Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FigBug
Apr 27, 2002

Lemon Party - Lest we Forget

Avenging Dentist posted:

What's the easiest way to go about making a toolbar button for the Windows Explorer? Creating a new toolbar is also an option, but probably overkill since I only want to add a single button.

I don't think you can add a single button, you'll need to make a toolbar with only one button.

Tutorial here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/shell/dotnetbandobjects.aspx

I've never created a toolbar, but every other shell extension I've done has been a world of pain.

You program will run in explorer's process space, you'll probably want to shut down explorer and then run it from your debugger.

To shut down explorer:

* On XP, or classic menu in Vista: Click on the Start button -> shut down -> and then on the "Shutdown Windows" dialog box, hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift and press the Cancel button.
* On Vista: Click on the Start button -> hold down Ctrl+Shift -> right click on either an empty area on the menu or on the power buttons -> pick the menu option "Exit Explorer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FigBug
Apr 27, 2002

Lemon Party - Lest we Forget

JoeNotCharles posted:

What do you mean "at least"? An instant segfault is the best kind of error to have, because it's immediately obvious that something's wrong and it's easy to find out exactly where the error happened.

He means you should pass in stdin, not 0.

code:
while (fgets(foo,100,stdin) != NULL) {