Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

carry on then posted:

Not sure why you were talking down to me like I'm a freshman CS student but thanks for the suggestions?

No one's talking down to you, it's just that you asked the sort of question a freshman CS student might ask (which doesn't make it a bad question!). It might help if we had more information about your experience so we could recommend things that are new to you. You could tell us what sort of codebases you've already looked through, what languages you might be looking for, and so on. Like SD said coding isn't like an English curriculum so we won't be able to point you to the Shakespeare or whatever of code.

Comedy option: TAOCP :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Love Stole the Day posted:

Not sure if this has been asked before here, but are there any tips or common tricks/themes to navigating and accquainting yourself with an open source project that you're interested in trying to contribute to? I ask because I was critiqued that my Github repos are all small projects and so the documentation and code bases are not impressive enough to make people want to call back for an interview. So I'm looking around for stuff to try and work on in the hopes that it can help with finding a full-time job.

I don't have a good answer to your question - my answer is "look at open issues and try to solve them" - but who critiqued you for that? An actual hiring manager, a recruiter, a peer reviewer, a not-peer reviewer? It sounds like a very bullshit thing to get called out on.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ButtWolf posted:

If you were gonna run a Traveling Salesman problem using a pi cluster with efficiency in mind, is there any specific language you'd go with, mainly for built in libraries or just speed in general?

Since you're a student and/or just doing this for kicks, get OpenMP installed on that cluster and then use whatever language has bindings for OpenMP. Here's someone who used C++.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I've never heard about it outside the context of Epic, and I worked in and around healthcare EMR vendors for several years. Doesn't mean it's not out there though. I'd be surprised if there weren't ex-Epic employees going around offering consulting services in and about MUMPS.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ufarn posted:

Is there a way to return some version of `ls -s` where the values are relative to 100% rather than MB/GB/B?

"Relative to 100%" doesn't mean anything...do you mean size as a percentage of the size of the largest entry in the listing? So if I have three files 10MB 5MB and 1MB I'd receive a listing like 100% 50% 10% ? `ls` can't do that but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to write a script which can accept a listing and output what you want.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I don’t know all the proper names for settings in VScode but maybe check the working directory setting for your project? It’s probably setting the working directory to the project root when your code is assuming it’s the same as the script that’s executing. iirc Visual Studio has some challenges with that too.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

goodness posted:

I've been trying to come up with a project to do this spring to add to my resume. Initially I was thinking of doing something for measuring parameters and controlling equipment on my aquarium, a software+hardware with a raspberry pi. But it already appears to be a thing (Reef Pi).

Would it be worth it to still do the project as my implementation? This would mainly be for an internship. Its been hard getting my bearings as I switch from chem to CS.

Yes, it’s absolutely worth doing if you show your progress and have any follow through. My Github contains not one but two aquarium controller projects that I halfassedly started in order to learn about microcontrollers and hardware (and Python in the case of the one I was planning around the Pi).

Of course in the end my Neptune Apex works a million times better than anything I could have cobbled together but that’s completely beside the point :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Is there a reason you wouldn't archive them yourself, tagged to associate with released builds, and get crash dumps from the field to correlate with your local copies of the PDB?

e: drat it nielsm and your ninja edit

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Do you have any more of the mapfiles which specify where each of those sections is placed in the binary? Your .rodata might be specified as being placed at 0x34000000 so offsets of symbols listed in the .rodata section would be relative to that address.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Appendix B of that document (page 40) describes the message formats. Looks like the parameters are also described in the documentation of other messages in Appendix A. Does that help?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Thermopyle posted:

I wish. I work from home, so pretty much everything goes on as normal.

I had to transition to working from home and as a hardware toucher, let me tell you how fun it is to talk someone who’s stuck in the office through calibration procedures that I or my boss would normally be doing ourselves.

Learn something new? gently caress me I’m more exhausted at the end of eight hours than I’d be if I were in the office :smith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Dominoes, try asking about this sort of thing in the Learning Electronics Megathread - there are experts there who do this kind of poo poo for a living, and someone may well have experience with the flow sensor you’re using

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

pokeyman posted:

"carry these reams of paper to the office upstairs".

Goons do have a particular talent for carrying printers...

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Less popular tools (languages) have fewer support options when something isn't working right. I don't think that's super controversial.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
My hunch is that shots of just the feeder as background would help the classifier differentiate between “a feeder” and “a feeder with a bird at it” but really just

ultrafilter posted:

Try it and see.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

honestly the whole "running an parser for an interpreted language on a microcontroller" doesn't sound like a super common use case

Counterpoint: MicroPython :negative:

edit: which looks like it might have been rolled by hand :stare:

csammis fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 25, 2021

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

If you'd told me five years ago that people were using a framework like this for embedded, I would've said something uncharitable like "are you smoking crack?" Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Oh no I totally get it. I'm 38, do embedded for a living, I honestly believe and preach that accessibility is good and gatekeeping is bad, and I still wince whenever I look at MicroPython

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I* was on the ISO C++ committee :smug:

* My company was, confusingly and briefly and for no evident reason, and they sent me and one other employee to a committee meeting in Seattle. Then we hosted another committee meeting for which I was one of the people organizing.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

General_Failure posted:

Besides complexity, not much I guess. Serious question though. Besides printing text, how hard is it to get visual feedback from a notebook?

What kind of visual feedback? I use Plotly and Bokeh to chart Pandas data inline in my Jupyter notebooks, both of those toolkits make the process quite easy and both are decently well documented.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Gin_Rummy posted:

Wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a method in Python with which I could take a string of, lets say 80 characters (complete words/sentences), and break it into a list/array where each index is a new line... but the kicker is I don't want to throw to a new line if I am not pulling an entire word.

It sounds like you want to make a function that implements a word wrap at n characters. What’s the definition of an “entire word,” like does hyphenation or multiple language support matter to your use case?

quote:

Split seems like it would do some of what I want to do (keeping words together), and I found something on StackOverflow that would do the other half (split after a certain character count)... but I am not sure of a way to bridge the two.

Split may be annoying when it comes time to reconstruct whatever token you split on. I think generally you’ll want to start by taking a substring of n characters from the start of the source string. Determine if the end of the substring is in the middle of a “word” (likely) and if so backtrack to the nearest word boundary and put whatever’s left as its own line. Start your next substring of length n at the index in the source string where you ended up splitting the last one.

quote:

Someone pointed me towards regular expressions, but I'm not sure I fully understand what is going on by using something like that.

I’m not sure this person has your best interest at heart, but maybe they meant use a regular expression to find a word boundary?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I can't believe I'm the OP of this thread

fake edit: and the last two iterations of it too. I genuinely did not remember that there used to be frequent reboots of this thread :discourse:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Megathreads used to break the forums so that probably contributed, and CoC used to be part of SH/SC which made it harder to find programming threads, and and and I'm loving old as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Yeah the road to receiving my Cs degree was chock-full of C's