Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

JawnV6 posted:

Why's the data have to move. Make the compute the thing that moves.

KernelSlanders posted:

Yes, I agree Spark is better than Hadoop if that's what you're getting at, ...

I only know about 1/4 of these proper nouns but I think the point is to do everything lazily.

It's hard to say with out knowing things like how long a usual job takes, or what sort of reductions need to be done for the view. But, I think a good solution is to give the batch system a little status database that references the jobs (if one of these frameworks does not already provide one), and an API for queries on the job status and result. Wrap your batch system up tight in this API.

So, the batch data and results stays in the batch system, and you query that system from the app. If the app must wait for the job to complete (or rather, the job takes < min or two), allow the batch system to push the result back by sending continuation code/query for when the job is finished.

I built a system like this but it used GNU parallel and jobs took hours, as the task at hand involved collecting sensor data online. I'm not sure what the differences might be. GNU parallel is pretty good though.

I guess the more general point is to allow each system/team to be their own little king of data, and make sure that the teams design and document good interfaces to query that data.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I mean standing still is only a step up from sitting still. The best thing to do is to take breaks often.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

Is this something that could be done with a coding language like Autohotkey? My assumption is the biggest challenge will be OCR on the image to determine what cards the player and dealer both have. Past that, it's just a matter of clicking in a certain area to double/hit/stand/split.

I did this exact same thing years ago using C# and everything turned out ok, and I'm in the US. I learned how to make image classifiers too.

AHK is probably want you want to do though.