Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Whats the current state of the art for Java desktop apps? Still Swing? If so, how native can you get them to look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Your assignments are backwards.

x = sortingArray[0] should be sortingArray[0] = x

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Be very very careful with Packt, most of those books aren't worth $5.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Safe and Secure! posted:

So what is "modern" Java web development like? It's all enterprise stuff, right? And JSP is considered ancient, as is the slightly more recent JSF? I guess Spring is where modern, enterprise Java development is at, but isn't that just a dependency injection framework with a lovely MVC module available if you hate yourself? Never used Spring, that's just the impression I got from when I was looking for a Java web framework a while ago before I said "gently caress it" and decided I'd rather have some fun with Scala.

I've actually been doing Java web development recently, and it's been pretty nice. For REST you have JAX-RS, which is surprisingly sane, and forms the core of Dropwizard, which is a library for easily building web services. I haven't used Spring MVC, but Spring provides other things like data access and AOP. As far as HTML templating goes, I've been using jade4j, which is just a port of jade to Java. All of this either runs in web container like Tomcat, or as a standalone JAR, so you don't have to muck around with app servers. Overall it's been good, and I haven't seen a lot of the cruft or FactoryFactoryImpls that people associate Java with.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Have you tried Thymeleaf?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Related to the book recommendations above, I really enjoyed The Well Grounded Java Developer. It covers additions to java concurrency that weren't in Java Concurrency In Practice, as well as giving an intro to a lot of other Java topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
That's because it was written mainly by the same person behind JodaTime. He keeps a blog of the work he's being doing on it http://blog.joda.org/