Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 4, 2004

rjmccall posted:

Anyway, you could do that with punchcard FORTRAN: the literal (say) 42 actually was uniqued to a particular cell, which you could then freely assign to. Supposedly it was useful if you screwed up some earlier literal to temporary "edit" it to the real value, although I imagine this sort of patch very quickly got out of hand.

Do you know what version of the language allowed this? I'm certainly no expert on old Fortran, but I've never come across anything like this working with Fortran IV/66, 77, or 90/95 code. However what I have worked with hasn't been on a punchcard (thankfully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 4, 2004

dunkman posted:

I think I need a different charting program.

gnuplot is definitely the way to go. As ErIog mentioned, it can take CSV, it can accept date/time values and plot them as appropriate, and it can process massive amounts of data. I have actually made plots that have 6 million data points with the program (well the data file had 6 million points, and I made one plot of the whole file to orient oneself and many plots over subintervals of the data for actual use)

Dec 4, 2004

rt4 posted:

Any recommendations for books to get me started into fractals?

I don't see anything in my ACM virtual bookshelf.

I can't say from personal experience, but I've been recommended SuperFractals by Barnsley by a professor (one of those incidental comments like "Oh hey, that is a good book if you ever want to learn about the subject"). It is on my list of books to check out when I have some free time, but be aware from what I've seen it assumes a pretty healthy math background.

Dec 4, 2004

RussianManiac posted:

What is the easiest way to delete all lines matching a certain regex from a file in linux?

code:
grep -v 'regex' file

Dec 4, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have a dumb fortran question. I have a program where I want to declare a few individual doubles and some arrays of doubles of length N. But I don't know what N is; it depends on some nontrivial calculations of the individual values. Right now I have a code that looks like

Assuming you are using Fortran 90 or newer, you are looking for dynamic memory allocation using allocate and deallocate. An example of this can be found at http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/allocate_coin_toss