Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Colostomy Bag posted:

^Nice.

Looking at finally getting around to fish some CAT6 cable for networking in my multistory house.

I was thinking flexible rods with drill bit for initial stages...any tips/tricks/kits let me know.

There's a lot of tricks for network cable installs. First you've got long slightly flexible drill bits for trying to get through joists or floors from adjacent areas or the walls above. It can be difficult but the idea is to make the hole and fish the string you're using to pull your wire through with these if you can:
https://www.amazon.com/Installer-Drill-Auger-Style-16inch/dp/B08MLJ2LZV/

You can also just make your holes with a regular drill bit and use either fish tape (springy metal in a roll you can pull through) or a set of fiberglass rods that screw together to the length you need. I've got both in my network running tools setup:
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-56331-Optimized-Housing/dp/B081TVR4N7/
https://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Running-Electrical-Different-Attachments/dp/B0B38KV7BQ/

It's usually handy to pull through some string and follow that with the wire but it depends how tight things are. I usually end up taping stuff to the fish tool so it doesn't get loose while pulling.

When you want to terminate your runs you should consider a central location near your network equipment (switch, router) to have a patch panel and then some wall jacks for where the runs terminate in the rooms. I've had pretty good luck with either baseboard mount ethernet jacks for the latter or keystone style jacks for the patch panel or wall plates. You can put in low voltage boxes (more of a frame really) in your walls to secure the front plate of a wall jack if you go that way (these ones have the little wings spin out and then tighten to the back of the wall as you turn the screws):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NJGL3QZ/

I don't remember what brand of baseboard mount boxes I got but these are similar:
https://www.amazon.com/VCELINK-Surface-Compatible-Stranded-Network/dp/B09MCDV9WJ/

For keystone stuff I've used Cable Matters stuff and Monoprice, they seem to work okay, I haven't had much trouble running a few dozen runs with their products:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IO3HEN6/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2YCNA/

If you're buying a lot of stuff at once there's usually bulk discounts on monoprice's website:
https://www.monoprice.com/category/pages/3

To punch down into the keystone jacks you want a 110 punch down tool. They're pretty cheap, I have one on my multitool but this one's probably fine. The pointy side severs the wire on the outside of the punch down:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM/

It's worthwhile to have at least a cheap cable tester to make sure your runs are good before you button everything up, too. I've had cable be bad right off the roll but also get damaged during install pulls. One of the cheap ones is usually fine for this, they're like $10-15.

Lastly there's a home networking thread that may be helpful if you run into issues:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rexxed posted:

There's a lot of tricks for network cable installs. First you've got long slightly flexible drill bits for trying to get through joists or floors from adjacent areas or the walls above. It can be difficult but the idea is to make the hole and fish the string you're using to pull your wire through with these if you can:
https://www.amazon.com/Installer-Drill-Auger-Style-16inch/dp/B08MLJ2LZV/

Thank you...that is what I was looking for to get started...cut out some drywall and spin that bit through some 2x4 plates to my "wiring closet" which is a basement stairwell. And I'll have to shoot some other stuff over...ugh. Anyways, thank you.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

^Nice.

Looking at finally getting around to fish some CAT6 cable for networking in my multistory house.

I was thinking flexible rods with drill bit for initial stages...any tips/tricks/kits let me know.

I just received this two days ago and I am already excited to try it out

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/wire-pulling-system/magnetic-wire-puller

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

johnnyonetime posted:

I just received this two days ago and I am already excited to try it out

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/wire-pulling-system/magnetic-wire-puller

I DIYd this once with a magnet from an old hard drive and a grocery bag with some washers in it. It made the particular troublesome pull I was doing a lot easier.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fiberglass rods are a very useful tool to have for fishing any kind of wiring, not just low voltage. At a minimum it’s useful for pushing pull strings through wall cavities.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

At the end of this ordeal I'm thinking I'll need a ferret.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Im going to be honest, I retrofitted my whole house with cat-5 about 10 years ago and at this point I really just run wireless (WAP) to a couple of hardwired points. Are you worried about security? House is about 3200 SFT on 3 levels and no one ever plugs into the hard ports I put in. Tonight the wife hung a picture over the sound system control panel I installed as part of whole house audio. A few random echos are better than the 3K I spent on that poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a mix of 2nd and third oldest Google mesh stuff and I've never had to think about it. The cable Internet comes into the middle of the house which serves most of the house, and then there's a mesh point over the garage/driveway at the front left of the house, and a second mesh point at the back of the house on the opposite side in the back right. It's pretty good coverage. Going out to the fence line it starts to get a little sketchy, but that's plenty.

I'll probably wire hard lines for those end points, some day. Coverage is a lot better when they're hard wired instead of wireless mesh

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have hardwired drops in every single room of the house (minus the kitchen and dining room), but the only three devices actually hard-wired are my PC, the Nvidia Shield in the living room, and the Unifi AP on the ceiling on the second floor. But when I finish the basement, I'll still be running cat5 to all the rooms, plus likely an additional ceiling port for another AP. It's cheap, and easy to do while the walls are open.

I am probably going to pull some sort of fiber up to the attic before I finish the basement, though. Easier to do now for a bit of future-proofing that future me will hopefully be thankful for.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Double post, but in actual tool discussion, I finally picked up a pressure bleeder and caps for 2 of the 3 cars. One of these Motive knockoffs:

After figuring out why it wouldn't build pressure (rubber ring in the pump was installed backwards) it works great, made bleeding all four corners super easy pumped to 10psi. Or would have, if both the bleeders on my front calipers weren't seized 😔

I need to track down a 78mm threaded cap for my old Mitsubishi, but otherwise I'm happy with it. Though honestly, it wasn't that much cheaper than buying from Motive. $66 for the unit itself, $15 for the Subaru cap, vs $99 for the Motive with hopefully the correct cap for both Subarus. Though I should be able to find caps for all the oddball vehicles I touch with the quick connect fitting from whatever shady Amazon sellers, and the fitting is easy to swap around on this one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I built my house in ~2016 and have every room hardwired with 5e. I was thinking that I wish it was 6+, but then I realized that if I require more than gigabit I'll probably just eat a bullet at that point as society will be totally hosed.

I just saw a dishwasher at Costco that had wifi and boasted "remote starting from anywhere" so I guess I'd better start thinking about the calibre :(

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I hate to be the justification for that but I think it’s probably smarter to start the dishwasher on your way home than right as you leave the house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In California electricity prices are about 20-40% higher during peak hours, from 4-9pm, you'd save more money running it from 8-10am

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's fair, or, you know, you could do a delayed start which has been available on dishwashers since something like the 90s instead of making it wifi just because you ~can~

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've never lived somewhere that had cheap electricity at some point in the day, so I just start the dishwasher as soon as I load it because I know I'll never remember otherwise.

I'd also never remember the name of the dishwasher app, so any hope of Dishes over IP is right out

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I'm now a torque wrench owner. Cheapo 20 bucks torque wrench (42-210nm) but I suppose it's better than nothing.

That's 31-155 ft-lb for imperials

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was looking at one of those brake fluid pressure bleeders myself. I've also heard some say the vacuum based ones are better. So I dunno! The ability to drain all four wheels at once sounds good to me though.

I'm wondering do you stop and fill in fresh brake fluid before the container gets empty to avoid getting air into the system?

Edit:
I also bought one of these pressure sprayers, they're only 5 euros.

I bought one last summer and keep wheel cleaning fluid in it, it's pretty harsh but no problems. So I bought another one and filled it with mineral spirits and some rando oil (gear oil, out of ATF) and I use it to spray things down with oil.

I've killed several squeeze bottles and one pressurized model in aluminum over the years and the common ingredient in all of them has been acetone. Acetone seems to be the absolue worst. Brake cleaner hasn't been a problem at all but acetone murders the seals.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 5, 2024

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I just dumped an entire quart in the reservoir, and my collection bottle is slightly smaller than that. So I know when my pressure tank is running low based on how full my collection bottle is. And being able to just move from one caliper to the next, crack open the bleeder, and watch is way easier, and faster than gravity bleeding

I had one of the vacuum bleeders like that one, used shop air to create the vacuum in the tank. I pitched it in the trash last time I cleaned the garage, because gravity bleeding was easier.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I have a vacuum bleeder and it came with a jug you put on top of the reservoir to keep it topped up while bleeding.

I’m happy with the bleeder but it’s definitely not fast, if that’s a concern.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any recommendations on bushing removal tools? I have a 20 ton shop press but I don't have a large assortment of adapters, and half the time I'm replacing control arm bushings they don't fit right in the press anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I get by with sockets and a seal/bearing pusher set (harbor freight https://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-bearing-and-seal-driver-set-16-pc-58262.html)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Same. Bought the 3/4 drive socket set +pusher kit 6+ years ago and haven't needed much else.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks guys!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I bought this set shortly after buying my press: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01443Z21A . It's worked out pretty well, and with the 1 mm increments you're never stuck using one that's a little too small and deforming a seal or whatever.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I built my house in ~2016 and have every room hardwired with 5e. I was thinking that I wish it was 6+, but then I realized that if I require more than gigabit I'll probably just eat a bullet at that point as society will be totally hosed.

I just saw a dishwasher at Costco that had wifi and boasted "remote starting from anywhere" so I guess I'd better start thinking about the calibre :(

5e will still do the new 2.5Gbit standard, so you'll be fine for the foreseeable future.

I don't wanna spout "640k should be enough for everyone" but really, apart from huge game downloads/OS updates or warez, you could probably get by with 100Mbit all day long and never feel a difference.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i just bought a switch and some nics so i can upgrade to 10G

haven't gotten it all hooked up yet, but 100mbit vs good wifi vs gbit is extremely noticeable so im hoping 10G will at least move the bottleneck to the disks until the fileserver gets an upgrade in a couple years

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

i just bought a switch and some nics so i can upgrade to 10G

haven't gotten it all hooked up yet, but 100mbit vs good wifi vs gbit is extremely noticeable so im hoping 10G will at least move the bottleneck to the disks until the fileserver gets an upgrade in a couple years

I mean, if you're talking about server to storage yeah, 10G is the way to go. It was a great upgrade from gige for me, but not exactly mind blowing even for running a dozen VMs - it's great when you're booting everything at once or doing updates or whatever, but on a day to day basis with things up and running? No real difference. For most client stuff bolind is right.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

I mean, if you're talking about server to storage yeah, 10G is the way to go. It was a great upgrade from gige for me, but not exactly mind blowing even for running a dozen VMs - it's great when you're booting everything at once or doing updates or whatever, but on a day to day basis with things up and running? No real difference. For most client stuff bolind is right.

i guess ill find out!

i try to not have much media on my actual desktop, most storage is off on the file server. so the difference between local SSD and spinnydisk on the other side of gigE is pretty stark.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

i guess ill find out!

i try to not have much media on my actual desktop, most storage is off on the file server. so the difference between local SSD and spinnydisk on the other side of gigE is pretty stark.

Oh yeah, if you have enough spinning rust in your array you'll get what absolutely feels like SSD performance over 10 gige for home gamer stuff. I don't bother measuring much at home because that feels like what people pay me to do, but it's totally a great upgrade that you will appreciate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gig-E is just barely tolerable for loading games off a network attached storage device/home server. Or it was when I was doing it with steam games in 2015. I bet 10 gigabit is probably pretty reasonable but I haven't taken the plunge yet

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

Gig-E is just barely tolerable for loading games off a network attached storage device/home server. Or it was when I was doing it with steam games in 2015. I bet 10 gigabit is probably pretty reasonable but I haven't taken the plunge yet

it's finally getting affordable. i got a brocade switch off ebay for i think it was $120, plus three NICs at the flea market for $30ish. it had better be, this poo poo's like a decade old by now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a Synology 4 disk NAS I bought in 2017 and it... Just loving Works? I've never had an attachment to technology but I really love how effortless it is. It's the storage equivalent of a very sturdy toaster. If Milwaukee sold a toaster. That also served files.

When (if?) it finally dies, I'll buy a replacement that either has 10gbe, or has an expansion slot to upgrade it

2017 was also the last year to not have dual M2 slots for caching read/write which is another major bummer. Synology has some kind of caching magic that keeps your most commonly used files (like video games) on the M.2 ready to go

Anyways that's the big hurdle for me. That, and I was living in tiny cramped urban apartments with no room for a full size desktop, but that's all changed now

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

bolind posted:

5e will still do the new 2.5Gbit standard, so you'll be fine for the foreseeable future.

I don't wanna spout "640k should be enough for everyone" but really, apart from huge game downloads/OS updates or warez, you could probably get by with 100Mbit all day long and never feel a difference.

I've tried to explain this to more than a few ISP phone salesmen over the years. 100/100 is fine for my family. If there's an occasional huge download going on I'm okay with it taking a while. I don't want to pay more money for faster internet, I want to pay less money for the same as I have now but that's never part of their pitch so I just hang up.
Dad is an old computer guy who was a driving force on the board of his housing co-op when it was time to wire up the nearly 100 apartments about a decade ago. They didn't do what the pros wanted them to do at all, didn't use fiber and went with copper instead and saved a bunch on hardware, and they have a single ISP contract with the outside world. Not sure how fast but I assume it's just a few Gbits. As a consequence every apartment gets really fast internet for cheap enough to almost be a rounding error. There hasn't been an issue with limited bandwidth yet AFAIK. At this point in time I'd think that if you can manage to stream the world cup final or whatever in 4K on one screen per apartment it's probably more than enough for any edge case.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 12, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think we have 250 or 500 mbits I honestly don't remember, but I don't really see a need for more, every single person in the family could be watching youtube with the TV streaming some stupid poo poo and I could be downloading something huge and nobody would notice. I refuse to pay more anyway, 39 euros /month is plenty expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invalido posted:

They didn't do what the pros wanted them to do at all, didn't use fiber and went with copper instead and saved a bunch on hardware, and they have a single ISP contract with the outside world. Not sure how fast but I assume it's just a few Gbits. As a consequence every apartment gets really fast internet for cheap enough to almost be a rounding error. There hasn't been an issue with limited bandwidth yet AFAIK. At this point in time I'd think that if you can manage to stream the world cup final or whatever in 4K on one screen per apartment it's probably more than enough for any edge case.

As far as install, of course not: copper doesn't has as much profit in it. As far as the ISP, they want to push end users to buy as much bandwidth as possible of course, but also they want to be the ones to oversubscribe. When the end users are oversubscribing it throws off their ratio (read: profit). This is less and less meaningful today with how cheap reall really fast optics are for long haul fiber today (the same fibe that when installed was hauling 100 Mbit is now routinely hauling 100 Gbit with just equipment/optics swaps - and 400 gbit is just around the corner).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
400gig is the new defacto if you can afford it. 800gig is the hottest we’re willing to ogle over at work. As we rip/replace our aging Cisco environment, going 4x400gig for our leaf/spine uplinks makes the most sense over the 7-10 year life in prod. Our dark fiber is utilizing 200gig. As far as what you need at home goes, between Ubiquiti and Microtik, 10g/2.5g is down right affordable. Cables and optics from fs.com have brought incredible speeds down to the prosumer. What’s funny to me is, 10gig is no longer common place having been replaced 4/5 years ago with 25gig. I only have a single 10gig cluster in our environment and it’s for backups. Homelab wise I took out my brocade switch and 10gig in favor of lower power 2.5g with a 10g uplink to my truenas box. Works amazing for what little I need.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

the spyder posted:

400gig is the new defacto if you can afford it. 800gig is the hottest we’re willing to ogle over at work. As we rip/replace our aging Cisco environment, going 4x400gig for our leaf/spine uplinks makes the most sense over the 7-10 year life in prod. Our dark fiber is utilizing 200gig. As far as what you need at home goes, between Ubiquiti and Microtik, 10g/2.5g is down right affordable. Cables and optics from fs.com have brought incredible speeds down to the prosumer. What’s funny to me is, 10gig is no longer common place having been replaced 4/5 years ago with 25gig. I only have a single 10gig cluster in our environment and it’s for backups. Homelab wise I took out my brocade switch and 10gig in favor of lower power 2.5g with a 10g uplink to my truenas box. Works amazing for what little I need.

I switched my home network to sfp/sfp+ switches and the main one near the NAS has two 25Gbps capable ports. Right now I am running 10Gpbs but am debating getting a used 25Gbps mellanox for the NAS. The main consumer of the NAS is a Mac and right now it's limited to 10Gbps so that's my bottleneck.

Since the sfp modules drive the power consumption (for the most part) it's not quite as thirsty unless I activate all the ports. Fiber at home is so nice. The only pain point I have is bringing in the fiber from the outside (crossing the walls).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Upgraded my pliers collection. For the last 20 years I've been using walmart grade junk I would pick up to repair my car in an emergency, selecting for price over quality; and I guess at one point I bought the classic "3 stanley branded pliers for $25" kit which are not absolute junkbut today the teeth are all rounded over and barely useful. I bought a pair of Icon pliers and realized how much phenomenally better they were than anything else I had (Besides the pair of vise-grip brand vise-grips)

Figured if I was happy with the harbor freight knock-off of knipex, I might as well spend the extra $10-15 per pair for the name brand stuff since people seem to universally love them. For the needle nose and "high leverage" I went with the 1000v rated handle because, well, why not, it's a small premium and those are the two I'm most likely to use in a home wiring project (after I've turned off power at the breaker and validated with AC probe).

Picked up XS versions of the pliers wrench and cobra because they were like $20 ea, but mostly because tiny tools are amusing, and perhaps maybe someday useful.

Temu 50-75mm outside micrometer is accurate to 0.01mm which I guess is like, 0.04". The gauge block rod is not flat on both sides. The Digital caliper has molded plastic jaws and is unreliably accurate to 0.1mm, which seems about right.

Really happy with the knipex stuff though, everything is perfect, at least out of the box, and hopefully ought to last a lifetime of DIY stuff

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The 5 inch cobra is my most used size. But I don't own the XS which may surpass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the XS doesn't have the locking button, so that's why i went with the 5", personally

interested to hear if the XS is actually any good