Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Not being a java dev or even knowing java I've been given 2k lines of uncommented code that I did not write to own. It lives in a SaaS solution.

The method that's called is passed multiple SQL statements for tables that do not exist locally as well as a flat file of employee information. I do not have a development workspace where I can setup temp tables for testing nor would I really be able to without being able to setup a mini SaaS product. Pushing code up to the SaaS solution and a test run after any changes takes about 4 hours.

Having never used Eclipse or any other java IDE I have no idea how I can step through this code to see what methods are actually being used. There are methods in different classes with the same name, some are called, some are literally example code the vendor threw in there from their KBs which I know are not used. I need to get familiarity with Eclipse before I start to modify this, and using "Control + H" on methods is making my eyes bleed. I know when compiling the Jar if I delete the wrong method or class it'll let me know, but I want to approach it in the inverse so I can get these 2k lines of code down to a more manageable 800 or so.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good Eclipse primer and the OP is like 14 years old.

I am very sorry, but what you are describing is a horrible nightmare of programming that I would never wish on another developer.

At that point I wouldn't even try to salvage it into "working". I would try to refactor it into a couple of objectives mapped into classes and several runtimes into routines to accomplish a certain thing?

Eclipse is just a thing to vomit boilerplate code into your project. It isn't necessary to do what you want. Please just break it apart into more pieces with more concrete objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU