Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakyPriest
Oct 31, 2011

Insane Totoro posted:

Well I thought I might just be able to iterate through the .txt file and create an array based on the length of that .txt file. However the .txt file does not always have a consistent number of words. How can I declare an array if I don't know how long the array needs to be? And given the way I must name the method, it seems I cannot even return an array from the method. This seems very confusing to me and I am at a loss as to what I should be doing. I suppose I could write my own method that lets me return something but that seems to violate the "terms" of the assignment.

Depending on whether this also violates the terms of the assignment or not, consider using an ArrayList. It's essentially an array that grows as you add to it; since you don't know the size of the array in advance it seems like it would be a good fit.

About not being able to return an array from the method: if you declare/initialize the array outside of the method, you can modify it. That is, if you do something like:

code:
class YourAssignmentClass
{
	public ArrayList<String> text;
	public static void main(String args[])
	{
		text = new ArrayList<String>();
	}
}
Then within the method you can add Strings as you read them, and they won't be lost when you leave the scope of the method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU