Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm looking for guidance on recommended online Java studying resources. I'm in-between a junior and senior-level type of corporate programming position, and having to switch focus from the .NET framework to Java due to being placed in a new development group that is completely Java oriented.

I'm concerned about building up my Java knowledge so I can hold my own in the new position, as opposed to interviewing for a new job. I'm already using Eclipse at work and have access to a lot of Java source code to help me hit the ground running.

I know some aspects of the Java language and have worked on modifying existing code in a few Java-based projects, but now I need to bulk up on the fundamentals, design patterns, various frameworks and APIs (JMS, Spring, threading, etc.).

For plain Java, Eckel's Thinking in Java was recommended earlier in this thread, and I noticed his 3rd edition, published in 2002, is available for free but his 4th edition is not free. Here's a link to the third edition, which has link to 4th edition page:
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

Are there any significant differences between Eckel's 3rd and 4th editions that I should consider purchasing the 4th edition instead? I don't mind spending money if I will be able to obtain the latest-and-greatest information.

How useful are Sun's Java Learning Center pages?
http://java.sun.com/learning/index.html

How effective is the Java Blackbelt site for testing your own knowledge for various Java-based frameworks and APIs?
http://www.javablackbelt.com/

On first glance I'm not crazy about javablackbelt.com's contribution-point system, since I do not like have my learning held back by a system that requires me to spend time attempting to add value to website content based on a subjective criteria. I also don't like their mandatory waiting period to retake tests, unless I can skip the belt-obtainment altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Spartan22x posted:

Okay, I have an Eclipse problem. I'm trying to do a school project with it, but I can't figure out how to get it to do what I need it to. I have a large set of precomplied class files which don't have any source files with them (well, only 2 have their source code, the rest are just .class files). I'm trying to do a project in which I have to extend the one class that I have the source for. However, when I try to use that directory with Eclipse, it deletes all of the .class files. Is there any way I can make a project with a preexisting library of .class files in eclipse?

Hmm, perhaps you need to treat the existing class files with no source code as external libraries for the project, which is no different than referencing a separate jar file.

Put your class files in a separate directory from the source folder, then open up your Java project's properties and add the classes as a library (under the libraries tab of the Java Build Path setting). Just leave out the classes from the class folder that you have the source-code for, since Eclipse will build new classes for those .java files.