Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju
Mar 19, 2003

HEINEKEN!?! FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!
I have a client at work that has two mirror sites translated into German and Spanish. All three sites are hosted on the same server. The translated sites are relatively new and since they launched, they've started having submissions to their contact forms that include non-english characters. When the form outputs the submission emails anything not english, say, letters with accents, umlauts or tilde (for spanish characters) they are replaced in the email body with strange approximations and not the correct characters.

And if it matters, the sites are all in ASP classic.

I've never had to deal with anything like this in the past and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've been letting this one slide for a while and people are starting to ask questions.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju
Mar 19, 2003

HEINEKEN!?! FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!

csammis posted:

"Text encoding" is the keyword you'll be looking for, as that's the problem. The users are sending characters to the web server in a character set that your email can't contain, probably because your email is sending as ASCII. You'll have to send the emails using the correct text encoding, whatever that might be. I think it'll be whatever encoding the form's page is being sent in, but I'm not sure. The web development thread folks might know right off the bat.

Thanks, man. That's a start.