Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Splendiferous posted:

I've made some websites but nothing very complex. I'm realizing I will need to hire someone. Any guidance?

So, this is a silly question, but would it be possible to just have someone else do the heavy lifting? For example, having an existing publication fold his newsletter into their journal, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

If I'm trying to write a desktop application, do I make the GUI first or the logic first?

Figure out, in detail, what the UI is going to do then write the underlying model. Add tests to verify it's behavior, then start hooking up the UI.

Then sacrifice a goat to shub niggurath as you throw it all out and do it again

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Have a condition for when your index is zero and use that value instead.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 11, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Ugh, I was never under the impression that I was of more than average intelligence

I can assure you that working in the software industry will very quickly convince you how wrong you are there.

It is not a question of who is the best, it is a question of who is the least worst.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

If there's one thing I can't stand about this thread, it's how everybody thinks they're better than everybody else. Everybody in this thread thinks all their coworkers are dumb pieces of poo poo, but don't have enough self-awareness to realize that all your coworkers are thinking the same exact thing about you.

If you go into work thinking everybody's a loving moron and you're yelling at them for making dumb mistakes and ranting anonymously about them on the internet, you're more the problem than them.

I'm a dumb piece of poo poo and pretty frequently too, but it's simply a matter of degrees at this point.

No one is good. Everyone is just varying degrees of bad. Imposter Syndrome is a thing that working at certain companies can disabuse you of.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 11, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pie Colony posted:

does anyone have any advice for giving a talk? i want to give one about my experience building an interpreter for a language. it would be for a local meetup talk, so it's not like anyone's expecting any serious academic rigor. though, i'd guess about 50% of the people there are intimate with the host language, and about 5% would be with the target language (i'm also not super familiar with either) so the talk would mostly be about what i learned. also it would be my first talk ever.

Figure out what you plan to say, then practice giving your talk in front of a couple of friends a couple of times. Ask for feedback. How it sounds in your head isn't necessarily how it will actually go.

Be prepared for the parts that are super amazing and interesting to be greeted with confused, blank stares, and don't get discouraged when you see it happen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pie Colony posted:

oh yeah, i kinda didn't mention. it would be mostly industry programmers interested in haskell (the host language) or FP in general but probably have <1 year experience with it, i have about ~1 year. the hosting company for the meetup also has free beer, how many should i have before the talk?

For Haskell, let's say 3 beers?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

shrughes posted:

In terms of individual productivity you can't have developers ten times more productive than others, but you can have developers ten times less productive than others.

1x = 10y is the same as 1x/10 = 1y, so I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ephphatha posted:

You shouldn't need find for that, use the -r (--recursive) flag for grep, using --include to limit the search to .faa files (and -e or -P if appropriate for your regex). You should just be able to run:

code:
grep -r --include='.faa' '^>' . | wc -l

That's going to be all lines, not just the first line though, right?

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66352/grep-for-string-in-first-line-of-all-files-in-directory-and-descendants

I suspect that you'll have to actually use find here after all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

it is posted:

Help me convince my coworker that rainbow tables wouldn't be helpful against, say, the password "thereusedtobeagoatundermybeduntiliputinanostrichfarmandnowthereisacyborginstead" because even though every word is in there individually the hash of the password has nothing to do with the hashes of the individual parts.

Even using a rainbow table that targets pass phrases like yours (these do exist), you've got 23 words in there so really you're quite safe due to the likely maximum size that the table would be built against.

Do some math to show the sizes required for a rainbow table that could feasibly crack your phrase, even just made of every word in the English language as pieces of entropy instead of random characters.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 27, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"Just learn to program and make a demo, programming isn't so hard that it's a specialized field that pays six figures and up to people good at it, so spending two weeks to 'learn to program' is no big deal :v:"

Something to note is that your idea may not be feasible, or it might be very hard to do. You might want to talk to an actual developer and see if the idea is even worth pursuing before trying to bankroll it.
A friend of mine me put in touch with a friend of hers who had a Great Idea, but didn't have the domain specific knowledge to do it. So, what happened was he gave me an NDA, then hired me for an hour to investigate his idea and see if it was feasible (it was not, at least with the technology at that time). If it was feasible, he would hire someone to do it for him. I gave him the lowdown on why it wasn't feasible, when to pursue it in the future, and about how difficult it might be then, along with some things to try if he wanted to do it anyway.

If you want, send me a PM, and I'll give you a brief idea of how feasible and how difficult your idea might be, especially since you're thinking of mobile. If it's trivial, you might be able to hire someone to do it for a few thousand bucks.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Instead of beating up your straw man, consider the idiocy of a salary's order of magnitude having anything to do with the difficulty involved in wetting one's feet.

My point is that saying "just learn to program enough to make a demo in two weeks" isn't really realistic advice for most people. I totally agree that if he wants anything to happen he needs more than idea.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 8, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you don't have the degree, you damned well still better know about big O and why nlogn is a better running time than n^2. Learn your data structures, learn WHEN to use them (and WHEN NOT to, don't just use a particular structure because you like it), learn some important algorithms, learn sorting.

The computer science portal on Wikipedia is arguably enough to cover everything you need.

A useful role of thumb I've seen is 4 years of university experience translates to 2 years of work experience. A CS degree can be a good way to get your foot in the door, so to speak.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 17, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Seriously, ask your candidates "can you write a for loop?" and then weep for humanity at the proportion of candidates that can't.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Internet Janitor posted:

Volmarias: Fizzbuzz is pretty much exactly this except disguised as an exercise so they don't just lie and say they understand.

It's actually more; it requires some logic, and knowledge of the % operator.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nielsm posted:

Well no, you can avoid the modulo operator. Just keep two additional counters for "fizz" and "buzz", and manually wrap them when they reach 3 and 5.

Yes, this is true. It's also a telling answer unless you tell the candidate that they can't use modulo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'd say that the interviewer was lucky that they knew the windows command line at all, instead of giving blank stares outright.

Our profession is the worst profession.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

I work with people who've been Windows-specific professionals for 10+ years and can't figure out how to run a thing on the command line :\ To be fair, the regular Windows CLI is awful and not worth using if you can get around it, but :cmon:

E: oh and congrats on the job TheresaJayne and thanks for the nifty trick. I'm glad I've never hosed up badly enough to lose access to ls

At least power shell is making things better apparently :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Newf posted:

Does the act of creating methods that do nothing except call some other method have a name?

code:
class foo
{
 public void fizz() { /* do things */ }
}

class bar
{
 private foo myFoo;

public void barVerb()
 {
  // do things
  fuzz();
  //do things
 }

private void fuzz()
 {
  myFoo.fizz();
 }
}
I'm guessing that this would be considered an anti-pattern? Specifically, there isn't any reason for the fuzz() method to exist, and it could be replaced in the above barVerb() method with a call to myFoo.fizz(), which would remove a layer of indirection for the reader of the code.

In this particular case, yes, it's useless because fuzz is private, so it can't be overridden nor is it visible to other classes.

If it were protected or public, however, it would potentially be good design, for the reasons above.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

Is there a reputable free way to get a ssl cert?

You mean one that isn't self signed? If so, probably not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a complete beginner with programming and I need a little insight on how to tackle a simple work problem. Ideally I'd like to use AutoIt to tackle this although Ithaqua was kind enough to show me a Powershell solution.

I have a text file, of unknown length, composed of AutoIt code. What I want to do is insert Sleep(xxx) between each line of code. It currently looks like this:
code:
Mouseclick 1
Mouseclick 1
Send("foobar")
Mouseclick 1
Mouseclick2
etc...
I'd like it to look like:
code:
Mouseclick 1
Sleep(500)
Mouseclick 1
Sleep(500)
Send("foobar")
Sleep(500)
Mouseclick 1
Sleep(500)
Mouseclick2
etc....
I've learned how to read in a text file, and loop over its contents line by line. I was thinking I could read in a line, copy it to a new file, then write Sleep(xxx) to new file, then read in next line etc... but I'm getting confused with filehandles and file location etc...

Any ideas?

Get a programmer's notepad, like Notepad++, which has find and replace that supports multiple lines. Then, replace every newline with newline Sleep(500) newline. You can copy the newline character by moving your cursor to the end of the line, then holding shift press right. Your cursor should end up on the next line. Ctrl-c, ctrl-v into find/replace fields.

You don't need a script for this :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xeom posted:

Is it common when starting out with programming to spend a lot of time solving little issues, and figuring out better ways to write things? Like I was trying to come up with a algorithm for a calculator now I am second guessing it because I think there might be a better way to do it.

Feels like a lot of back and forth, is this normal?

Yes. Some of this passes with experience, but you'll spend a lot of time having "aha" moments, or learning something new. Part of programming is learning when something is good enough and leaving it alone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blinkz0rz posted:

I was like you, once. Then I learned the pain that comes with trying to parse a data structure without a fixed schema.

Until you surrender to XML you'll never know the joy of only having to write code to handle well structured data.

That's cute, you assume that most XML sent is well formed and sensible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

RegEx has kicked my butt whenever I've looked at it in the past. Not sure why I have such a hard time understanding it but I know I need to get it under my belt.

If you're on windows, pick up The Regex Coach!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Look for positions where QA is explicitly listed as engineers who can script, code, etcetera. I know that Amazon and Google hire on this criteria. Once you get experience that way, it's usually easier to transition to pure dev.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

thegasman2000 posted:

So I am not sure where to ask this but... Would there be any point in a thread to talk about potential projects your dreaming up. I have plenty of ideas for apps and web apps but without sounding them out to a friend who is a programmer by trade, and has experience, I have no idea on their validity, yet he is too busy sometimes and goons have various different experiences. The subforum is hidden so it would be goon only, which should reduce the idea stealing.

There's at least one nice derail earlier in the thread, but the TL;DR is No

- Ideas are a dime a dozen. Your "brilliant" ideas have been thought of 100 times over.
- Developers are constantly bombarded with "good ideas". They don't have time for the ideas they're working on, let alone yours.
- The people bombarding them typically have no skills to contribute aside from "great ideas", but want part of the proceeds.
- Things that sound simple or complex to laymen tend to be really difficult; there's an art to making software that seems simple and effortless, because it takes a lot of thought and effort.

The conclusion is invariably that you should spend some time to learn to program yourself, so that you can get a better idea about your ideas and whether they're worth sharing in the first place.

On the plus side, we can tell you all of this instead of your friend.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

thegasman2000 posted:

I would like to add that your response was WAY nicer than I would have expected bearing in mind you thought I was an "ideas guy" coming up in here. So thanks!

The knives don't come out until someone consistently refuses to get a clue.

I'm glad that you're learning to program. Generally, if you want to know more about a particular subject, do a little research then just ask. I assure you, no one is going to steal your ideas because as with all things in computers someone probably already thought of it in the 70s :ssh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dren posted:

This thread idea sounds more suited to YOSPOS where people can tell you just how lovely and terrible your ideas are and savagely mock you for failing to google for 10 seconds to find the countless previous attempts that litter the internet.

Seriously though, feel free to ask your questions in this thread unless there's one better suited you know about. Just try and do a little research first.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheEffect posted:

That's good information to know, interesting.

Thank you.

See also "joe job". Email is from the age when security was one university admin calling another when a user misbehaved.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

it is posted:

Coworkers who are more familiar with mobile dev than I am are saying that in mobile devices, the GPS register is being constantly updated and the power-intensive thing is asking the GPS for a location which it already has. I was under the impression that the power-intensive thing was populating the GPS register with a new location, and getting that location was akin to accessing a variable. Is that true, that the GPS in your phone is being constantly updated with new values when it's on, and that it's not the power-intensive part of having your GPS switched on?

Your coworkers are so wrong that I don't even understand how they came to this possible conclusion. The expensive part of the gps ON THE BASEBAND, is running the receivers, interpolating the signals, and performing the triangulation for your position. Performing a read against the baseband is as expensive as regular IPC, which you will do for other things, like Bluetooth. The expensive thing in general, however, is keeping the application (NOT radio) processor awake to use the GPS info.

Your GPS receiver is almost certainly unpowered until in active use, and wouldn't be constantly updating your position. Otherwise, why would you ever take time to get a first fix?

Honestly, take one of their phones, turn off location services, put it in airplane mode, power cycle via battery pull, turn it back on, wait 5 minutes, then enable the GPS (but stay in airplane mode) and run the gps via compass or something, and ask why it takes several seconds to get your location. Watch their bluster.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

GPS is also a slow protocol that requires the GPS receiver to be awake and powered the entire time it is listening to the satellites, the application CPU can just sleep through the entire thing.

iOS location services isn't just GPS, it also has the accelerometer, the wifi network, and cellular network to determine location without powering on the GPS radio. It can also estimate your current speed and only poll the GPS when it thinks you've probably moved far enough to satisfy the filter.

Yes, all of this. There is very much going on behind the scenes with modern cellphones and location services.

As slow as GPS is traditionally if you only use the satellites themselves, network connectivity and other sensors make for very quick initial fixes nowadays. The barometer if your phone has one is used to estimate your altitude, which along with your cell/network provided lat/lon gives a great starting point for the triangulation! If you have network connectivity, you can pull the almanac/ephemeris info to know where all the satellites are. This all potentially gives you an accurate first fix mere SECONDS after a cold start, something utterly unheard of ten years ago.

Read the Wikipedia page about GPS, and look at the AOSP sources for the GPS location provider. It's neat stuff!

... ask me about doing awful location things for Samsung.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Tell us about S-Location, friend

This isn't the coding horrors thread. Let's just say that it's mighty strange how carrier mandated preloads might happen to perform LBS much more accurately and quickly than regular apps.

N.B. I quit Samsung for my health 4 years ago or so.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fisticuffs posted:

Okay, I think I am an idiot for not just farming this out to someone that knows what they're doing but...

I want to create a streaming service. Nothing revolutionary. But I think if my device is compatible with desktop and mobile devices and my approach to content producers is solid that there may be a niche for me in that realm. But I can't code for poo poo. I know HTML, not well, and C++... again not well.

Is this too gargantuan and complicated a task for me to begin on my own and seek assistance with later? I need to shoot for the buffering, auto-resolution setting type features that ESPN3 uses as this would be live but slightly less lame than Twitch(only slightly though I am still a goon). Would starting this on my own just create problems for the people that I will almost certainly need to clean it up later or should I crack open some books and try and learn some Ruby or what the gently caress ever?

This is a pretty tall order but not insurmountable. My question is why not use the cornucopia of existing software out there for this? What is special to your implementation that no one else has?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

carry on then posted:

Static methods on their own aren't inherently bad (and a key part of some patterns like the singleton.) It's when you start to get the sense that they are being used in lieu of a bit of planning that would result in something much cleaner that things start to get hacky.

This is the meat of it. Static functions are great and appropriate in a lot of cases; utility functions, for example, generally ought to be static. If you can give us some examples of things you think might be code smells, we might be able to help more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A friend of mine who contracts at a certain government agency sent me the following puzzle:

There are nine tiles. Each edge of each tile has half of a seal of one of the four branches of armed forces, either the top or bottom. The goal is to arrange the tiles in a 3x3 grid where all of the edges match.

While I can probably start to solve this via brute forcing it, that's not very smart. I was hoping that I could get a little help, at least in the form of a push towards a certain math topic or algorithm.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Awesome, thanks. I had assumed that brute force would be too inefficient, but I guess not!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nielsm posted:

Computers are crazy fast.

It's just that so much software today is written poorly and/or uses so huge amounts of data and/or does lots of superfluous UI stuff that everything feels really slow.

(Also, backtracking isn't entirely brute force, since it breaks attempts early when it finds a non-match. This eliminates large parts of the search tree early.)

I understand, I just assumed that the search space was too large for that, since a pure brute force is 4*8*12*...*32*36, which is around 95*10^9. Depth first + Backtracking definitely cuts down on the search space, I just assumed it would still be large.

Edit: I suppose in retrospect 95B isn't that big of a number at this point.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 1, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

I understand, I just assumed that the search space was too large for that, since a pure brute force is 4*8*12*...*32*36, which is around 95*10^9. Depth first + Backtracking definitely cuts down on the search space, I just assumed it would still be large.

Edit: I suppose in retrospect 95B isn't that big of a number at this point.

As a follow up, I finally had the chance to actually do this.

appx. 2340 comparisons to solve :negative:

Thanks all again for the shove in the right direction!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone got a good setup for Git fetching on checkout?

Edit: I guess I can do a post-commit hook to fetch in a template. it works. Any other suggestions?

The Version Control megathread might be a better place to ask, but I'm not really sure what you're asking for. Do you want to perform a git fetch every time you run git checkout? That's kind of strange, especially when you realize that git checkout is overloaded to mean several different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Plorkyeran posted:

The working copy is your local copy of files. Upgrading it to the 1.8 format has no effect on the server.

This. SVN makes a reasonable effort at being backwards compatible. Make a backup if you're nervous, but upgrading your working copy is safe to do, and basically involves the local metadata only.