Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contract Otter
May 31, 2007
I've now gone through two courses of Java-programming in my university and while I feel I know the basics of the syntax and object orientated programming, I'm a little frustrated that I don't really know how to program anything usable or sensible. Knowing how to program Game of Life or how to implement interfaces isn't exactly an adrenaline rush.

So do you have any advice where to go from here towards actual programming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contract Otter
May 31, 2007

Twitchy posted:

There's no "golden path" when it comes to programming. Just practice... alot, start small and work towards bigger projects, find out what works / is effective and read up on things you'd like to be able to do in your apps and apply them. Sort of generic advice, but programming is a pretty big subject that it's impossible to have "do this, then do that".

Yeah, I guess I'll just think of something and start coding.

such a nice boy posted:

Don't say orientated.

I'm actually pretty impressed how stupid I made myself seem but I guess I'm just not linguistics orientated enough.