antipattern' at you but clearly don't understand the difference between concurrency and parallelism and probably do think they wrote threads instead of just closures. I'm not gonna name and shame, and I'll definitely also not suggest that the discussion might be found on github where I happen to use the same name.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Fine, it's in motion. I understand his code well enough to make it do what I want now so I might as well extend that to the community. This was all kinda prompted by finding that he expected the rendering context to have full ownership of all mutable things which is, to put it gently, hilariously unviable.

Judge for yourselves then. Five days was from going dark on it after being dismissive, not since proposal: https://github.com/asny/three-d/pull/165

It's the 'try one last time to convince you' line followed by absolute nonsensical garbage and not responding at all to refutation that pushed me to this. Talking to him about per-instance texture transforms went great and those got hammered out in two days tops. This slightly more pressing need to restructure a bit so things outside of the main rendering callback could interact with rendered things just got me talked down to without comprehending.

I didn't think there was any particular reason I couldn't do it, I just wanted to think it over a bit more no matter how much spite tends to be my best motivator.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

take boat posted:

fwiw, technical arguments aside

If his technical arguments weren't absolute horseshit I would agree with you. He was pushing other changes and talking to me on twitter just fine. It's only once I closed the issue and stopped bothering that he took on this "oh poor me, just a spare time dev with a donation link spamming my project on every gamedev related rust listing" garbage.

90% of the code is autogenerated by the gl_generator crate, the rest is dodgy as gently caress as witnessed in the horrors thread. Since then I've come to understand it's not even worth fixing.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

At least y'all are way more efficient than him in illustrating how little of my proposal you understood even assuming you read it.

Cherry on top is it's still basic birch rust to know how Rc works but he suddenly "doesn't want to discuss". I was willing to teach and do the whole refactor, but the why and how went completely over his head.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Oh, I'm absolutely being a smug dickhead about it at this point after getting deeper into that whole crate of worms. If I was wrong about anything besides open source politics and politeness, I'd actually like to hear about it.

Just the same, it's not my business to fix someone's poo poo if they don't want it fixed, even when I give them the complete implementation in working order up front. As leper khan covered: I don't owe him anything either. I closed my issue and moved on and I'm sorry if that hurt his feelings.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Imagine being rude to someone who makes a free thing you find useful

It was and is fundamentally broken, like 'unable to update the position of a model from any code outside the rendering callback' broken. That's like ... a thing you do in game engines, right?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Don't forget the jquery include. It's a stretch to call it 'just javascript' at that point.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Volmarias posted:

As someone who used to write ye olde jovascrypte, there's absolutely nothing interesting jQuery does he, unless that's your point in which case whoosh.

Yeah, that, sorta. jQuery is overkill here if not plainly bloat, and this code doesn't work without it, and including it might not be obvious to someone asking about this. I meant it as a direct caveat for the posted code. It's trivial without jq, but still different enough to matter.

There is nothing that rustles my jimmies like early programming courses teaching with jQuery.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Every ORM I've interacted with I end up falling back to just preparing SQL statements and plugging stuff in, especially if I need multiple reads and writes in a proper transaction to potentially roll back.

Protocol7 posted:

I think SQLAlchemy in particular has one oddity where if you try to count from a table, it does a SELECT * FROM instead of something like SELECT 1 FROM which causes some performance issues as the target table increases in size and complexity.

That will depend on the server actually. MariaDB doesn't care, for instance, and because it's the default in some/most distros it's probably not even a common problem.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

the real problem here is a gamer unable to cope with item durability

To be fair, it looks like a pretty neat game that might go way too hard on stuff breaking at inopportune moments or just too quickly or completely. A wood axe just goes dull, it does not poof into the aether after sixty swings.

The example given is that a plastic shopping bag idly degrades into nothing after six days, which is just super dumb.

Someone in the reviews mentions this game saves these database xmls to temporary internet files because it's just a flash game, and it produces multiple gigs of them, which is a fun consideration for parsing all of them to replace these durability values. Makes sense when it's >80% formatting because, lol and lmao, XML.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2022

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

multiple gigs of [xml]

I just want to reiterate this because now it's even more fun a challenge.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

You probably want to do fDegradePerUse too, and then we'll discover vDegradeTreasureIDs means there are items that can only be gotten from degradation and that's how they implement stuff like cracking a coconut (i.e. degrade in 1 use, produce coconut halves).

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I definitely overthought the complication.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

just programs that compile to programs that compile to programs all the way down

Don't forget the program written in python that JIT compiles python to run faster, and it is also written in python and compiles itself.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

nielsm posted:

If you wanted to make that algorithm actually performant, the way to do it would be to find the index of the first non-even element and then slice the list on that element.

In a list below a certain size most implementations just do linear search anyway, so there shouldn't even be a performance difference.

for is also just overhead. This does fine:

code:
while (lst[0]%2 == 0):
    lst.pop()
return lst
No need for iteration at all, though I'm coming in with a clearer stated goal here.

Edit to quiet some internal screaming since posting: Also needs some bounds checking which is a slightly more interesting problem. Store the length and compare in the while expression too, which also covers the zero case.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 2, 2023

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've just been in rust IntMap mindset too long I guess. I wrote that about an hour before the rest of the post and only got back to it later.

Do python lists reallocate/shuffle on just a pop? I thought they were doubly linked and it was basically free.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2023

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

More primitive than I realized, It's really just a vec. List comprehension always flew over my head in skool so may have hyped them up.

Still, it should just be deleting and shifting pointers, cache-friendly stuff, and gc cleans up later. Scratching my head as to how that could ever be too slow.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah I see it now, even outside of python. It's a problem in isolation still, a homework problem, when there would generally be a better solution in upstream implementation. Use a data structure that trivializes what's needed instead of trying to optimize a primitive to do the same.

Also apparently for loops are universally faster than while in python. I'm spoiled by good compilers.

Got me on a fun tangent of vecs with padded allocation on both ends and a floating zero index, and now resizing strategy. Not a new idea I guess

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Deque wouldn't have the random access, hence VecDeque is a thing too. All still a little more complex than double padding.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bears repeating from the php thread: Manually escaping strings is caveman poo poo.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

KillHour posted:

Edit: That's a lie. What I would actually do is refuse to fix it and claim that the bug is blocking your stuff from working and that it needs to be fixed upstream. You've already set the expectation of being willing to sit there and hand-correct it by now though, so your best option is probably the python script. What you're trying to do is definitely the sort of simple use case that I would expect a beginner to write as their first real program. Being "not good at that kind of thing" is where we all start out and you only get better by doing that kind of thing repeatedly :).

100% this, but with more conviction: Hand-editing json was and is strictly verboten in my world. It's too easy to break, too easy to have some hidden workflow that goes entirely missed by other devs, too easy to have someone posting sensitive internal data to some third party online json checker website that does who-knows with it on the side, and too easy to become someone's entire job.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I think the easiest point to make is that this certainly already exists and the difficulty of getting others involved is perfectly reflected in not having found it already.

Like: Have you looked? Really honestly searched high and low? Reddit? Mastodon? Discord? I know this is asking proof of a negative but there should at least be remains of one to start from.

Anyway: Discord. What you're asking for is just a Discord server.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Partially retracting my prior post after reading twice. You aren't looking for specific hobby groups but instead wanting to make a tool for localizing and connecting hobby groups?

The 1-on-1 thing threw me. You're being vague about reinventing meetup.com

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Basically a hobby-based friend finder. I've looked into stuff like meetup or bumble's friend finder but... they all kinda suck rear end. I want someone to be able to search "Model trains + Chicago" and see every user in Chicago that has "model trains" as an interest - then have the ability to message/connect with those people. Or "Pottery + Los Angeles" etc etc.

Physical locality is too narrow in this era. It's taken as a bonus to being in larger groups for a given hobby. As with subreddits, regional localities are just another topic on the pile. That's why Discord springs to mind, because being able to talk about model trains with anybody at all beats out the slim chance for find somebody within n miles.

Meetup sucks rear end because they have to keep things clamped down to prevent abuse. Targeted harassment, stalking, general personal safety concerns.

"How" is largely trivial and irrelevant in this design space. A minority of people joining your platform and being total shitters can tank the whole thing. That's the hard part, where platforms like Discord have put in serious work for safety and moderation tooling.

I'm not even that paranoid about putting personal identity online, but ask me to tie LGBTQ alignment to what city I live in and I am gone.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah. It sucks out there and that post seems gloomy. I still think it's a fair gripe and warning that a project of this scope involves personally identifying information that should not be handled trivially. Learning how to make the site is fine, learning why not to make the site is also fine.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's marked as a community server. Don't think it's supposed to expire.

https://discord.gg/MdKPmbTH

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 10, 2023

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The order of the hand matters too, as the playing cards can have order dependent modifiers. Balatro actually needs to explain this better, that cards can be arranged in hand to affect the order played, because it certainly doesn't automatically reorder for anything optimal.

Which suggests to me that it is a big ball of procedural twine for how it only shows base chips and mult until the hand actually plays.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My gripe isn't about the lack of calculation but the lack of clarity on the order of play, which was mentioned earlier but just about jokers.

But their run seeding is complete enough to tell you the hands definitely aren't non-deterministic.

Yes, of course not precalculating the result is a gameplay aspect. I've had more coffee and remembered that base chips and mult is another variable that gets scaled separately too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That second question is super fishy. These feel like they were written via LLM and consistently wrong answers would track.

Like, what is the double slash divide? Is that actually a thing or just an extraneous escape character being glossed over by everyone?

Why the unbulleted multiple choice in a weird order? Textual shakeup answers are usually the last one. The second question does the same and what is this random 'Group of answers choices' line?

Can you show us more from this teacher?

Six edit pileup: Didn't even notice the third one.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

pre:
number = int( input ("Enter a value greater than 0"))
product = 0
while (number >=0):
     for x in range (1, 3):
          product = number * x + product
     number = int( input ("Enter a value greater than 0"))
print (product)

I really hope the teacher is just incompetent instead of this being LLM poo poo, because it 1000% smells like LLM poo poo and you deserve way better.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Thanks. Never seen it before. Does it show up in any other language?

As weird as teaching trivialities of triple-equals otherwise. Festivus will have to clarify if that was actually taught as a concept or just came out of nowhere too. I was taught in 2.7 entirely despite 3 being out for years.