Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
What are some good resources/books on programming theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

6174 posted:

What aspect are you interested in? Algorithms? Data structures? Programming Languages (either specific language or in general)? Program design? Numerical Analysis? Operating Systems? Something else?

Also a bit about your background may help so you don't get recommended something that is either too simple or too hard.

I'm just a CS freshman with little to no background in anything beyond basic Java/C syntax. Was just wanting to get some basic theory in my head while I'm learning these languages.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

6174 posted:

In that case I'd recommend two books. First, The Practice of Programming by Kernighan and Pike. It will help get some good practices in your head and is a good choice for someone still pretty new to programming. Second is Code Complete by McConnell. It is a handbook of practical advice.

I'll check those out, thanks! Should I wait until I have a language down pretty well to read Code Complete?

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you want some "deep" theory, check out Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming" series (be warned, they are very, very math-heavy).

:)