Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

boxen posted:

This is probably what I'll end up doing, although I don't know that I'll be able to ground it to anything (maybe the body if I can find a spot). It seems weird that such a thing doesn't exist, but what's insane to me is that at Home Depot I found a 100 foot, 2-prong cord (with I think 16 gauge wire), but nothing in the 10-25ft range.

There is no protected earth ground on a vehicle because it's literally insulated from the ground. That's why many vehicles have 2 prong outlets on inverters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
A 2 prong adapter and a 3 wire cord is functionally the same as the two wire cord you're looking to use. The ground doesn't need to be tied into anything because you aren't planning on using it anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Decent two-prong extension cords do exist but they're rare. I have one somewhere that's built like a typical three-prong cord and I cannot remember where the hell it came from.

In your shoes I'd just snip the tip and be done with it. Store the cord in the car so it never gets used elsewhere.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you snip the tip, cram it into the other end so you can't accidentally plug a three prong cord into it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

boxen posted:

Is there such a thing as a quality 2-prong polarized extension cord?

I bought Ridgeline a few months ago, and it has a max 400W outlet in the bed. It would be handy for blowing up air mattresses for camping and small stuff like that, but to get the most use out of it I'd need an extension cord. I'm only looking for something around 10-15 feet, but all of the 2-prong cords I find are the cheaper indoor ones, and I really like my good Flexilla cords.

This has been beat to death but I'm still very skeptical about deactivating safety features on certified electrical equipment. Not quite Widowmaker cable but, yeah. Eventually someone is going to pull that out of your car use that in the garage or whatever.

Why does your non grounded cable need to be outdoor certified? I would drop that requirement before modifying safety features of a grounded cable

I'm looking at a 8' "coordinate 8' 3 outlet polarized extension cord" for $6.99 on targets website, no ground issue. Two prong. I searched for "lamp extension cord" with lots of results. I'm sure a 10 and 12' versions exist that meet your needs.

The outlet has max 400w that's about 3.33 amps @ 120v, the cord I found is rated for 13 amps.

Maybe you could snip the tip, then pour epoxy in the female side to permanently disable it as a fake grounded cable

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 26, 2024

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I was hoping for an "outdoor certified" one because the idea that it would bounce around in my vehicle somewhere, get used in the cold and went, repeatedly coiled/uncoiled, etc, versus spending it's life behind a couch in a dry 70 degrees. I have some Flexilla cords that I like using, they remain flexible when it's cold, have good sheathing, and the end lights up when they're plugged in, and I was shopping for something along those lines.

I don't really want to buy a cord and then remove functionality from it by breaking off a pin and then epoxying the other end, but either that or an adapter seem to be my options.

Thanks everyone.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Buy this and this and some of this.

Make your own drat extension cord exactly how you want.

(You can buy the wire at a local hardware store and not buy 100 feet, and you can buy other plugs if you don't like those - you're looking for a 1-15P (plug/male end) and 1-15R (receptacle/female) end. If you want it even gnarlier, get SJOOW (instead of SOOW, what I linked) cable.)

edit: That might have sounded more flippant than I intended. I asked about extension cords awhile ago and got basically this advice and have been extremely happy with my custom cords ever since.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 26, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Krakkles posted:

(You can buy the wire at a local hardware store and not buy 100 feet, and you can buy other plugs if you don't like those - you're looking for a 1-15P (plug/male end) and 1-15R (receptacle/female) end. If you want it even gnarlier, get SJOOW (instead of SOOW, what I linked) cable.)

edit: That might have sounded more flippant than I intended. I asked about extension cords awhile ago and got basically this advice and have been extremely happy with my custom cords ever since.

I thought SOOW was good to 600v, and SJOOW was only good to 300v

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The extent of my knowledge on the subject was:

Motronic posted:

I mean, this isn't really as big of a deal as you might think. Just don'tbe real dumb with where you have your cords.

But it's also one of the reasons I said SJOOW. It's all kinds of water/oil/etc resistant and generally will just last a long time in that kind of service. It's also expensive, but to be fair anything with an appropriate current carrying capacity is going to be be. It's just a lot of copper.
But your comment lead me to google, and yep, you're exactly right. So OP, you could do the SJOOW because apparently the SOOW is even more overkill.

If anyone else is curious, here is the article I read and learned from!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For the lazy

quote:

SOOW stands for: S = Service Cord (600 Volts) OO = Oil Resistant both inside insulation and outside jacket. W = CSA designation for weather/water resistance.

The J stands for "Junior" meaning junior voltage, 300 instead of 600v

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Both of which are perfectly fine and more than OP needs! I just wanted to point out that, of the two, SOOW was most overkill

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just to be pedantic, but for an extension cable permanently stored in a gas powered vehicle, it's probably not overkill, SJOOW is probably the exactly correct cable/spec for the job. SOOW would merely be slight overkill.

If there's an option for a kevlar braided sleeve for added abrasion resistance, that would be overkill :black101::hf::ese:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Just to be pedantic, but for an extension cable permanently stored in a gas powered vehicle, it's probably not overkill, SJOOW is probably the exactly correct cable/spec for the job. SOOW would merely be slight overkill.

If there's an option for a kevlar braided sleeve for added abrasion resistance, that would be overkill :black101::hf::ese:

Not if you happen to need to tow someone out and don't have a tow strap! :science:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Goddammit, THANK YOU. I was going to do this when I first couldn't find a cord but I COULD NOT find the female end, probably because I didn't know the "1-15R" term to google it. I even checked McMaster-Carr and didn't come up with anything, that's what first made me think that it might not exist. Funny that Zoro has them, aren't they a sibling/child of McMaster-Carr?

boxen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 27, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boxen posted:

Funny that Zoro has them, aren't they a sibling/child of McMaster-Carr?

Everyone who even pretends to supply the electrical trade has them. It's a very standard and common part.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Motronic posted:

Everyone who even pretends to supply the electrical trade has them. It's a very standard and common part.

In fact, even Menards has them:
https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=1-15R

For those not in the know, Menards is the Walmart to Home Depot's Target and is pronounced like someone from the 90s talking about their testicles.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Menards is way better than Home Depot and Lowe's. It's literally the only thing from the Midwest that I miss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

In fact, even Menards has them:
https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=1-15R

For those not in the know, Menards is the Walmart to Home Depot's Target and is pronounced like someone from the 90s talking about their testicles.

As someone not in the midwest but growing up watching Indycar, I had no idea what Menards was other than "purveyor of very brightly painted racecars".

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Galler posted:

Menards is way better than Home Depot and Lowe's. It's literally the only thing from the Midwest that I miss.

For me there's just something about Menards that makes my teeth itch when I'm there. It's like if Wall-e needed to buy a socket wrench and went to the Buy n Large hardware store, it would just be a Menards.

I will at least concede that their unorthodox approach to shelf/overstock layout let's them carry a bunch of weird poo poo their blue and orange competitors don't have room for. Whenever I'm there it's because I need some large socket or metric tap or whatever and don't want to order it.

Alright, it's also fun to say "Ow, Menards!" as I drive past one.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
John Menard is an exceptionally large pile of poo poo. I still shop there when I need to however, the outdoor lumber yard is so much more convenient than the blue and orange retailers.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
A Menards opened about 30 min away from me just before the pandemic. Went a few times and was pretty unimpressed with most of it, but their lumber seemed to be much higher quality than the poo poo that HD sells.

The true Midwestern gem is Meijer, anyway.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SpeedFreek posted:

John Menard is an exceptionally large pile of poo poo

I was certain that John Menard was the obnoxiously enthusiastic spokesman they had for many years, but they are different people.

He's saving big money at the hardware store in the sky now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've heard good things and Menards' lumber, although it sounds like a pain if you only need 1 board.

stealie72 posted:

The true Midwestern gem is Meijer, anyway.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard good things and Menards' lumber, although it sounds like a pain if you only need 1 board.

?
You order online, drive in the lumber yard, dig through the pile until you find one straight enough, then drive out. You only need to show the email on your phone on the way in and out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Sometimes I buy other things and one board and now it's either two transactions or looking up item numbers instead of just handing the cashier something with a barcode on the end. Not usually how I buy lumber but it comes up.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Buying lumber from inside the store just seems weird anyway. I grew up with outdoor lumberyards aplenty though.

Menards was also the highest paying job that didn’t require a high school diploma/ged

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
One thing I don't miss about my local lumberyard was the wood getting wet every time it rained.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The treated lumber is kept outside at the ones near me so it takes two people to load 3/4 plywood when its really wet, everything else is in open ended pole barns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Buying lumber from inside the store just seems weird anyway. I grew up with outdoor lumberyards aplenty though.

Menards was also the highest paying job that didn’t require a high school diploma/ged

Go to Menards you'll run into 10 employees that knows what aisle poo poo is in within 15 minutes. When you check out the lanes are 2 maybe 3 people deep.

HD or Lowes, you can walk for days before finding a zombie employee then have the pleasure of loving around a self-scan station.