Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Professor Science posted:

isn't tenenbaum basically a source walkthrough of minix, though? that seems kind of silly.

zootm posted:

I don't think it is. I seem to recall it gives a pretty detailed overview of the construction of various popular kernels.

(I realize I am replying to something a month old, but wanted to share my thoughts.)

Tannenbaum has three systems books. Two general operating systems books, and one distributed systems book. He also has a networking book. Both of Tannenbaum's OS books are referred to as the Minix book, even though only one of them is "The Minix Book" while the other is a more conceptual overview of OSes. If you read Modern Operating Systems, then The Minix Book can probably be replaced by something like Advanced Unix Programming by Marc Rochkind and Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Richard Stevens. Rochkind walks through building a fully featured shell, and Stevens is simply the standard bearer of Unix systems programming writing.

Silberchatz has two systems books. They are both called the Dinosaur Book. One uses Java for examples, though. They both have the majority of the same content. Personally, I hated the Java book; all the examples are toys you cannot do anything with. The regular book is a bit better, but fills your head with stupid metaphors just like the Java book. Don't presume if you know Java really well, "Oh, it's in Java, it will make learning it so much easier".

Z-Bo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
Dumb question.

What is the difference between a Perl regular expression and a regular expression? I tried Googling, but the only interesting thing I found is that two regular expression matching engines can differ based upon their matching technique, backtracking or DFA (interesting but not pertinent).

Comment by Bill McCloskey on http://blog.mozilla.com/dmandelin/2008/10/06/squirrelfishing-in-regexp-dnajs/ posted:

the backtracking approach doesn’t use longest-match semantics as the NFA approach does. So the two techniques differ in more than their performance properties. Here’s an example, written in Python:
import re
re.match(’(|a)*’, ‘aaaaa’).span() # returns (0, 0)
I would expect the whole string to match, but instead only the epsilon at the beginning of the string matches. This seems really weird to me, but it’s how all backtracking-based matchers work: they pick the “left-most match” rather than the longest one.

It’s too bad that getting NFA-based matchers to do grouping is such a pain in the rear end.

What I'm looking for are examples of how a (Ruby|Java|.NET) regex might match differently in Perl, and why?

I did find ECMAScript 3 Regular Expressions are Defective by Design, but that looks like a special case.

My basic question is: is there a portable syntax for (a subset of) regexes?