Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i'd generally set that up as an interrupt pin with a dead simple ISR to increment memory per pulse and worry about reading it out safely at thread time

as-is you're hoping that you catch both sides of every edge with a lot of cycles spent staring at, manipulating, and comparing the current time stamp, completely blocking out other users. that might be fine depending on the application

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volmarias posted:

Probably something that made sense 5 years ago and has been kept running on duct tape, outsourced IT, and an army of contractors.

This sounds a lot more like Universal than Disney. But then again they'd skimp and wouldn't have anywhere near an "army" of contractors, it'd just be Justin.

Disney's UX folks are no slouches. The backstory on the Magic Band is impressive, I can't find the great teardown that shows just how much engineering got baked into the 4 antennas in a compact, IP67 enclosure. Spinning up a warehouse into a UX lab is impressive. I knew a EE who spent a few months working on a test jig setup for one of the antennas.

The online reservations might not have that same high-touch engagement from principal imagineers. I'd start with a history of 'go.com' and figure out where things went from there.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
WSL? Do you actually want WSL? I think you want WSL.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cyril Sneer posted:

Before I make a big effort post, is there a good thread somewhere for asking about software engineering / quality management approaches and best practices?

there's a few gray threads that might be close
Oldie Programming: Career Advice, Questions, Change of Directions
Working in Development: I like my job and I want to do less of it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've seen Excel used to provide a GUI to non-software folks. You'd plug in motor values or whatever and it used a thunk of VBA to speak to the embedded device over a COM port and pull back live sensor readings. Why you'd dismiss it out of hand as a GUI for... handling Excel data? was it? anyway, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

VostokProgram posted:

Would people be interested in a thread for talking about language design and implementation? That would include compilers, interpreters, parsing, code gen, similar stuff.

here u go https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481275

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Skyarb posted:

I have been programming on macbooks for years professionally. I love the unix style terminal and environment. I want to do some work on my windows PC but I want to emulate a mac environment somehow. Its doesn't need to be crazy like a dual boot or VM but I was wondering if there is a way I can emulate a terminal shell, instead of the garbage powershell that windows uses. I just want to be able to easily run things like node, npm, etc from my machine.

Check out WSL - Windows Subsystem for Linux. Gives you a bash shell. It's better integrated than you'd think, perhaps not where you'd want.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's gonna catch you there is if you're trying to put "the same" commit in twice, git's gonna balk and make you muck it up and make it "different"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultrafilter posted:

Ultimately that's a data modeling problem, so it's going to depend on what kind of queries you need to do and what sort of data you need to represent. Do you only need to be able to look up the modifiers for a card, or do you need to be able to find all the cards with a given modifier? Are there a small set of modifiers that won't expand, or are there (e.g.) uncapped multipliers? There are probably other questions that matter, but those are the big two that come to mind right away.

Playing the game I had the same thought as OP, because it's very good at counting things you might miss with strict interpretations. There's a stack of jokers at the top, where order matters, but some joker effects trigger at the start of scoring a hand, some trigger mid-way, some trigger after.

An example: I have a joker that allows Straights and Flushes to be 4 cards. I play these 5 cards:
2c Jc Qc Kd 10(wild suit)

That counts as a Straight Flush. Scoring the hand can involve effects that the player wants to stack (e.g. Face cards add +4m, All Cards count as Face cards).

I definitely would've ended up with a ball-of-twine like Nethack's internals.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
There's one tarot card that mentions rearranging the hand, but that's a little oblique.

Just trying to enumerate the effect sources, there's Vouchers, Jokers, Tarot, Planet, Spectral, Boss Blind? uhh... Cards in Hand, for steel/gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's obviously a trick question asking you to iterate over bresenham's