Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone know how I can something similar to this but instead of a single sequential process, spawn multiple processes/threads?

code:
#! /usr/local/bin/tcsh -fb

foreach some_file ( `find . -type f -name \*.poo` )
    echo $some_file
    convert $some_file $some_file:r.pee
end
Doesn't have to be tcsh.

xargs with -P may also work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Master_Odin posted:

I would, but I have no idea what I'd be looking at here. I say caches because that was the last topic introduced (learning about direct-mapping, full associate, set associative. point of L1 and L2. etc.) and have not in any way covered compiler stuff.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm not going to worry about this anymore.

Being able to read assembly dumps is a skill you should pick up sooner or later.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Sidpret posted:

I need a pointer on something cause I'm really not even sure what to google for. I want to download a large number of files from a site. Usually I would just wget but the files I need are queried by the site for download, so there aren't URLs.

Here's an example of a query from the site that fetches a particular document:

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=200910&RIN=1904-AA92&operation=OPERATION_EXPORT_XML

I know python and am decent with the bash terminal so those are my tools. I will need to generate thousands of queries and I can handle that part. The part I don't really get is literally just how to request that file in bash or python and have it appear on my desktop. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Why not shell out from bash/python to wget?

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I'm trying to convert a nice C-style math expression like (t*9&t>>4|t*5&t>>7|t*3&t/1024)-1 so that it can be understood correctly by a Smalltalk-esque language with no Order of Operations. I'm sure this can be done with regular expressions, but I'm kind of poo poo at them at the best of times and it's getting late. I know the general sense of things is that parentheses will need to be inserted all over the place, but I can't quite wrap my brain around it.

I also suspect that there are other solutions here—I've read some about Shunting Pierce, but I think that would just take me to RPN (not super helpful).

e: What the correct interpretation of the above equation be (((t*9)&(t>>4))|((t*5)&(t>>7))|((t*3)&(t/1024)))-1 ?

You can't use (normal) regular expressions to correctly parenthesize a context-free language, which arithmetic expressions are.

Edit: Ugh, beaten by new page!

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

the posted:

Bleh. My professor assigned a numerical programming assignment for physics. He lets us use any language, but he decided this time to give us something that required such lengthy computation that using anything besides Fortran and C would be impossible.

Sounds like a good simulation of the real world.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

What type of software has a million or 20 million lines? Not doubting you, I'm just curious.

Web browsers nowadays are in the millions of lines.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Here's a more philosophical question regarding software design. Everybody talks about "simplicity," but I feel like that doesn't entirely represent the value everybody wants. Something that is simple can be very crude. I was trying to find a better word to get to the core of this. In normal language, the best I could really find is "elegant," but that can imply it is delicate or fashionable. After floating around with this, I came across an old Italian word that only recently became popular in English: sprezzatura.

It's traditionally used to define people, originally courtiers, and more recently as ladies/gentlemen, but it sounds more apt. Regardless of language or subdisciplines, I figured the programmers of the thread have an idea of what I'm trying to get at, and if there's a very concise word or words to describe design simplicity.

I don't think "sprezzatura" is the right word. Perhaps you're looking for "parsimony".

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wouldn't that imply cheapness? I didn't think that was regarded as a good term.

There are two definitions. I'm thinking #2 in http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parsimony .

It's worth pointing out that Occam's razor is also known as the "law of parsimony".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

it is posted:

There's no way that doesn't exist already. It's already built in to the font selector in Word; all they'd have to do is port the work they already did to a smaller program

Edit: two seconds on google
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/font-picker/id507086472

There's already a "Font Book" app built into OS X. Does that app add anything more?