Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Probably worth mentioning, HD has this combo with a M18 Milwaukee 1/2 impact plus the M12 3/8 ratchet, one battery for each and a combo charger for $199.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22RH/313668275

It's the older brushed impact at "only" 450 ft-lbs tightening (and no separate listed loosening torque?), but plenty sufficient for most here I think. The 3/8 ratchet is endlessly handy for under-hood car stuff. I'm fully DeWalt for bigger tools, but I've bought into M12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Which one is this? I'm making a list of things to keep an eye out for holiday/black friday sales. Looks like maybe this one - M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit?

It's this one:

Frank Dillinger posted:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2861-20

This is the midtorque. The one you linked is an older version of the bigger high torque version

And the kit I got is this one:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Combo-Kits/5-or-More-Piece-Kits/2997-27

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

angryrobots posted:

Probably worth mentioning, HD has this combo with a M18 Milwaukee 1/2 impact plus the M12 3/8 ratchet, one battery for each and a combo charger for $199.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22RH/313668275

It's the older brushed impact at "only" 450 ft-lbs tightening (and no separate listed loosening torque?), but plenty sufficient for most here I think. The 3/8 ratchet is endlessly handy for under-hood car stuff. I'm fully DeWalt for bigger tools, but I've bought into M12.

I just got the m12 3/8 stubby but am similarly bought into DeWalt for 18/20v. Is there anything else in the m12 line that's really good/you'd recommend getting?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

builds character posted:

I just got the m12 3/8 stubby but am similarly bought into DeWalt for 18/20v. Is there anything else in the m12 line that's really good/you'd recommend getting?

Fuel Surge 1/4" Hydraulic driver. It's my go-to tool for just about everything in the past year and I absolutely love it. I screwed a few sheets of drywall with it on Friday and put together a modified 4 person workstation with it today. It's as close to a do-all tool as I've ever seen.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Drivers/2551-20

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

builds character posted:

3/8 m12 ratchet, and the multitool is good if you don't have one.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

meatpimp posted:

Fuel Surge 1/4" Hydraulic driver. It's my go-to tool for just about everything in the past year and I absolutely love it. I screwed a few sheets of drywall with it on Friday and put together a modified 4 person workstation with it today. It's as close to a do-all tool as I've ever seen.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Drivers/2551-20

Same here, its a great tool, completely replacing my m12 impact driver and mostly replacing my ridgid 18v impact. My only complaint is mine makes a loudish high pitched noise (the same as my other m12 tools make, but louder). I tried a couple, I don't know if my home depot got a faulty batch or if it's normal.

I've also been using the installation driver for a lot of my lighter duty drilling and driving.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

StormDrain posted:

3/8 m12 ratchet, and the multitool is good if you don't have one.

If you do stuff around the house, a cordless oscillating multi tool is awesome for small plunge cuts and trims etc.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Awesome, thank you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My nut fucker 5000

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD HURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting off my brake job until this arrives.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I got to use a tool I've only looked at in horror before and it was indeed both obscene and traumatising to use. I had to replace a CV boot I had stupidly grazed with a grinder while changing some swaybar links, only I couldn't for the life of me get the CV joint apart. So I summoned all my courage, lubed up this huge plastic cone thing my brother has laying around in his garage and stretched that boot over the whole jagged lump of metal. Luckily I had bought a premium rubber part rather than a slightly cheaper plastic one, so nothing tore but the hole for the axle shaft was a bit sloppy afterwards. Hope I never have to do that again.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Goatse brand boot?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
You're really not helping me process my trauma with that reference.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Sometimes, if one joint won’t separate, try the other one, then put two new boots on if you get it apart that way

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me about deep impact sockets (and asteroid movies overshadowed by armageddon)? I'm also wondering about picking up maybe just a single in 19mm with a plastic sleeve to baby my wheels. This seems like what I want but perhaps a bit pricey. On the other hand amazon listings show brands I've never heard of with reviews that aren't favorable.

Thoughts?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just pick up any old impact socket and some large heat shrink and DIY yourself up a good alternative.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Just pick up any old impact socket and some large heat shrink and DIY yourself up a good alternative.

I have a heat gun from HF and this sounds fun, thanks for the idea!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tell me about deep impact sockets (and asteroid movies overshadowed by armageddon)? I'm also wondering about picking up maybe just a single in 19mm with a plastic sleeve to baby my wheels. This seems like what I want but perhaps a bit pricey. On the other hand amazon listings show brands I've never heard of with reviews that aren't favorable.

Thoughts?
Wera makes a cheaper one.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Or just wrap blue painters tape around one you already have. It works great for me the once or twice a year I rotate my tires

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elviscat posted:

That's the fancy way. To this point, I've just used electrical tape wrapped around the socket.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
any good recs on a multimeter?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I'd wrap some tape around the socket. Replace when worn. Cheap and easy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fluke 101 if you don't need current, 107 if you do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Which one is this? I'm making a list of things to keep an eye out for holiday/black friday sales. Looks like maybe this one - M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit?
Jesus, do they really deliver that much torque? I got the $30 Makita knockoff that does maybe 150nm realistically and it had no trouble with anything so far (haven't tried any huge axle nuts though), that's pretty crazy. Breaking bolts is definitely pretty fun as long as they're easy to replace and you don't have to drill anything out.

Thoughts?
Is protecting the wheels the only purpose of the plastic sleeves? The 21mm one I got is just plain Cr-Mo . But it doesn't touch the wheels in any way so :confused:

Safety Dance posted:

This is the correct answer.

If you're a cheap bastard like me, this Anang is great value and is Dave-approved: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001360039.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.26.761f4c46jKEVIF

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
cheers lads, it'll be mostly for cars and perhaps the inside of a computer now and again so DC only should be just fine

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Safety Dance posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

This is the correct answer.

If you're a cheap bastard like me, this Anang is great value and is Dave-approved: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001360039.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.26.761f4c46jKEVIF
When I asked this a while back, the consensus seemed to be that Flukes were mostly a "paying for the name" kind of thing, and I ended up with the Extech MA445, which seemed to be a better feature set and has been working great for me. And it does current!

mobby_6kl posted:

Jesus, do they really deliver that much torque? I got the $30 Makita knockoff that does maybe 150nm realistically and it had no trouble with anything so far (haven't tried any huge axle nuts though), that's pretty crazy. Breaking bolts is definitely pretty fun as long as they're easy to replace and you don't have to drill anything out.
The new ones deliver even more (1000ft-lbs tightening, 1400 breakaway), and yes, they do.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I really do question what you’d need 1,100 foot pounds of torque for outside of industrial equipment or large semi truck wheel nuts. For regular cars I’ve gotten a ridiculous amount of use out of this 200 ft lbs 6” makita impact. Works great on 36mm axle nuts, motorcycle sprockets, crusty rusted mower blade bolts, wheel lugs, and it’s small and maneuverable for tight spaces like suspension components. Plus the speed control is nice—makes it effectively torque limiting without dicking around with adapters. As a home gamer, I haven’t found anything it cant readily handle. Maybe I just lack imagination?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Going by this page you should buy a lovely one and wrap some blue painters tape around it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I really do question what you’d need 1,100 foot pounds of torque for.................. Maybe I just lack imagination?

Maybe just lack of doing suspension work on cars that have spent their life in the northeast.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Some suspension bolts on ~HD RAM trucks are up there - I ran into one that my old one (the 1100ft-lb model) couldn't take off on a completely rust free Southern California truck.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Maybe just lack of doing suspension work on cars that have spent their life in the northeast.

This, plus the use of extensions really cuts down on force transferred to the actual bolt, so more is better. I was beating some rear brake caliper bolts on my Passat with my 1400ftlb Milwaukee and couldn't break them free. Ended up needing a long breaker bar and a lot of rear end to get them loose. Whoever worked on it before torqued it with the hand of god (along with locktiting the caliper bolts. :wtc:

It never hurts to have more power.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Motronic posted:

This, after a decade everything looks like it's been in the bottom of a lake. That being said the Mid Torque is the one I'd go with as an all around impact wrench, maybe supplement it with a M12 stubby or right angle impact if you work in tight spots.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've been pretty happy with the combo of:
  • 1/2" High Torque for anything particularly tight
  • 3/8" for most things (and smaller spaces)
  • 3/8" Fuel Ratchet for running things on and off
I'd like to add one of the stubbies (and probably replace the 3/8" impact with it, honestly) for even better ability to fit it in smaller spaces, but this combo does pretty much everything.

I like the right angle impact but haven't come up with a reason I need it yet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

its not even that. my car was built in and currently resides in CA, may have never left for all i know. after destroying a couple of the flimsier pitman arm pullers, i got the heavy duty one and it completely stymied my IR air impact. i even bypassed the regulator so the gun was getting the full 120psi and it would just sit there hammering, not budging the screw on the puller. brought it to the house of a friend who has one of the big dewalt cordless impacts, and it just rattled it right off with no issue. just bap bap vrrrt

the modern cordless stuff truly is a wonder. it hits harder and faster than even a decent air impact, and you dont have to drag a hose around

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Or just wrap blue painters tape around one you already have. It works great for me the once or twice a year I rotate my tires

Ah but you see I don't already have one :v:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ah but you see I don't already have one :v:

Touché

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Honda jesus crank bolt is another good use case.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Honda jesus crank bolt is another good use case.
It's a really good one, because an impact gun will always be a better choice for moving parts like that than a breaker bar.

I'm not really sure how the physics of a more or less powerful impact works out there, but I have to imagine more powerful is better.

In other news, I got a welding cabinet today!

But it was broken...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Krakkles posted:

It's a really good one, because an impact gun will always be a better choice for moving parts like that than a breaker bar.

I'm not really sure how the physics of a more or less powerful impact works out there, but I have to imagine more powerful is better.

But it was broken...

WELD THAT poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Krakkles posted:

What did you get? I’m in the market for one for my new MIG...