Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

I'm writing an applet which plays a card game, but I wrote it misunderstanding how the game works. How it's supposed to work: three cards are drawn, two are put face up, user enters how much money he/she would like to bet that the integer value of the third card is between the two being shown, third card is shown and winnings are added/subtracted accordingly. How I wrote it: user enters how much money they'd like to bet, all 3 cards are drawn at once and uses whatever bet was given before beginning the round.

beginRound is the function that compares the cards, determines if the card is in between the first and second card drawn, and accordingly adds/subtracts from the user's total winnings.

The user enters into a textfield his/her bet and any button clicked will automatically get the bet for the user, but how do I make it so for begin round, two cards are drawn, and then have the program wait for the user to enter a new bet and click the corresponding button associated with bet before continuing with the rest of the function? I feel like right after the line with curCard3 is where it should wait for the user's bet before continuing, but I can't find any information on how to make the program wait on a non-input dialog basis. The rest of the program works perfectly. Thank you!

code:
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e)
	{
		// Gets the user's bet no matter what action is called
		int currentBet = getBet();

// Starts the round, calls function to get the winnings
		// and appends them
		if (e.getActionCommand().equals("startround"))
		{
			// Deals three cards, first two displayed to user, all removed from deck 
			curCard1 = deck.dealCard();
			curCard2 = deck.dealCard();
			curCard3 = deck.dealCard();

newWinnings = beginRound(currentBet, currentWinnings);
			currentWinnings = newWinnings;
			displayWinnings.setText("" + currentWinnings + "");
		}

// Gets the user's bet
		if (e.getActionCommand().equals("bet"))
		{
			currentBet = getBet();
		}

// If user wants a new game, erases winnings, clears
		// text areas, and creates a new deck
		if (e.getActionCommand().equals("newgame"))
		{
			currentWinnings = 0;
			displayWinnings.setText(null);
			deck.shuffle();
		}
	} // end actionPerformed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

triplekungfu posted:

I may be missing something, but shouldn't the flow go something like this:
[list=1]
[*]Display 2 cards
[*]Accept user's bet
[*]Final card and winnings calculation
[/list]
Now, #1 is triggered by "startround", #2 by "bet", and #3 by #2?

You're right, I knew something didn't seem right. I solved the problem by dealing the cards in the start round function and moving the actual comparison and calculation functions and display into the bet.

The GUI includes 3 buttons: Start a New Game (start from scratch), Start A New Round (deals 3 new cards and displays 2), and Bet (gets the bet from the user, displays the last card, and gives output). So the flow is now identical to what you just posted. This is really rough (error-checking statements to be added, variable names are hosed up, graphic display of cards to add), but it works. Thank you!

code:
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e)
	{
		int currentBet;

// Deals 3 cards and displays first 2 so user can bet
		if (e.getActionCommand().equals("startround"))
		{
			curCard1 = deck.dealCard();
			curCard2 = deck.dealCard();
			curCard3 = deck.dealCard();
			displayBet.append("Card 1: " + curCard1 + "\nCard 2: " + curCard2 + "\nCard 3: ");
		}

// Gets the user's bet after displaying the first two cards
		if (e.getActionCommand().equals("bet"))
		{
			currentBet = getBet();

// Calculates the amount of cards left in the deck
			noCardsLeft = deck.cardsLeft();

// Calculates if third card is between first two, appends final card with results
			newWinnings = beginRound(currentBet, currentWinnings);
			displayBet.append("" + curCard3 + "\n\n" + noCardsLeft + "\n\n");
			currentWinnings = newWinnings;
			displayWinnings.setText("" + currentWinnings + "");
		}

// If user wants a new game, erases winnings, clears
		// text areas, and creates a new deck
		if (e.getActionCommand().equals("newgame"))
		{
			currentWinnings = 0;
			displayWinnings.setText(null);
			deck.shuffle();
		}
	} // end actionPerformed
Out of curiousity for the future, though, does anyone know a better way for making a program wait on a non-input dialog basis besides the sleep method BELL END mentioned?