Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you want some "deep" theory, check out Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming" series (be warned, they are very, very math-heavy).
Oh that series that people have on their bookshelf so they can be like, "Oh, yes, I've read the Art of Computer Programming, yessssss, I am smoking a pipe now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
Oh, I guess if we're going to talk about algorithms books we should talk about CLRS. Probably the Dragon Book for compilers, Dinosaur Book for high-level OS concepts, Russell and Norvig for AI, Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective for an intro to systems programming...

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

more falafel please posted:

I didn't like the dinosaur book, Tenenbaum was much better.

Also, I would suggest Stevens - Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment.
isn't tenenbaum basically a source walkthrough of minix, though? that seems kind of silly.